Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Will let them go by . . . they are only heavy cruisers!” -- USS Dace Captain Claggett after viewing what appeared to be a full task force, and cruisers, with an apparent battleship following behind the cruisers
TO MEMBERS OF THE HOLLAND CLUB
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-05-26 12:44 PM (#16164)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: TO MEMBERS OF THE HOLLAND CLUB

Gentlemen, Tonight at dinner I will raise a glass to you all and to all the lads who never made the Holland Club because of lives cut short because they volunteered for the boats and the risk such service entails. When you think of the millions of folks who have served in uniform and you look at the roster of qualified Phin Brothers inducted into Holland Club membership, it doesn't take a MIT professor to make you realize what a truly special group of American dues payers Holland Club old coots are. They tell me that at SubVets conventions, they have a Holland Club breakfast...If I live until 2010, I'm gonna order scrambled eggs, toast, sausage and grits and find a seat where I can pester Chief Clear and John Wynn...and feel so damn proud I may glow in the dark. I'm proud just to be considered a friend of several current members....of John Holland's coot collection. And when I qualify I'm going to buy one of Gil Raynor's official Holland Club denture boxes and tinkle dribble mats fror my bathroom. Seriously, you men are meaningful to me...you're the Knights of the Undersea Roundtable. DEX
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-05-26 2:03 PM (#16168 - in reply to #16164)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: TO MEMBERS OF THE HOLLAND CLUB

I'm taking a dinner break...Been getting wrapped around cold Corona on the back porch with a retired Marine Colonel...We talked about the HOLLAND CLUB. He thinks it is a fantastic idea. He equates it to Valhallah where the old viking warriors sat at long tables drinking highly combustible consumables out of large drinking horns and monkeying around with large busted blondes. He mentioned that he is not aware of any other service organization with a specific designation conferred on members who got designated in their branch or service specialty, 50 years prior. When he was leaving to head home for his nightly face stuff...He turned and said, "You submarine guys are truly something special..." I think he said that because Jarheads get special points, if they can get a swabbie to buy the beer. DEX
crystal
Posted 2008-05-26 2:48 PM (#16171 - in reply to #16164)

Master and Commander

Hey you permanent E3! You'll make it to the Holland Club one year before I do, now who's "crusty" ('ya old phart!)
John Wynn
Posted 2008-05-26 2:58 PM (#16172 - in reply to #16164)
Crew

Dex.....

You Old Coot!!!

You and I will be, God 'willin, inducted in to the Holland at the same time!!

Only.....You NEED to be here in New London with me!!!

Luv ya man!!!!

John W
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-05-26 3:41 PM (#16175 - in reply to #16164)

Great Sage of the Sea

*sigh* It is unfortunate that the majority of BBS and LIB members that I respect and would love to share the moment with are such old farts! When I am eligible to join the HC (2030) you'll all be toothless, diapered, and annoying the nurse during your weekly sponge bath.
I'll be sure to save some of Crystal's photo's and Dex's writings to read to others but by then no one will understand what Diesel Boats were -- and the new anti-matter reactor sailors will be sick of hearing the whining from the old nuc-boat sailors about how rough we had it and how we didn't need a flying sub or holographic girlfriends to get the job done.

BB
Flapper
Posted 2008-05-26 5:10 PM (#16178 - in reply to #16175)

Master and Commander

BB wrote: "...When I am eligible to join the HC (2030) you'll all be toothless, diapered, and annoying the nurse during your weekly sponge bath."

I reply: Hold it just a goldarned second, sweet cheeks! I'll be eligible for HC in 2014, and in 2030 I'll be 85. I only hope I'm in as good a shape as some of Tucson Base's HC guys that are that old. They're postively amazing.

Our inagural Base Commander qualified on an S-boat  in WWII, is 85 now, works almost full-time at the golf course he lives on (when he's not actually playing golf) and is a dedicated skirt chaser and raconteur.

Hopefully, I'll be able to buy you a tall one when you become a member!
MAD DOG
Posted 2008-05-27 3:24 AM (#16191 - in reply to #16178)

Master and Commander

Flap,I too will be eligible for Holland club membership in 2014.
When they let us in we'll have to help Dex escape from "THE HOME" and
make the old fart buy us a beer.

Edited by MAD DOG 2008-05-27 3:25 AM
Tom McNulty
Posted 2008-05-27 5:43 AM (#16192 - in reply to #16164)

Master and Commander

Boy, 2014 might be a busy Holland Club induction year as that's my year as well.
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-05-27 11:19 AM (#16195 - in reply to #16178)

Great Sage of the Sea

Flapper - 2008-05-26 5:10 PM

BB wrote: "...When I am eligible to join the HC (2030) you'll all be toothless, diapered, and annoying the nurse during your weekly sponge bath."

