Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I can assure you that they went down fighting and that their brothers who survived them took a grim toll of our savage enemy to avenge their deaths." Admiral Charles Lockwood
Early Photos Memorial Day at PAMPANITO
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

SOB490
Posted 2008-05-27 4:28 PM (#16207)

Old Salt

Subject: Early Photos Memorial Day at PAMPANITO

First Photo - three WWII subvets who conducted the ceremonies - L-R: Ed Blanchard, Bill Fong, and Bud Burchell; Ed served as chaplain and Bud and Bill conducted the Tolling the Boats Ceremony according to SVWWII ritual.

Second photo - Bill Fong; Bud Burchell; Ed Blanchard; PAMPANITO Ships Manager Aaron Washington; Standing at podium - CAPT Shep Jenks USN (Ret), Keynote Speaker; grey suit - Trustee Neil Chaitin; blue suit - Trustee Tom Thompson, emcee; Sea Cadets from USS ARKANSAS Division led by CAPT Tim Cogan, USNR who was also one of three buglers for the Echo Taps ceremony.

If you haven't heard Taps rendered this way, make it a point to do so - it is incredible! 24 hours later my spine is still tingling.

We had a special guest - Shari Judkins, daughter of LT Edmond Kneisel, USN, lost in USS BARBEL SS-316 on 12 JAN 1945. After wives in attendance tossed in a flower for each lost boat, Shari committed the final wreath in memory of all lost boats and submariners on Eternal Patrol.

Overall, a solemn and moving ceremony - definitely a three handkerchief event.

More to come in a few days. One count we had was over 225 attendees, beautiful, clear and sunny day for a ceremony at 1700.

Edited by SOB490 2008-05-27 6:07 PM

(SVWWII.COMP.JPG)

(Shep Jenks.Compress.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments SVWWII.COMP.JPG (35KB - 710 downloads)
Attachments Shep Jenks.Compress.jpg (34KB - 727 downloads)
Chew
Posted 2008-05-27 5:18 PM (#16209 - in reply to #16207)

Mess cooking

Subject: RE: Early Photos Memorial Day at PAMPANITO

Glad I made it down for the ceremony yesterday. Got a pic of your ugly mug to put up if I can figure out how.

bob

(P5260007a.jpg)

(P5260001a.jpg)

(P5260011a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P5260007a.jpg (23KB - 673 downloads)
Attachments P5260001a.jpg (23KB - 695 downloads)
Attachments P5260011a.jpg (26KB - 682 downloads)
snakeyez
Posted 2008-05-27 6:01 PM (#16212 - in reply to #16207)

Senior Crew

Very nice pictures guys. Thanks for sharing!
SOB490
Posted 2008-05-27 6:02 PM (#16213 - in reply to #16209)

Old Salt

Bob - really glad you made it down too! That last photo you posted looks like I'm about ready to swat my dad, Bill Fong -- he and I have Wednesday docent duty together and he is absolutely delightful. The visitors really enjoy him.

One day he was really engaged with some visitors over WWII radar (his rate) and he referred to me as "my son, Bill..."

They looked at Bill, then at me, then back to Bill, then again at me --- he is short. I'm not. He is Chinese. I'm not. We both kept straight faces and the visitors were clearly perplexed.

Sober as a judge, I responded "Folks, what do you think of that? Once or twice a month I go over to the old folks' home and bring dad out for some fresh air but all he wants to do is come down here and tell lies to our visitors."

We left it that way and went about our docent bit. About 10 minutes later one of the deckhands came down to Control where we were ensconced and said "What in the hell did you two just tell those visitors, anyway?"

"Why? we asked."

"Because they are up there on the pier shaking their heads, asking us if you two really are father-and-son." We told them "no" but they won't believe us."

Well, from then on, that same exchange happens every so often and we don't say anything to correct the situation - we just let the visitors go on thinking that submariners are indeed a strange lot.
Jim M.
Posted 2008-05-28 6:00 AM (#16223 - in reply to #16207)

Great Sage of the Sea

SOB... was that LANE VICTORY behind the PAMPANITO???
Chew
Posted 2008-05-28 6:29 AM (#16224 - in reply to #16207)

Mess cooking

SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN
One of the two "Liberty Ships" left. On special occation she does cruises in the San Francisco Bay.

http://hnsa.org/ships/jobrien.htm

bob
Jim M.
Posted 2008-05-28 8:08 AM (#16227 - in reply to #16207)

Great Sage of the Sea

Ah....that other Liberty Ship. For the longest time the O'BRIEN claimed to be the last operating Liberty Ship... but then the SS JOHN W BROWN came around... then O'BRIEN claimed to be the oldest operating Liberty Ship... wrong.. the BROWN was built in September 1942... the O'BRIEN in June of 1943....

http://www.liberty-ship.com/

(jwb.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments jwb.jpg (90KB - 679 downloads)
SOB490
Posted 2008-05-28 8:19 PM (#16255 - in reply to #16227)

Old Salt

Summer of 1995, 50 years after Normandy, JEREMIAH O'BRIEN got underway, sailed via the Panama Canal to the Normandy coast and participated in the 50th anniversary celebrations and then steamed back to San Francisco. One of the PAMPANITO volunteers is also an O'BRIEN volunteer - he just loves the mechanical innards of ships, any ships.

The ship is in pretty sound condition and often does fundraiusing events by sailing out under the Golden Gate and then returns to Pier 45 via a tour of the entire San Francisco harbor. Those folks are terrific pier-mates as well.
Jim M.
Posted 2008-05-29 10:18 AM (#16260 - in reply to #16255)

Great Sage of the Sea

SOB490 - 2008-05-28 8:19 PM

Summer of 1995, 50 years after Normandy, JEREMIAH O'BRIEN got underway, sailed via the Panama Canal to the Normandy coast and participated in the 50th anniversary celebrations .....

SOB... it was the Summer of 1994. The BROWN was supposed to go over to Normandy with the O'BRIEN, but the Coast Guard nixed it because of substantial bottom work the BROWN needed. They did meet at sea on the O'BRIEN's return trip off Boston.. I've got a photo sold by the BROWN showing the two Liberty's bow on to each other. The one difference I noticed, after going aboard the O'BRIEN in Baltimore that year was that the hatch beams on the O'BRIEN are latticed... whereas the BROWN's beams are solid I-beams (benefits of being near a steel mill - Bethlehem-Fairfield - when being built I guess). Next time you come east to Bawlmer we'll have to go aboard the BROWN...

Edited by Jim M. 2008-05-29 10:20 AM
John396
Posted 2008-05-29 11:47 AM (#16263 - in reply to #16207)
Old Salt

About 5 years ago I took the inougeral cruise from San Francisco to Sacramento aboard the O'Brien. Took 9 hours, it was great! John396
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software