Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Of all the branches of men in the forces there is none which shows more devotion and faces grimmer perils than the submariners." Sir Winston Churchill
Revolutionary Warship Found
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2008-06-14 10:25 AM (#16710)
Master and Commander

Subject: Revolutionary Warship Found

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/sunken-wreck-of-famed-warship-found/20080613182509990001
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-06-14 10:31 AM (#16711 - in reply to #16710)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Revolutionary Warship Found

I read this in our morning fish wrap too. I wonder if Warshot or some of his Crew might tell us about it and how bad that storm was.
Ric
Posted 2008-06-14 11:43 AM (#16712 - in reply to #16710)

Plankowner

Thanks.
There have been several ships located in the Great Lakes over the year in excellent condition. One was raised and slowly began to deteriorate until it was a total loss. I'm glad over the decision to leave this alone as a war grave.

I notice the media, who knows nothing of nautical nomenclature, still insist on calling the "TOPS", where the sections of the masts join, "crows nests". On a warship of this vintage they were of a larger size and decked and were called "Fighting Tops": since this is where the Marines were stationed as sharp shooters, hence the railing seen at the back edge of the top. This was so the Marines who had other concerns during battle wouldn't fall off. On commercial ships there was no railing since sailors didn't spend much time at those locations. In fact there wasn't much of a platform at those locations at all just the bracing for the next section of ratlines to attach to.

Wonderful photos. Looking forward to seeing more.

Ric
Stoops
Posted 2008-06-14 6:12 PM (#16715 - in reply to #16712)
Master and Commander

Ric - 2008-06-14 11:43 AM

I notice the media, who knows nothing of nautical nomenclature, still insist on calling the "TOPS", where the sections of the masts join, "crows nests".
Wonderful photos. Looking forward to seeing more.

Ric

Total ignorance of a subject has never prevented the media from posting falsehoods, mistakes, or lies on that which they know nothing about and are too lazy to learn.

Edited by Stoops 2008-06-14 6:18 PM
Jim M.
Posted 2008-06-14 6:28 PM (#16716 - in reply to #16710)

Great Sage of the Sea

Another link to an article about HMS Ontario -

http://www.shipwreckworld.com/story/shipwreck-explorers-discover-1780-british-warship-in-lake-ontario.aspx
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software