Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Dollar for dollar and man for man, the submarine is the country's most economical weapon. Comprising only 1.6 percent of the Navy's World War II personnel, the submarine service accounted for 55 percent of all enemy shipping destroyed.
CNN Tim Russert Dies
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-06-13 1:39 PM (#16689)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: CNN Tim Russert Dies

Newsman Tim Russert dies at 58
Published: 6/13/08, 4:00 PM EDT

(CNN) - Tim Russert, who became one of America's leading political journalists as the host of NBC's "Meet the Press," died Friday, according to the network. He was 58.
The network said Russert suffered a heart attack while at work and could not be revived. He had just returned from a family vacation in Italy to celebrate the graduation of his son, Luke, from Boston College.

Russert joined the network in 1984 and quickly established himself as the face of the network's political coverage.

In 1985 he supervised live broadcasts of the "Today" show from Rome, negotiating an appearance by Pope John Paul II -- a first for American television.

Man, What a shock this is!
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-06-13 2:33 PM (#16694 - in reply to #16689)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: CNN Tim Russert Dies

Ralp-h,....WHAT A SHOCK...I am right smack in the middle of a book he wrote about his relationship with his Dad. The world of American journalism has suffered an indescribable loss. I for one, will miss him greatly. DEX
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-06-13 2:52 PM (#16695 - in reply to #16689)
COMSUBBBS

I grew up outside of Buffalo, NY. Two of my high school buddies were Russert's. Tim Russert was just a "little kid" back then. The Russert's are a very fine family. I'm certain he will be missed by millions.
nancy
Posted 2008-06-15 7:44 PM (#16743 - in reply to #16695)

Old Salt

As a former print journalist, it's been with dismay that I've watched TV news shows dumb down, play "gotcha" journalism, do shock and awe, have news hosts who're no more than "talking heads." As a former PR counselor, remember telling clients to NOT do a 60-Minute interview as, no matter what they said during a 2-hour interview, most of their points would wind up on the editing room floor.

Tim Russert, despite his party leaning, gave viewers unbiased, indepth interviews and reporting. Yes, with his eyes, eyebrows, smile and words, he could drill into responses by those he interviewed, be like a dog with a bone, not allowing interviewees to simply stick with their pre-planned three key messages or "playing the three aces."

Yet, he did this with grace as one of most consumate TV reporters of our generation

I never miss "Meet the Press" on Sunday mornings. It will be interesting to see who can fill those magnificent Russert shoes.

Jim M.
Posted 2008-06-16 8:13 AM (#16746 - in reply to #16689)

Great Sage of the Sea

During the few times I tuned into network TV, I'd tune into his show. Still, the coverage of his death, while untimely and unfortunate, is a bit overblown. Newsreaders, etc. get more coverage than those who die in service of our country do.. more coverage than the floods in Iowa, etc.

I liked Mr. Russert..especially when he played himself on an episode of Homicide: Life in the Streets many moons ago.
nancy
Posted 2008-06-16 10:29 AM (#16749 - in reply to #16746)

Old Salt

Sorry I missed that TV show many moons ago.

Russert can't be included among "news readers," "talking heads." As for overblown coverage of his death --- his "second family" was the TV media, especially NBC, thus the tributes accorded to him.

Wonder if there's a chance Tom Brokow will at least fill in on "Meet the Press" until a permanent anchor is named?

What really bothers me is that newspapers, in order to stay in business, consider obits as classified advertising for income purposes. Used to be that a death of a local resident was considered news. Ahhh, but times change.

Jim M.
Posted 2008-06-16 12:16 PM (#16750 - in reply to #16749)

Great Sage of the Sea

nancy - 2008-06-16 10:29 AM

Sorry I missed that TV show many moons ago. ...

I think it was Season 4 of Homicide.. Isabella Hoffman played Tim's cousin Megan, commander of Homicide... they were talking to each other in the squadroom.

Loved the show, as I used to see the actors in Fell's Point area of Baltimore all the time when the show was in production. I sometimes grab a bite to eat at the Waterfront...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software