Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile... can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction,...' I served in the United States Navy'.” -- John F. Kennedy
Australia...Wolrd Champions!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-06-19 2:56 PM (#16863)

Master and Commander

Subject: Australia...Wolrd Champions!

AUSTRALIA'S obesity epidemic has been drastically underestimated, according to the latest comprehensive study showing 9 million adults are fatter than they should be.

The report says Australia is the world's most overweight nation, ahead of the supersized Americans. ( Hey Ralph/Steamboat, remember when we were eating at an 'all you can eat' place and bus loads of 'supersized turned up? lol that was funny )

Experts are now calling for extreme measures like gym discounting and denial of surgery based on body mass index (BMI) to rectify the situation.

"These might be controversial but they won't just be targeting a small sub-set of Australians," said Simon Stewart, head of preventive cardiology at the Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute.

"Overweight and obese people now make up the vast majority of us and these are the drastic measures now needed to bring these numbers down."

The report, released ahead of the Federal Government's obesity inquiry, presents the results of height and weight checks carried out on 14,000 adult Australians in 2005.

It gives the most thorough picture of obesity since the AusDiab study in 1999, and Professor Stewart, the author, said it shows the burden has been underplayed.

"Based on the old data and self-reported surveys, we had thought that 7 million adults were obese or overweight, but it is actually 9 million," he said.

The report, entitled Australia's Future Fat Bomb, shows the middle-aged are leading the way, with seven in 10 men and six in 10 women aged 45 to 64 now registering a BMI of 25 or more.

An analysis of the data shows there will be an extra 700,000 heart-related hospital admissions in the next 20 years due to obesity alone.

Almost 125,000 people will die as a result, many prematurely.

"I would regard this as now the biggest threat to our future health," Professor Stewart said.

"As we send our athletes off to the Olympics let's reflect on the fact that we would win the gold medal problem now in the world fat Olympics if there was such a thing.

"We used to be down mid-table, but I'm picking that we're now the gold medal favourites."

The report calls for a national weight loss strategy on the scale of smoking and skin cancer campaigns, including subsidising gym memberships and personal training sessions for heavier people.

Wait lists for surgery could be prioritised on the basis of weight loss.

"These are some of the controversial things we need to deal with because the healthcare system is going to be overwhelmed by weight-related hospitalisations from knee replacements through to heart attacks and strokes."

Professor Ian Caterson, director of the Institute of Obesity, Nutrition and Exercise at the University of Sydney, agreed such measures were needed.

"Governments have to start thinking outside the square because as we get fatter and older as a nation things are just going to get worse," he said.
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-06-19 3:10 PM (#16866 - in reply to #16863)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Australia...Wolrd Champions!

Blue from West Oz - 2008-06-19 3:56 PM

All that weight must affect their ability to spell (Australia...Wolrd Champions!)
PING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-06-19 3:23 PM (#16868 - in reply to #16863)
COMSUBBBS

Word must have gotten out about Blue scoffing down Daniel's meals and his immence appetite for John Bay's lobstuhs.
Y'all will notice Blue hasn't posted any pictures of himself lately. He must be"Based on the old data and self-reported surveys, we had thought that 7 million adults were obese or overweight, but it is actually 9 million," one of the chosen few.
iPOD
Posted 2008-06-19 3:38 PM (#16869 - in reply to #16863)

Master and Commander

i think I slide into that bracket.....................just!!!!
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-06-19 3:44 PM (#16870 - in reply to #16863)
COMSUBBBS

HA---- You'll be skin and bone if Alison ever clicks into the place.
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-06-19 10:13 PM (#16880 - in reply to #16870)

Master and Commander

Ralph Luther - 2008-06-19 10:44 PM

HA---- You'll be skin and bone if Alison ever clicks into the place.

Nooooo, He will be just bone, cause she will skin him alive!
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2008-06-20 12:18 AM (#16881 - in reply to #16863)
Master and Commander

I thought you were referring to the price just paid for a Picasso in Australia. Blue, you gonna hang it in the parlor?
Smiley
Posted 2008-06-20 2:44 AM (#16883 - in reply to #16863)
Great Sage of the Sea

Well that would explain why I can't find any triple X speedos around here.. They're all going to OZ.....
I guess I'm gonna have to squeeze my ample arse into a size medium this Summer.. Oh! the gals at the pool will just love it..

Edited by Smiley 2008-06-20 2:44 AM
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-06-20 5:12 AM (#16885 - in reply to #16863)

Master and Commander

Subject: in my excitement to finish brekkie....

...I made a spelling mistake, Doc you are a hard master for sure!

Just checked my BMI and it is 24.7....phew, so close but yet so far!

The difference with me though is that I can and do exercise....so I will drop that shortly. ( he says knowingly that he cannot resist going back for 'seconds' )

the painting Walt is a little out of my league, after all, I am on a megre salary as a prison officer

Blue *_*
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-06-20 5:12 AM (#16886 - in reply to #16863)

Master and Commander

Subject: in my excitement to finish brekkie....

now I made a double post....the leftover chicken Thai red curry distracted me....sorry folks!

Blue *_*

Edited by Blue from West Oz 2008-06-20 5:15 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software