Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The Grampus and Pike were commissioned in ceremonies at Mare Island the same day, Thursday, the 28th of May 1903. A young naval officer, Lieutenant Arthur MacArthur III, older brother of General Douglas MacArthur, assumed command for both vessels at the same time.
Oz's Hardest Prison - National Geographic...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-06-11 8:07 PM (#16660)

Master and Commander

Subject: Oz's Hardest Prison - National Geographic...

'Over the past decade Australia's prison population has doubled. But of all the States, it's Western Australia that has the highest number of prisoners per population. Incarceration rates here are 40 percent higher than the national average.

So what is it about the 'Big Empty' that causes blokes to end up behind bars? Is it more lawless out West? Are the coppers better at catching crooks? Does the convict past have a stronger influence in Australia's largest State?

One thing is for sure. Serving time in a WA prison is not for the faint hearted. With prison capacity at an all time high, the cell blocks are overflowing. Casuarina, Western Australia's Maximum Security Prison, is designed for 360 inmates. It currently houses 525. For the first time ever, our cameras go inside Casuarina Prison to witness life behind bars in an Australian Super Max'

This show was filmed last year....it is showing on National Geographic on the 3rd of July here in Australia....something for you guys ( that are interested ) to look for as I may have some 'air time'...I know I was filmed at some stage but that may have been thrown on the cutting floor ( whatever it's called ) So if you see a documentary talking about Casuarina Prison in Western Australia, that's 'my' prison.

Currently we have 600 prisoners - as stated above, it's supposedly a 360 prisoner capacity prison. The title 'Australia's Hardest Prison' is laughable as far as I am concerned.

Blue...one of the hardest prison officers
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2008-06-12 2:01 AM (#16662 - in reply to #16660)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Oz's Hardest Prison - National Geographic...

Just what part of you is hard? You knew better than to post that statement around Submariners. Or are you getting old and sometimes forgetful like the rest of us?
Jim M.
Posted 2008-06-12 6:05 AM (#16665 - in reply to #16660)

Great Sage of the Sea

Blue from West Oz - 2008-06-11 8:07 PM... to look for as I may have some 'air time'...I know I was filmed at some stage but that may have been thrown on the cutting floor ( whatever it's called ) So if you see a documentary talking about Casuarina Prison in Western Australia, that's 'my' prison....

Blue...one of the hardest prison officers

Uh oh..fame and fortune already going to his head.... watch out world....
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-06-12 6:34 AM (#16666 - in reply to #16660)
COMSUBBBS

Now we know why he's grown fuzz on his face. Trying to hide, Blue? Or are you trying to match a few of us finer people in your life and becoming as good as looking as POD and Me.
We'll be watching for the program.
Coyote
Posted 2008-06-12 2:33 PM (#16668 - in reply to #16660)

Master and Commander

Our National Geographic (and other program outlets, notably the Weather Channel) tend to portray their programs as something more than they really are.

Regards, Coyote
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-06-12 2:43 PM (#16669 - in reply to #16668)

Master and Commander

Subject: They have to get....

....'bums on seats' as such so that is understandable.

What seems easy and mundane to us is obviously exciting and dangerous to others....there are of course, some very dangerous people in my prison, it is after all, a Maximum Security Prison.

But I am sure we had it harder when I was a young 16 year old Junior Recruit at HMAS LEEUWIN. ( and have told them that as well....one clown told me I wouldn't last a week in there when I said it wasn't hard enough in prison )

Blue *_*

Ralph, I have met 4 ex prisoners on the outside, no troubles with any of them in fact the opposite. But one still has to be careful. I decided I would grow a beard to look exactly like POD as there is a deranged killer about to be released who doesn't like me....he he he he...

Edited by Blue from West Oz 2008-06-12 2:46 PM
Coyote
Posted 2008-06-12 9:41 PM (#16671 - in reply to #16660)

Master and Commander

I *must* meet POD the next trip down there. Assuming he's not been killed, of course. :-)

Regards, Coyote
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-06-13 8:24 AM (#16679 - in reply to #16660)
COMSUBBBS

Owen, POD is one good Mate. He and Ian have a very tough job keeping Blue out of trouble and walking that fine line. You'll enjoy meeting him and his wife Alison. They will take you out to dinner and if you notice they will sit with you between Blue and them for reasons we all know. For those that don't know, live and learn. Ain't that right, John Bay.
John Bay
Posted 2008-06-13 3:16 PM (#16697 - in reply to #16679)
Old Salt

Subject: RE: Blue and meals...

Very right, Ralph! Just look at poor Daniel in this photo. Blue just took his pizza away! In Blues defense, he DID offer Daniel the lobster shells and juice.

(L1000478 (Medium).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments L1000478 (Medium).JPG (63KB - 679 downloads)
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-06-13 4:47 PM (#16699 - in reply to #16697)

Master and Commander

I allowed Daniel to eat the cardboard box didn't I?

It's Daniel's 13th birthday on Tuesday....I am taking him out to see the latest Indiana Jones movie and then I shall cook him a Chicken Thai Red Curry meal...well, I will let him have the left-overs!

Blue *_*
John Bay
Posted 2008-06-13 7:07 PM (#16700 - in reply to #16699)
Old Salt

Wish him a Happy Birthday from Heather and I!
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-06-13 8:34 PM (#16701 - in reply to #16660)
COMSUBBBS

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DANIEL!!!!!! YEEEHAAA a teenager at last. Enjoy it Mate! You only go around one time.
Jim M.
Posted 2008-06-14 8:26 AM (#16706 - in reply to #16701)

Great Sage of the Sea

Ralph Luther - 2008-06-13 8:34 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DANIEL!!!!!! YEEEHAAA a teenager at last. Enjoy it Mate! You only go around one time.

Uh oh.. Daniel a 14 year old.. Um..Blue old son, be prepared for ANYTHING!!!! If Daniel is like my boy Hylton (currently winging his way, along with the Dutchess of Durban, to Durban, South Africa), then the girls, cell phones, Xbox, etc. will rule his life...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DANIEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software