Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Helm, bridge...what are you doing 60 degrees off course?" "Bridge, helm...coming back from 90 degrees, sir." -- Roger Forgit, USS Tigrone AGSS-419
What'n the hell happend to Peter Pan peanut butter?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-06-18 3:09 PM (#16803)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: What'n the hell happend to Peter Pan peanut butter?

Aboard REQUIN we had two distinct factions...Skippy eaters and Peter Pan consumers. Skippy eaters were the lower class riff-raff and the Peter Pan consumers were the sophisticated lads of far higher intelligence, greater world awareness and great appeal to the fairer sex. I miss Peter Pan....the only things left on grocery shelves around here are Skippy and that kiddie JIF garbage. Will my beloved Peter Pan ever return?...Must I live out my life, Peter Pan'less? Is there no GOD? DEX
PaulR
Posted 2008-06-18 3:18 PM (#16804 - in reply to #16803)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: What'n the hell happend to Peter Pan peanut butter?

In February 2007, Peter Pan and some Great Value (Wal-Mart's store brand) peanut butters were linked to 425 cases of salmonella across the United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials believe this is the first salmonella outbreak involving peanut butter to occur in the United States.

The recall involved both Peter Pan and some Great Value peanut butter with a product code starting with the digits "2111."[1] The recall included all ConAgra produced peanut butter sold in the United States since October 2004.[2] On April 5, 2007,the company announced it had traced the source of the salmonella to aleaky roof and sprinkler in its Georgia plant. Peter Pan productsreturned to stores in late August 2007.[3]

I prefer Jiff anyway.  I grew up on Skippy and can't handle it any longer.

MAD DOG
Posted 2008-06-18 4:22 PM (#16810 - in reply to #16803)

Master and Commander

DEX,an old CPO once told me"Peter Pan is a washbasin in a whorehouse".
Tom McNulty
Posted 2008-06-18 4:33 PM (#16811 - in reply to #16803)

Master and Commander

There ya go trying to stir up trouble. Put me down for Skippy and smooth was for the gender confused. It's chunky all the way. My sorry ass memory can't recall which we had on the three boats I sailed. I will say emphatically when mid rats meats started getting that green ring any peanut butter looked and tasted mighty appealing. That spread on the hot bread coming out of the oven was great. Due to shifting gravity in my golden years I do very little PB.
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-06-18 5:32 PM (#16812 - in reply to #16803)

Master and Commander

You had brand name peanut butter? I remember my time mess cooking and don't ever recall seeing anything but #10 cans of good old U.S. Navy peanut butter; creamy and crunchy. NEVER; any of that brand name stuff.
Jim M.
Posted 2008-06-18 5:43 PM (#16814 - in reply to #16803)

Great Sage of the Sea

Peanut butter.....yechhh...can't stand the stuff....
Flapper
Posted 2008-06-18 6:00 PM (#16815 - in reply to #16803)

Master and Commander

Better than any of those other hydrogenated heartattack generators. Gotta stir it before use each time, but that effort is more than paid off by the quality and taste. Ingredients: Peanuts and salt ... that's it!
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2008-06-19 1:53 AM (#16824 - in reply to #16803)
Master and Commander

Peter Pan rebuilt the whole plant in Sylvestrer Georgia, and has been back on the market for about eight months. The old Military 10# cans used to be made in part by Williams / Stevens / Cargil in Dawson Georgia. We just tore the old plant down and built a new office.
Box kicker
Posted 2008-06-19 3:50 AM (#16826 - in reply to #16803)

Old Salt

As a fellow Peter Pan fan, it seemed like a long damn time, but I noticed that Peter Pan is back on the shelves that the commissary.

Life is good!
Buc1369
Posted 2008-06-19 4:28 AM (#16828 - in reply to #16803)
Crew

All I remember on the good old TJ was number 10 cans with a finger slicing lid and 1 to 2 inches of oil on top. Had to train the messcooks to stir the oil back in.
MAD DOG
Posted 2008-06-19 5:26 AM (#16830 - in reply to #16828)

Master and Commander

Welcome aboard Buck.Where the hell you been?
MAD DOG
Buc1369
Posted 2008-06-19 5:57 AM (#16831 - in reply to #16830)
Crew

Mad Dog, You look the same as when I used to do wake ups on the usta fish. I'm hanging out in CT doing special missions........(IE drinking beer and telling sea stories) have yet to tap my memories of Hawaii and Guam, of course they are from so long ago I can' find them. was Hawaii a state when we were there?
Buc
docbeeghly
Posted 2008-06-19 6:32 AM (#16836 - in reply to #16803)
Senior Crew

Peter Pan is available here in our wallmart (may be made in China for all I know), about half a samwich left in this jar.
The Beagle doc

