Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first Japanese prisoner of war captured by the Americans was Kazuo Sakamaki, an ensign in the Imperial Japanese Navy. He was captured on the morning of December 7, 1941. Sakamaki had set an explosive charge to destroy his disabled submarine, which had been trapped on Waimanalo Beach. When the explosives failed to go off, he swam to the bottom of the submarine to investigate the cause of the failure and became unconscious due to a lack of oxygen. Sakamaki was found by a Hawaiian soldier, David Akui, and was taken into military custody. When he awoke, he found himself in a hospital under American armed guard. After the war he returned to Japan and found work with the Toyota Motor Corporation before retiring in 1987. Sakamaki died on November 29, 1999, aged 81.
Do any of you webmasters want to take on.....
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Darrin
Posted 2008-05-29 5:01 PM (#16271)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Do any of you webmasters want to take on.....

A task to help out the USS Drum???? Folks the Drum doesn't have a good website of their own for ship work updates or progress reports and if possible can one of the webmasters here come and get them going?? the link that they have up right now to update their shipmates works but IF we can draw somemore attention to her maybe we can get her somemore support and help in the task of saving her. Their current link is www.mobilebaybase.com and I would like to see her get her own site so that we can all save her.

Darrin
viejo
Posted 2008-05-29 5:48 PM (#16272 - in reply to #16271)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: Do any of you webmasters want to take on.....

Darrin, Lance has a page just for the Drum as he does for every other Museum Boat, and Lockwood Internet Base prints everything they can find about what Tom is doing and has continuous discussions going on there about the Drum. Having a website is great, but only as good as the info that comes in to it.

We also have at LIB the Save our Submarines Page that Ron keeps up and most of it, including pictures and info, is concerned with the Drum as that is the project for LIB this year. Tom is a member of our base as so is Lesley. When Tom posts something on Lance's pages or if someone else posts something over there, I pick it up and put it on LIB or at least paraphrase it there and also encourage on a regular basis that our over 225 members read Lance,s pages for the Drum and the other ones. Lance is a member of LIB also and so also posts info in both places about the Drum. We also have pictures that we have put up and I have folders of all the pictures I can find, including those Tom and Lesley have sent and of the two times that Lance has been there. I have asked Tom several times to update us on his projects.

Also the majority of the money that went into the USSVCF Memorial fund for the Drum, came from LIB and because of the amount, we were also able to have USSVCF come up with an extra $1000 for Tom to have. We have also another fund at LIB, that goes to Tom directly. The Drum Base contributed the other amounts for the matching funds, but any base or individual may make donations through USSVCF and receive tax deductions by designating it for the Drum.

I have noticed people stating they can send money to Mobile Bay for the Drum and that is fine; however, if you need a tax deduction it needs to go through USSVCF and has to have the check made out properly to qualify for one. That can be sent through LIB as our treasurer Bob Bowman knows how to put it where it can qualify. Having another web site for the Drum would only be as good as the information that came in to it.

The advantage of Lance's pages is that not only does that take care of the need, but others who are working on other boats, share info and help with Tom and he in turn can work with them to share info. You and all others are certainly welcome to go to Lance's pages at http://www.submarinemuseums.org/ or to LIB's BBS at http://www.lockwoodbase.com/bbs/category-view.asp You can read anything posted for the last couple of years on LIB's BBS and if you would like to post, drop me an email and I'll set you up with being able to do so. Thanks for wanting to help. I hope many many more want to help also.

Tom has posted some lists in the past of what he and Lesley are working on. I'll try and get an updated one and get it posted.
Bill Lee LIB BC

Edited by viejo 2008-05-29 5:50 PM
Darrin
Posted 2008-05-29 6:01 PM (#16274 - in reply to #16271)

Great Sage of the Sea

Thanks for the info on those sites, reason I posted that is because the link that I found through google and through the mobilebase site that it didn't give a hole lot of information on what is going on with her. With that being said I asked Don to post a link to her on his links part of his bbs because I for one am unable to get to this and Ron's bbs from work (military computer) and I do like to check out the progress of the museum boats and the crews that are working against all odds to restore them. The only submarine bbs that I can get to from work is Torsk's because I have donated enough hours on her that our people didn't block it out of respect to me.
Thanks for the information because those are going in my favorites here at home in a second.

Darrin
snakeyez
Posted 2008-05-29 6:27 PM (#16275 - in reply to #16271)

Senior Crew

Before I started up SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG, I was actually going to create a website that focused solely on the Drum. But then I had the revelation of making a website that promoted all of the museum boats. Tom thought it was a great idea so I started it up. It's still growing and we need all the support and promoting we can get.

I apologize for the mess right now, the hosting company that I use has had some trouble the last few days with the server I'm on. If the website is offline or slow, have patience, it will return or I won't sleep.

