Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The late Capt. Don Ulmer, USN SS (Ret.), and noted submarine author, began his military career by enlisting in the U.S. Navy in 1947 and in 1949 while serving as an electrical technician E-4 aboard the submarine USS Clamagore, he was transferred to the Naval Academy. When he asked his commanding officer why he was being sent to Annapolis, the skipper replied, "I don't think you're smart enough to make E-5 and I need the bunk space." Ulmer graduated in 1954 and in 1967 returned to command Clamagore, possibly the only officer to command a U.S. warship having served on it as an enlisted man.
USS Kitty Hawk CVA 63
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2008-05-28 9:33 AM (#16228)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: USS Kitty Hawk CVA 63

Leaves Japan for Bremerton, Washington for de-com. She is, I think the last of the CVA's. She is being replaced by the USS G.Washington CVN73.  
Flapper
Posted 2008-05-28 10:48 AM (#16233 - in reply to #16228)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: USS Kitty Hawk CVA 63

She was my 'boat' (as the sailors in 'Carrier' seem to refer to their vessel) in '65 - '66 for a west Pac and 'Nam tour, in between Nuke school and SSBN-629B. Quite a lady and a real eye-opener into the big iron skimmer world.
Having no mission-mandatory responsibilities, I had time to roam her from shaft alley to the top of the island and everywhere in between and get to know a wide variety black shoe and brown shoe types and what they did.

Take one chevron off the crow of my avatar, and that could be me back then. I had a permanent crook in my index finger from the handle of my Thieve's Alley coffee mug that was held there as I 'manned the rail' watching for sea snakes in the Tonkin Gulf ... or went up to 'Vulture's Row' in the island to watch planes crash ... I mean, observe flight ops.

I was glad to get back to the boats and the tight camaraderie of their crews, though.

Edited by Flapper 2008-05-28 10:55 AM
Runner485
Posted 2008-05-28 11:24 AM (#16234 - in reply to #16233)

COMSUBBBS

Bob,

Out of boot camp I headed for CVA42. The only thing I liked about her was watching flight ops. I was mesmerized by the takeoffs and landings. I still am. And when I watched 'Carrier' that was the best part of the show. However, up front and personal was definitely the best to watch. As a messenger of the watch on the bridge, I always asked permission to stand on the outside bridge wing to watch the airdales and planes....
crystal
Posted 2008-05-28 11:38 AM (#16235 - in reply to #16228)

Master and Commander

Past crew member of two CVA's, the Forrestal CVA-59 and the Ranger CVA-61 - if you can't be on a sub they're the next best thing!
Bear
Posted 2008-05-28 1:26 PM (#16238 - in reply to #16228)

Great Sage of the Sea

It is a real shock that they are going to homeport a nuc boat in Japan I am surprised they didn't make the forward deployed ship be based in Guam or Diego Garcia ( I know neither have the infrastructure to do it) The rumbling in the aviation community was that if they ever got to where the didn't have a conventional CV to put in Japan that they would have to pull the forward deployed back to Pearl and re think the deployment cycle and what would make up a WestPac
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-05-28 1:32 PM (#16240 - in reply to #16228)

COMSUBBBS

To me...carriers are like cities like Chicago built under their local airport. I heard that one time a Western Union boy attempting to deliver a telegram to the wardroom of some humongous birdfarm, got lost....by the time he found his way back to the brow he was a LCDR. DEXS
Flapper
Posted 2008-05-28 6:18 PM (#16251 - in reply to #16228)

Master and Commander

Subject: Bremerton area cap request

Can one of you who live up there in the area snag me a Kitty Hawk ball cap when they pull in? I'll gladly reimburse for cost and postage. Respond to this thread or send me a PM if you can help.
Thanks,
Flap
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software