Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Among the 'first' that Electric Boat Division has introduced into American submarines, have been the marine Diesel engine, the perfected use of the storage battery, the combination of battery and internal combustion engine, and the world's first adaptation of nuclear energy to propulsion in the USS NAUTILUS.
Where Is The THid Japanese Midget Sub?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2008-06-28 10:40 AM (#17089)
Master and Commander

Subject: Where Is The THid Japanese Midget Sub?

We have two of three Japanese midget subs. One was found beached on the sand shore the day after the attack on Pearl. Another was found near the entrance to the harbor around 1960. I saw it on blocks along the pier when I was stationed there. A third sub radioed a successful attack on the American fleet but it didn't return after the attack. