Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In their history, submarines were called by many names such as 'eel boats', 'plunging boats', 'devil divers', and 'pig boats'. Technically, and by size, the submarine is a ship, but it has been called a boat since its earliest days, and the term is steeped in tradition. Submariners almost invariably call their ships 'boats".
USSVI and selfless service...We're lucky bluejackets
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-06-15 5:04 PM (#16736)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: USSVI and selfless service...We're lucky bluejackets

The easiest thing in the world is to park your butt on a tree limb and whine about things. I had a COB who used to say that "A damn sailor could complain with a titty in his mouth." Anyone who knows Tom Conlon, John "Gumba" Carrciopolo (forgive me Gumba if I loused the spelling of your name up), Pat Householder. John Wynn, Ron Martini, Gil Raynor, Don Gentry, John Clear...Jim Christley, Ray Stone...the late Gary "Cowboy" Mclaughlin...Bob and Sid Harrison....Ron "Warshot" Smith, has to appreciate the time selflessly and generously given to perpetuate the lives given to the everlasting honor of Americas undersea service. For the life of me, I can't understand anyone finding fault with the wheel house personnel of SubVets...Any outfit has periodic mistakes...has to make downline course corrections...has to sort out the validity and value of expressed contrary opinions...Hell, we're boatsailors...life would have been duller than we could have tolerated without three day arguments that pot stirring shipmates got going in the messdeck....I remember a discussion about guys called Beatniks...damn thing went on for three days and nobody can remember how it was resolved. Here's the way I see it...if you're not sitting at an oar rowing the boat, you haven't got any skin in the game and your grousing, complaining, whining, moaning, groaning and pants peeing has the par value of a tick fart...USSVI is a wonderful organization and has been shepherded and guided to the point where it has become the fine outfit it has become by some very fine ahipmates....You find me a veteran's organization our size with a finer journal than the AMERICAN SUBMARINER...you can't. Find me a submariners exclusive watering hole like 40 School Street....Horse and Cow is privately owned and doesn't have Joe Negri's uniform, an artifact one step below the Shroud of Turin....I had a cook on REQUIN named Rodney A. "Rat" Johnson...if you complained about the chow he would grab your plate, knock the contents out into a sharpshooter bucket and tell you "to go eat down the street"...Hey, if you've got an AWOL bag load of whines with USSVI, "GO EAT DOWN THE STREET." DEX
nancy
Posted 2008-06-15 7:23 PM (#16742 - in reply to #16736)

Old Salt

Subject: RE: USSVI and selfless service...We're lucky bluejackets

Dex, others: Just to let you know I'm now a member of USS COD Base, USSVI. Least I can do. Nancy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software