(Peter Pan peanut butter.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Peter Pan peanut butter.jpg (18KB - 653 downloads)
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-06-19 6:51 AM (#16837 - in reply to #16803)

COMSUBBBS

On the 481 our chief cook took what I would assume were some sort of discretionary funds and purchased stuiff at the NOB commissary. He bought cases of Skippy and Peter Pan...Our peanut butter brand loyalty and affiliations gave us a lot of fun, living an existence where the most exciting thing you could do was track toenail growth and the accumulation of belly button lint. Johyn Wynn got me a tour of the USS TOLEDO....They had closed circuit TV...a messdeck the size of Kansas....games, video games...everything but off Broadway stage productions and skeet shooting. Arguing about the relative merits of Skippy and Peter Pan and the feigned seriousness of brand loyalty gave uis a lot of hoots....Unlike nukes, we rarely engaged in discussions regarding classical painting, 15th century philosophers, women's fashion trends, violin playing, polo pony insemination, the rules of luge competion or coronary bypass procedures. We dumbass smokeboat inhabitants often engaged in protracted discussion of bust development comparison, sex techniques West Coast boatsailors picked up in the Phillipines, Japan, Okinawa, and other exotic locations...stuff girls weren't into in Norfolk, Charleston and Key West. We defended our preference in car manufactures....our choice of beers....we spent hours simply naming brands of beers.....Sports arguments, like "Who do you think the greatest Short Stop of all time was?." There was always some old Chief covered with liver spots and tattoos who would say something like "Big Eddy Karzaloosky...played for the Boston Pier Rats in 1922...ain't nobody who kin play Short Stop like Big Eddy." "Jeezus Chief, who'n the hell was Big Eddy?" "Ah you goddam kids...Big Eddy could snag anything and throw home at 300 miles an hour...once caught a low flying hawk and threw the sonuvabitch to first so hard all the feathers came off." And then there were great peanut butter brand debates.....discussiions about why DESENEX didn't do a damn thing to cure athletes foot......about the difficulties of getting a twenty year old girl back into a two hundred hook merry widow or a pink laytex Playtex girdle in the back seat of a 55 Chevy....the merits of varoius kinds of rum.....tips on deer hunting and field dressing game.....We talked about our inport TV heroes....Maverick, Palladin, Rocky...Bullwinkle...Borris, Natasha, Inspector Fenwick and Little Nell...Professor Peabody and Sherman....and a local Norfolk kids TV favorite J.P. Sidewinder....We bet on Queen for a Day and rooted for the gal with the worst sob story...Grown men with their butts parked on messdeck benches yelling,"Hey Maggie tell them you have terminal cancer and your tweety-bird just bought the farm and you need a leg amputation." Sensitivity was not a determining factor in 1950's submarine candidate selection. We rated war movies....wimminz swim suits....Wondered about what going to bed with the Doublemint twins would be like....Who made the best tennis shoes KEDS or P.F. Flyers....Whether girls lost their virginity using TAMPAX....Why dogs liked to fetch sticks.....Whether STP did anything beneficial to your car engine.....Why the New York Times crossword puzzle was so damn hard...The COB said that the "New York Times only used words easily understood by the snobby bastards who read the goddam thing." We passed around dogearred copies of PLAYBOY so the single guys could drool over the voluptuous creatures smiling back with their "Come Hither Sailor" looks. We described vegetables our mother's made us eat that we hated.....discussed yo-yo tricks....compared ZIPPO's.....argued about the merits of electric razor shaves vs Gillette Blue Blade shaves.....and why girls shaving their legs, armpit and "down there" regions made them so much more feminine as compared to the Mediterranean honies who had dark black goat beards hanging out the sleeve holes in their sleeveless blouses and the leg openings of thier swimming suits.....We discussed the merits of good scrap iron likker and stump whiskey....Wondered what'n the hell SCRAPPLE was made out of...possum, ground up gopher or stuff folks dug out of a veternarians dumpster. We operated at the mid range level of intellectual exploration.....You wantta talk about Alexander the Great, renaisance literature, astro-physics, music involing cellos, bassoons and french horns...you needed to put in a chit for knife and fork school and move to the wardroom....We After Battery Rat animals discussed life at the ground level of practical experience....and mostly ate Peter Pan peanut butter that was known to improve ones brain cells and keep you off nuke boats. DEX
Bob Melley
Posted 2008-06-20 10:17 AM (#16897 - in reply to #16803)
Old Salt

Dex: If you'd really been paying attention, you'd know where all the Peter Pan Peanut Butter went.......used to cover the little balls of dough that GA kids used for bait to catch catfish......the GD catfish fish have become so accustomed to eating Peter Pan on their bread, they will not touch any other brand. So there you are and that's the reason, honest to blazes.....
I'm still mad you didn't buy that damned Luhrs Tournament express 27' fishing boat I told you about.
Tincanman
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software