Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I saw the submariners, the way they stood aloof and silent, watching their pigboat with loving eyes. They are alone in the Navy. I admired the PT boys. And I often wondered how the aviators had the courage to go out day after day and I forgave their boasting. But the submariners! In the entire fleet they stand apart!” -- James Michener
USS Drum visit 5/25/2008
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

snakeyez
Posted 2008-05-27 11:32 AM (#16196)

Senior Crew

Subject: USS Drum visit 5/25/2008

My wife and I met up with Mark Allen and his wife and Tom Bowser this past Sunday in Mobile, AL at Battleship Memorial Park. Mark and his wife volunteer with the USS Batfish in Muskogee, OK and he helps me moderate the SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG forum. They were passing by on their way to FL so we all decided to meet up.

Tom gave us all an excellent tour of the Drum and even showed us around the battleship/target Alabama.

Lance, Tom, and Mark. Mark and I are wearing our new USS Batfish t-shirts. LOL

Here I am in the trainer's seat on the 5" gun, just like my grandfather in WWII. Tom and Lesley have done an excellent job on getting the twin 20 mm, 40 mm, and 5" guns functioning well.

There are many, many more pictures of the interior and exterior of the Drum to be seen. Here's a link to all the pictures of our day.
LINK

If you have the ability, you should visit the Drum, she's a real piece of history. Tom and Lesley would love any help you could provide I'm sure.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-05-27 5:20 PM (#16210 - in reply to #16196)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: USS Drum visit 5/25/2008

Thanks for the pictures, Lance.
I just noticed on your home location being Chunky, MS. Sure would have been nice to know that a few years ago. My trucking took me through Chunky so many times. Can't count the number of times I ate breakfast or dinner at the Citgo Truck Stop.
snakeyez
Posted 2008-05-27 5:59 PM (#16211 - in reply to #16196)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: USS Drum visit 5/25/2008

Yep! Living within 1/2 mile from I-20 is nice sometimes.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software