I reply: Hold it just a goldarned second, sweet cheeks! I'll be eligible for HC in 2014, and in 2030 I'll be 85. I only hope I'm in as good a shape as some of Tucson Base's HC guys that are that old. They're postively amazing.

Our inagural Base Commander qualified on an S-boat  in WWII, is 85 now, works almost full-time at the golf course he lives on (when he's not actually playing golf) and is a dedicated skirt chaser and raconteur.

Hopefully, I'll be able to buy you a tall one when you become a member!

By 2018 I hope to be a regular member of Tucson Base. I'm still working on the wife so we can retire to the outskirts of the Old Pueblo. I'll have my base membership, Costco card, and season tickets to Wildcats Softball. Throw in some hand-made tortillas from Grande Tortilla Factory and I'll be set. Geeez, thinking about that stuff just snowballs... Now I think I'll also need some green corn tamale's from LeRuella's, Margarita's from Club 21, and a Chimichanga from Karichimaka's. A nice Rib-eye from the OK Corral, and a summers evening watching a ball game at Hi-Corbett Field.
Ok, I'll stop now...

BB
Flapper
Posted 2008-05-27 2:46 PM (#16205 - in reply to #16168)

Master and Commander

dex armstrong - 2008-05-26 3:03 PMI'm taking a dinner break...Been getting wrapped around cold Corona on the back porch with a retired Marine Colonel...We talked about the HOLLAND CLUB. He thinks it is a fantastic idea. He equates it to Valhallah where the old viking warriors sat at long tables drinking highly combustible consumables out of large drinking horns and monkeying around with large busted blondes. He mentioned that he is not aware of any other service organization with a specific designation conferred on members who got designated in their branch or service specialty, 50 years prior. When he was leaving to head home for his nightly face stuff...He turned and said, "You submarine guys are truly something special..." I think he said that because Jarheads get special points, if they can get a swabbie to buy the beer. DEX

Brother Dexter, when the Col told you that "You submarine guys are truly something special ." ... did he make those little quote gestures with the index and bird fingers of each hand? You know: kind of implying a little touched in the head?
Heh heh! I know I am pretty special! Specially onery. Specially shifty. Specially something or the other.
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-05-27 3:03 PM (#16206 - in reply to #16164)

Great Sage of the Sea

Flapper, we know... Really, we know. Put your helmet back on and get your tippy-cup away from the keyboard.

BB
Boy Throttleman
Posted 2008-05-28 5:21 AM (#16221 - in reply to #16164)

Old Salt

If I make it to 2013 I will join And I want to do it at the club on School Street surrounded by as much history and as many shipmates as possible.
Dex when you get inducted I will buy you your first adult beverage you old coot.
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-05-28 10:00 AM (#16229 - in reply to #16164)

COMSUBBBS

This thread has been like a booster shot of sunshine.......By the time I get to 2014, I will have been beetle groceries for five or six years.....John Wynn has promised to tape a photo of Meg Ryan on the inside of my columbarium box lid, so I will be enjoying the view while the insects make meals out of me. There are milestones in life...birth...elementary school summer school...winning seasons playing Class Two football in high school....getting your Dolphins....marriage....birth of your children....childrens marriage....birth of grandchildren....various military retirements of family members.....your own retirement....your brides's death...finding the pure gold inside your submariners hearts when you are at your lowest and need them the most....qualifying for Social Security....Medicare....learning that your prostate is the size of a John Deere tractor tire....AND BECOMING A CERTIFIED HOLLAND CLUB geriatric participant. I told my sister that it was called THE HOLLAND CLUB because Heinekin's pays all your expenses to and from the Netherlands for an "all you can drink" weekend at the brewery....Senor Wynn, is that true? Seriously, I'm so intensely looking forward to making it, I'm learning to speak Dutch and take regular showers...eat with a fork...wear shoes....and put the toilet seat down. Thanks for the most wonderful responses. DEX
MAD DOG
Posted 2008-05-28 12:13 PM (#16236 - in reply to #16229)

Master and Commander

Seriously, I'm so intensely looking forward to making it, I'm learning to speak Dutch and take regular showers...eat with a fork...wear shoes....and put the toilet seat down. Thanks for the most wonderful responses. DEX

Geeez Dex,I guess it's true that "drastic times call for drastic measures".
In the unlikely event that you aren't with us in 2014,me & Flap will organize a working party to recall your remains and prop 'em up alongside the jukebox.
Ain't no way you're gonna duck out of buying the first round.
(The next one is on me)
Bear
Posted 2008-05-28 1:12 PM (#16237 - in reply to #16164)

Great Sage of the Sea

damn feeling pretty young here now might just havve to chase Mommasan around the house later. I am in 2022 but I don't think even rocks live that long.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software