Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: One of the first women to submerge in a submarine is believed to have been Clara Barton, founder of the American Red Cross.
Some thoughts on Memorial Day.
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Warshot
Posted 2008-05-26 3:27 PM (#16174)
WWII Sub Vet

Subject: Some thoughts on Memorial Day.

I am not able to participate in Tolling of the Boats ceremonys or take part in any parades. At 83 my physical ability limits my participation any more.

I was active for many years in "Remembering" by Tolling of the boats or appearing in parades.

I can still put my Flag up. I did so this morning.

I now mostly sit at home and remember. I remember my dear friends that were killed in the War. I see their faces and hear their words still, and I cry. I'm crying now. I think of "Louie" Lewis and see his quick smile that calmed me down when I was cussing out Chief Deason while "Louie", Ferry and I were working non-stop to remove a hot run on Salmon. "Louie" went down on Herring. And DD Rector. Everyone knew DD, he was the guy that had his appendix removed on a submarine. We co-owned a '33 Plymouth convertable in Pearl that I lost in a poker game at SuBase PHTH. We were both going on patrol the next day. Me on Seal and DD on Tang. DD said "Hell Shoot it Smitty. We're both going out tommorrow anyhow". Bill Partin was a real sweetheart. Never Lost his temper and was always looking at the humor in something. The last time I saw Bill was at the SuBase Beer Garden in Pearl. He proudly showed me pictures of his son. Bill never got to see that son. Bill went down on Sculpin.

The pain is still there after all the years.

Also I now mourn for all the SubVets buddies I have made over the years. Now most of them are gone too.

One in particular was Jim Koster. Jim and I went to Torpedo School and Submarine School together in 1942 in San Diego. Along with seven others we were sent to Mare Island on Christmas Day 1942. All nine of us were assigned to different boats , I went to Seal, Jim went to Saury.

After the War we both returned to Houston and remained friends until Jim died in , oh Hell I cant remember, but it was about 8 or 10 years ago. Jim was a loyal SubVet and he laid claim to the job of ringing the bell at the Tolling of the Boats ceremony every Memorial day until his death. He loved that simple task and I think we all know why.

Jim was a proud American and a proud Submariner. He was my friend and shipmate for about 68 years.

I miss them all and I salute them.

Warshot
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-05-26 3:48 PM (#16176 - in reply to #16174)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Some thoughts on Memorial Day.

Thank you for sharing your memories of them, now we can remember them as well. That is truly what this day is for.

BB
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-05-26 10:04 PM (#16187 - in reply to #16174)

Admin

Thank you Ron... my Memorial Day didn't feel quite right for some reason... not sure why.  Here it is about 2200 local, and I read your post.  It all came together thanks to you.  Take today to mourn your old shipmates and to pay tribute to them as they richly deserve... but tomorrow... once again go on living in their honor... it's what they would want - I'd bet my last dollar on it.

God bless all that served.... and those that are doing so now!

Bob Melley
Posted 2008-05-27 11:46 AM (#16198 - in reply to #16174)
Old Salt

Just read about current USN LT (sub guy) who was killed by an IED.......I guess the moral of this story is......
Don't forget about the new generation of guys serving on the new boats.....
Smiley
Posted 2008-05-27 1:29 PM (#16202 - in reply to #16198)
Great Sage of the Sea

Bob Melley - 2008-05-27 2:46 PM

Just read about current USN LT (sub guy) who was killed by an IED.......I guess the moral of this story is......
Don't forget about the new generation of guys serving on the new boats.....

I agree. Being raised by a 2 War Combat vet I too have fond memories of my Dad and his comrades and the many wonderful Memorial day Parades and picnics that followed. I had and still do have a holy reverence for our WW2 and Korean War Heros.
Then of course it was our turn.. I lost 7 friends while in Vietnam and my old High School lost more of her Grads in Vietnam than it did in WW1, WW2 and Korea combined. That War touched our community very hard and Memorial days around here took on another meaning back in the early 70s.
Now I have had the Wonderful Honor of knowing 8 very brave Sailors who have been lost during this War on Terror. Some of whom I knew very well and I have attended most of their funerals...meeting their families and relearning what pride and Honor is in a community where sacrifice is common and honor is a religion unlike the negatives the press feeds us daily with the likes of Gold Star Mom Cindy Sheean et al..
When you have meet six Gold Star wives all of whom are young enough to be your Grandchild as well as a few Gold Star Moms young enough to be your child It gets you wondering. It will also make you forget the bad apples out there..
At times I think that it all is so sad.. My Dad's generation, our generation and now our children's generations all feeding the beasts of War..
I think forgetting these sacrifices being made today by our new Heros in a war against evil and terror is too easy to do in light of the many political detractors with their own axe to grind ignoring the truth. Like Vietnam I fear these warriors will also suffer the same consenquences of such negative behavior and ignorance of the facts. But then again this War is touching very few families many less than prior wars and it is easy to overlook if otherwise preoccupied with gas prices etc..
I marched with my VFW yesterday.. It was a beautiful day.. While at the Cemetary I gave thanks to my Dad and my Uncle Ziggy and all those others for their service as well as the many who did not return from all Wars. I teared up like I always do, on-cue with the Waterbury Police Bagpipe Band when they piped "Amazing Grace".. Then I smiled.. a little smile for I have the good fortune of knowing so many fine people who put their Country before their own lives and have had my life enriched by having known them.
And I am truley blessed to have know so many brave men who gave their fullest in our interest..
As a starter to this beautiful day....the following happened.
Upon my awaking and departing my house for the Memorial day activities yesterday morning I discovered that my wife's car had been "egged" for the 6th or 7th time since last July...I did not let the cowards who did this ruin our day.. I had bought a plastic license plate cover a while ago and cleanup is a little easier. I will not remove the "SEAL-MA" license plate from her car. And God help them if I ever catch them.
So yes there Bob are those who couldn't give a flying #$@%% about the sacrifices being made today..I am sure we are not alone in such behavior.

Life is good.. Thank You Warshot we will always remember. Here's to you and your comrades

Edited by Smiley 2008-05-27 1:40 PM
Corabelle
Posted 2008-05-28 2:02 PM (#16242 - in reply to #16174)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: To Warshot & Dakota Slim:

Thank you.

Cora
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2008-05-28 5:00 PM (#16246 - in reply to #16174)
Master and Commander

These are beautiful thoughts - thanks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software