Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: One of the first women to submerge in a submarine is believed to have been Clara Barton, founder of the American Red Cross.
Memorial Day Idea
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-05-26 12:20 PM (#16162)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Memorial Day Idea

In Washington there is a motorcycle event each Memorial Day that draws thousands...Over 10,000 this year according to television reporting. It began during the Viet-Nam era and over the years has become a primary if not THE primary motorcycle event of its' kind in the nation. It is called ROLLING THUNDER. Originally it was composed of veterans but with the passage of time attracted all facets of the motorcycle community to include outfits called outlaw bikers...and other not so respectful motorcycle folks. Yesterday I was amazed...the Maryland Highway Patrol led a very disciplined (for lack of a proper term) parade of motorcycles, two abreast down MD 228 and MD 201. It took 42 minutes to pass. Later at the Sunoco station when I was filling up, I met a wonderful couple..She was 70...he was 72...they were childhood sweethearts...He was a tincan gunners mate in the 50's. He said that he wished the non-veteran elements would be more respectful...and I thought of something. Remember the Flying Tigers? They wore something called a "blood chit" on the back of thier flight jackets. (Jump in if I screw this up...feel free, because I'm a little hazy on this and may louse it up.) The blood chit was intended to be a visable monetary inducement to get the Chinese people to turn in downed pilots to the Chinese Nationalists, who in turn would get them back safely to the American forces. It had a large representation of the Chinese Nationalist flag and a message in Chinese characters reading something along the lines of...IF YOU GET THIS AMERICAN AIRMAN BACK TO THE CHINESE NATIONALIST FORCES YOU WILL BE PAID $500...Chinese? Beaucoup yen, wingdings or whatever in the hell the going rate for shotdown U.S. pilots was at the time. Now here's my idea....some enterprising entrepenure should invent a jacket where a veteran could mail in a xerox copy of his, her or "Don't Ask Don't Tell" tweener, DD-214....It could be photo reproduced and sewn on the back of the jacket...under, an embroidered statement...I HONORED VETERANS IN THE FINEST WAY...I BECAME ONE....Hey, There are folks out there who probably think it's a bad idea...but to me it beats all the F--K JANE FONDA jackets and the KILL EM ALL, LET GOD SORT EM OUT...jackets...and the YEA THOUGH I WALK THROUGH THE VALLEY OF THE SHADOW OF DEATH, I WILL FEAR NO EVIL...BECAUSE I'M THE MEANEST SONUVABITCH IN THE VALLEY jackets I saw yesterday....Your DD-214 would tell the world exactly what you were and you can't pick em up at Willies War Surplus, next to to the imitation grizzly bear jerky. Just another of my goofball ideas. Oh yes, wives, daughters, sisters could wear their loved ones reproduced DD-214....Sons and brothers would have to to get their own... DEX
Bear
Posted 2008-05-26 12:48 PM (#16165 - in reply to #16162)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Memorial Day Idea

Dex Your concept is great however the major problem is to much of the info associated with a DD-214 is prime ID theft stuff that is why most groups accept or require the form as proof of service/citizenship etc. There arel ots of shops like mine theat would/are proud to make or embroidery on jackets and vest logos and wording like your talking about (I think our SubVets vest are a prime example and we have done them now not only for Brothers of the Fin but Skimmers, USAF, even two for Army Vets, even to the point of digitizing full back I Corp and MACV logos for one special vest (then did a postings list similiar to the boat lists we put on USSVI vests, only we had tospecially create all the special little lettering characters. So I think what you want to see certainly can be done.
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-05-26 1:52 PM (#16167 - in reply to #16162)

COMSUBBBS

Bear, It wasn't well thought out as you so correctly pointed out...Maybe, when you're discharged they could hand you an I SERVED HONORABLY motorcycle jacket when you drive out the recieving station gate....Better yet...tattoo, MAN HAS DD-214 on your left eye lid. Hey, this logic comes from the mental agility created by five Caronas consumed with retired Jarhead on the back porch. Forgtive where necessary. DEX
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-05-26 2:48 PM (#16170 - in reply to #16167)

Master and Commander

Dex, great idea, but, ...