*IF* Tom ever wants a site just for the USS Drum and the restoration/maintenance, I'll be very honored to make one. For right now, we are just using the USS Drum board on the SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG forum:

http://www.submarinemuseums.org/forum/index.php?board=2.0

Glad to see you joined up Darrin,

Lance
http://www.submarinemuseums.org
viejo
Posted 2008-05-29 6:31 PM (#16277 - in reply to #16274)

Senior Crew

I am very impressed with what Lance Dan has done in a short time. He has lots of energy and enthusiasm ( he's still a young guy, LOL) and is really motivated to help out with the museum boats. He works also with the Batfish guys a lot, but wants all museum boats to use his pages. He was having a glitch during the last couple of days, but is online now again. I very strongly feel that preserving our history and remembering those who have served before us is the most important thing we can do for the creed of USSVI and whether you are a member or not remembering any of our service people is important. The hardest thing we have with Tom Bowser is to get him to quit working long enough to send us some pictures and info. Lance and I have been emailing and trying to get responses from other boats so that we can compile and put up info on their boats also. SOB just sent me a bunch of pictures of the Pampanito and Paul Farace was very nice to send me a CD of Cod pictures. Gil Bohannon of the Torsk is a LIB member and Gil Raynor of LIB works with the Cavalla closely. I also have been in contact with people on the Albacore and the Silversides, but there are some that I haven't been able to reach any on. The Growler is having work done on it and at LIB we have a whole topic for the Regulus Boats and try to keep up with the Growler through that and through their newsletter that LIB member Bob Harmuth puts out. I'd be glad to share any pictures or info with anyone who was interested. I also would love to have contact with anyone from any of the other museum boats. Don't forget also, that on the Sub Memorials map of USSVI, anyone can go there and click on a state and bring up the museum boats. I have tried to get the markers on the enclosed maps down to where it shows exactly where each boat is. Use the Satellite image to see it.
Thanks for what you are trying to do.
Viejo
Darrin
Posted 2008-05-29 6:46 PM (#16278 - in reply to #16271)

Great Sage of the Sea

the funny or sad part of this is if you go to the USS Slater website www.ussslater.org you will see that they only post their newsletter once a month and they do post pics to keep those enthusiasts involved and keep them coming back and sending money to their boat. Gil Bohanon has done a hell of a job along with Al Freund to keep the Torsk web page up and running and up to date, both are friends and shipmates of mine and they are the other reason why I asked IF any webmaster would want to take on a page just for the Drum so that Tom could do a Slater style if he wanted to instead of posting on two different sites.
just my .02 worth
snakeyez
Posted 2008-05-29 9:23 PM (#16286 - in reply to #16271)

Senior Crew

I tell you, the Torsk and the Cavalla have one heck of a following. Gil Bohannon stops in on our forum and fills us in on things going on with the Torsk. For a while we had John McMichael of the Cavalla stopping in, but I haven't seen him in a while.

We LOVE to have anyone interested in submarine museum boats to stop by and make a post. Give me any feedback you want, I can take it.

I'm an Associate USSVI Lockwood Internet Base member and I hope to honor all USSVI and USSVWWII members with the fruits of the website. I'm working on joining the HNSA with the website as an Associate member as well right now.

Today SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG survived a long denial of service (DoS) attack, and I hope it's over. If you visited the website and it was down or very slow, please come on back by.

Lance Dean
SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG
http://www.submarinemuseums.org
viejo
Posted 2008-05-30 12:20 AM (#16292 - in reply to #16278)

Senior Crew

Darrin, working with both web pages and with BBSs for USSVI, one of the disadvantages of a strictly web page type setup is that the spontaneity of exchanging information gets lost when something is posted once a month and the reply might take another month or so. I think the exchange that goes on in a BBS like this or like the forum on LIB or submarinemuseums.org actually produces more ideas and updates than what might get posted through a monthly newsletter. The ability to put up lots of pictures is great and that is where a page like Save our Submarines comes in, so to me as long as things don't get too spread out, I think having a two or three pages going on works well. I just posted a reminder on LIB's BBS for people to look here and at Ron's and Lance's pages to keep up with what is happening with the Drum and the other museum boats. I am sure that others in the base will respond and questions will be asked and more things learned. As long as some can rove the different sites and pass along what is happening, it helps get the info to some who wouldn't see it otherwise. I know of a lot of people who only look at one place and others who only look somewhere else, so exchanging the info and putting it on the other sites enlarges the potential for those who might help out in some way. I need to write to Gil and get him to update us more frequently on LIB's BBS about the Torsk. We have several people who are active and interested in that boat.
Thanks,
Viejo

Edited by viejo 2008-05-30 12:22 AM
Darrin
Posted 2008-05-30 5:20 AM (#16295 - in reply to #16271)

Great Sage of the Sea

If you go to www.usstorsk.org you can catch up with all the action every day that happens during the weekend and yes even during the middle of the week. Now for the interesting part about Torsk and her "following" yes I am one who spends time on her when I can and I check their bbs every day, but some of you may either don't know or have forgotten the work weekend on her was started here on this bbs and Ron's and Olgoats bbs along with Don Merrigans' bbs. A couple of the folks here on the bbs asked for help and the idea was born to try to get folks in from around the country to come in and work for the weekend. The first year the turn out was pretty good and they did two a year until the logistics became too much and now they have people requesting a spot right after the work weekend is over for the following year, I think this year there is room for 60 or so folks..
Personally I got involved in working on her because I was trash talking Diesel's because I am a 688 sailor and Larry "TorskDoc" Derouin was the instigator and he finally told me to "put up or shut up" that was early spring '04 and I made the fall work weekend and haven't left yet and it gave me a hell of a lot of pride to see her change over that first weekend and I still get it every time that I can get up there to work on her.
Some of those locals from the first couple of work weekends were impressed with what was going on so they stayed and now they work every weekend on saturday for a couple of hours making her look better every week. Yes they asked all of the surrounding USSVI's for help and got little so when they asked on the internet people started to come and help them and people check their bbs everyday to see what else is going on and to see if they can help find equipment, tools and other odds and ends because Torsk like Drum is/was the redheaded stepchild of BMM (or was at least for many years).

Darrin
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software