Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The submarine was not generally recognized as a legitimate instrument of warfare until the Civil War.
Got a question fur yas
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-06-19 10:59 AM (#16844)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: Got a question fur yas

This is a serious question so I won't lead off with, "This ain't no s**t" or "Y'all ain't gonna believe this s**t, but". A couple of weeks ago I went fishing for some of those big stripped bass with my brother up on Lake Murray just outside of Columbia, SC.
We stopped for some bait, tackle, etc. at a local bait shop and boat landing. Around the side of this place was a fish cleaning table with a roof over the area. Around the perimeter of the overhead hung some clear plastic freezer bags, quart size, full of plain ole fresh water and were stapled to the rafters. I asked what the bags were suppose to be for. "Keeps the flies away", the clerk said. "Oh yeah, sure", says I.
Now, I didn't fall off the last turnip truck thru town, and I thought there just might be something to it because there weren't no flies and the uncovered garbage can did have some fish guts in it. Bought some freezer bags along with the bait, etc. While I'm here let me tell you, Dex, that etc stuff don't catch fish. When we got to the fish camp my brother, Bob, and I filled a bunch of bags with water, sealed them and then nailed the tops of the bags around the camp. For you nukes, we nailed the bags at the top lip so they wouldn't leak. After a couple hours, no flies and we weren't bothered with flies all weekend.
Question to yas is HOW/Why?
Damned if I know! I haven't heard a reason how or why it works yet. Thought maybe some of you college educated folks might be able to whup some knowledge upon us and with Dex starting to try out his new fishing techneeks we might be able to dazzle some lesser folks.
As I said in the beginning this isn't a "no s**tter". I'm serious as a heart attack. And for those worried about it being submarine related, it might help to hang a few bags around the mess decks, manuvering room, or missle ops when your out to sea .
PaulR
Posted 2008-06-19 11:18 AM (#16846 - in reply to #16844)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Got a question fur yas

Ralph,

I know you have an aversion to "google" but check this out anyway

Anyway...if news to me!!!
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-06-19 12:38 PM (#16851 - in reply to #16844)
COMSUBBBS

It's news to me also, Paul, Thanks, Mate. All I can say is that it works from what I've seen. While we were at the fish cleaning table I forgot to mention that the wind wasn't blowing and it was a typical SC hot, humid, muggy day and oh yeah the smell was there.
Dog-gone I thought some nuke would have been first to answer. Way to go DB sailor!

Edited by Ralph Luther 2008-06-19 12:40 PM
Mac McCoy
Posted 2008-06-19 4:13 PM (#16873 - in reply to #16844)
Senior Crew

Ralph you left out a lot of pertinent information. DID YOU CATCH ANY FISH???????????
Goodness. Talks about going fishing and not a word about how they were biting or how many they caught. What are we going to do with him.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-06-19 5:28 PM (#16877 - in reply to #16844)
COMSUBBBS

Yes Mac, we did catch fish. Sorry about that! We caught a bunch and had to release most because they were to small. Kept 10 nice ones 26"-29" long and mighty tasty cooked over an open fire along with some pan fried potatoes and of course some cool Millers.
My kid brother is a retired AF B-52 pilot and is now a retired Comair Captain. The wimp wanted ketsup for his potatoes and tartar sauce for his fish. Even brought his own pillow from home to sleep in the tent with. Yep, you guessed it, even brought along his Blackberry. How do you get the kid back to the farm?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software