How about a copy of your Honorable Discharge? The only thing it has on it is you Name, Rank/Rate and Service number.

To all my Submariner friends, Thank you for your service to our Country, to Freedom and to Liberty. Have a great Memorial Day!

Jon Krup, Skimmer - Minesweeps
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-05-26 3:53 PM (#16177 - in reply to #16170)

Great Sage of the Sea

That's it! Of course when you get it made into that jacket you can just leave off the social security number (ssn = service number for many of us these days.) But a jacket with the Honorable Discharge certificate on the back, nice original idea Dex and nice adaption Jon.

BB
Park Dallis
Posted 2008-05-26 7:26 PM (#16183 - in reply to #16162)

Old Salt

Here's an idea.

They already invented such a device to indicate service, immediately recognizable (in its day).

Why not bring back the, "Ruptured Duck?"

GaryKC
Posted 2008-05-26 8:57 PM (#16184 - in reply to #16162)

COMSUBBBS

I tend to wear Submarine ball caps and belt buckles that show an image I'm very proud of

(Dolphins.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Dolphins.JPG (27KB - 737 downloads)
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-05-26 10:10 PM (#16188 - in reply to #16162)

Admin

I really HAVE to do that ride someday... maybe me and Doc Gardner and all other comers...???
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-05-27 2:44 AM (#16189 - in reply to #16188)

Master and Commander

Don:
How about next year? I'm taking the safe rider course in August (I should be walking by then) and hope to either have a Street Glide or Road King by next year.
John Bay
Posted 2008-05-27 2:54 AM (#16190 - in reply to #16189)
Old Salt

Keep practicing on your supermarket Chopper, Doc and you will be all set!
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-05-27 6:07 AM (#16193 - in reply to #16189)

Admin

Sounds good to me Doc!
Corny
Posted 2008-05-27 8:39 AM (#16194 - in reply to #16162)

Plankowner

Subject: Rolling Thunder West

We have a Western version of Rolling Thunder in Riverside, California. This year over 6000 riders began the annual ride from the Skip-Fordyce Harley Davidson dealership at 9:11am and rode the 12 mile route to the National Cemetery adjacent to March Air Force (now Air Reserve) Base. Rolling Thunder West has grown each year and it has become an annual event for two of my grandkids and I. I began taking my grandson when he was 3. When his little sister was 3, she began going with us. This is the 4th year for Reese and the 2nd year for Remy. They know when the event is coming and a month or two in advance they began asking, "Are you taking us to see the parade again this year Grandpa?". At the parade we talk about the motorcycles, the flags, where the riders are going and why and the meaning of the day. They proudly wave "hi" to the riders and wave the US Flags they hold as all the bikes go by.

On Saturday, we had the second meeting of our new USSVI Bonefish Base. A couple of us arrived early at the American Legion Hall in Redlands (CA) where we meet and went to Hillside Cemetery with Post Members and placed 1000 US and POW flags around the cemetery in prepartation for the Memorial Day Ceremony held on Monday.

It was a very good weekend.........

Corny

Smiley
Posted 2008-05-27 1:48 PM (#16203 - in reply to #16162)
Great Sage of the Sea

I am a plank holding, holy moley, bigtime mother, charter member of our local "Rolling Thunder MC." We do have many "associate" members who ride with us but to belong to that MC you must be a Vietnam Vet with supporting DD214. Oh yeh.. lovers of Hanoi Jane need not apply..she is and will always be our "trash puppy"...My leather vest has our "club colors" and a Green dragon embroidered over a map of RVN..with my dolphins embroidered at the waist line.. Cost big $$$$ 15 years ago. Unfortunitly it's an XL and I'm now a healthy 2X coming down from 4X....Maybe it will fit again by September......
Clubs like the "Blue Knights, The Red Knights" and others we all share rides and support each other in many functions including poker runs and military, police and fireman funerals....So of course we are legit and law abiding nice guys with a fraternalistic agenda.. But we do know how to raise Hell when the time is right,, boy do we..
Our local American Legion has "Legion Riders"...Fun and safety usually comes in numbers while riding.. Vaaaaaroooooooommm!

Edited by Smiley 2008-05-27 2:04 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software