Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Submarines Forever, Forever a Submariner" - Mike Hemming
New Post for Old SubSailors who ride Motorcycles
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-05-29 2:14 AM (#16257)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: New Post for Old SubSailors who ride Motorcycles

Last Sunday they had one helluva big motorcycle event...rally or whatever the proper term is. It was a tribute to veterans on Memorial Day...most specifically the lost Prisoners of War (POW's) and those Missing in Action (MIA's)...I think every motorcycle in North America came...lots of Veterans....even more motorcycles. This morning I got up at 3:30AM and hopped in the shower with the radio on to get news and weather. A Sheriff's Deputy in St. Mary's County found a 76 year old ex-Gunners Mate dead drunk on a bench in a cemetary, with his Harley-Davidson leaning against a tree and a number of "empty spirits bottles" (quote) surrounding the "former serviceman". "When awakened by the officer, the sailor asked,"When does the ROLLING THUNDER motorcycle motorcade begin?" They are checking him for Doc Beeghly DNA. DEX
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-05-29 2:25 AM (#16258 - in reply to #16257)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: New Post for Old SubSailors who ride Motorcycles

Why are you up so early, and more importantly why am I up so late? It's not like we are trying to be the first in line when the night baker pulls the sticky-buns out of the oven...

BB
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-05-29 5:39 AM (#16259 - in reply to #16257)
COMSUBBBS

Dex, BB let me jump in here a second on this sleep thing. For those of us that rode DB's near the end of their existance, remember the words, "Sleep??? What is that? Something you eat??".
Sure would like to know the secret in getting back to a full nights sleep. I still don't sleep more than 4 hours except on very rare occasions.

Edited by Ralph Luther 2008-05-29 5:40 AM
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-05-29 10:39 AM (#16261 - in reply to #16257)

Great Sage of the Sea

Well I got a whole five hours this morning. Went to bed after that post and got up at 7:30 to meet with the contractor who was supposed to be here by 8. Still waiting...

BB
RCK
Posted 2008-05-29 12:40 PM (#16267 - in reply to #16257)
Master and Commander

Does flipping backward, ass over tea kettle, and landing in the middle of the street spread eagle like road kill count as riding a motorcycle???
Bear
Posted 2008-05-29 12:58 PM (#16269 - in reply to #16257)

Great Sage of the Sea

or bouncing off a curb and sliding across the lawn into a building while test "riding" an new Kawasaki
MAD DOG
Posted 2008-05-29 6:31 PM (#16276 - in reply to #16269)

Master and Commander

The railroad tracks at PSNS were not motrcycle friendly.
They crossed the roadway at weird and various angles.
Returning to the boat,from the White Pig,at zero dark thirty
could earn Top Gun flying experience when the front tire
fell in love with the tracks and the rider cleared the handlebars.
(or so I'm told)
TSpoon
Posted 2008-05-29 8:57 PM (#16285 - in reply to #16257)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Harley in the Gate Bar from Gary Walkers site........

Glad to hear from another Key West bike riding, Gate bar drinking bubblehead. I remember one or two Triumphs that used to park by the main gate. My memory has faded on a lot of that time frame. I too was an EM2(SS) on the Tirante during that time.

We had done a yard period in Portsmouth, Virginia in early 1964 and that is where I bought my bike. At the Harley shop just outside the shipyard gate. Rode around that area during our yard time and met some real characters. There was a biker bar south of Portsmouth, called El Chicos I think, that a bunch of us would frequent. A lot of the civilians who used to drink there ended up being the "Outlaws", some real animals.

I had to ship my bike back to Key West because our XO hated motorcycles and wouldn't give me leave to ride it down. He was really pissed when he found out I had it in Key West. I remember an apartment over the book store, I think some curly haired blond lived there awhile then a couple of Puerto Rican chic's from NY. If I remember correctly and believe me it is getting foggy; I spent a night or two up there with one or all of them.

My ride thru the Gate Bar was one of my more exciting memories. I don't know if you remember Miss Vicky but she was tending bar that fateful day. It was a Saturday afternoon, warm and humid, and kind of quiet. Suddenly I remembered what a first class Torpedoman had told me, "You are not a biker until you have ridden thru a bar". So I go out side, have a friend stand by the door, and tell him to open it when I come across the sidewalk. In I go down the left side of the bar. That side was occupied by mostly Tirante crewmembers (luck for me) and they had to sit on the bar and raise their stools for me to pass. I went around the back and couldn't get passed the head with my crash bars. So I backed out the back door to turn around and exited the same side I came in on. By this time the place was filling with exhaust fumes, Miss Vicky was pegging bud bottles off my head and the other drinkers were starting to get pissed. It was a crowded place and like I said a lot of them were my shipmates. I burned rubber going out the door and left a 5-foot skid mark that lasted for a long time. I went sideways across the sidewalk into the street and zipped around to the bike parking area. The gate marines later said it was a sight to see, one big red Harley come sideways out the door, rear wheel burning rubber, and a drunken bubblehead hanging on for dear life. I don't think Jack Harnish ever knew what caused that black mark.

Those of us who spent time in the old Key West are a fraternity unto ourselves.

T.Spoon USS Triante

Smiley
Posted 2008-05-30 1:25 PM (#16301 - in reply to #16276)
Great Sage of the Sea

MAD DOG - 2008-05-29 9:31 PM

The railroad tracks at PSNS were not motrcycle friendly.
They crossed the roadway at weird and various angles.
Returning to the boat,from the White Pig,at zero dark thirty
could earn Top Gun flying experience when the front tire
fell in love with the tracks and the rider cleared the handlebars.
(or so I'm told)

My best friend and shipmate dumped a shipmates 350 Honda on those tracks..I remember them well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software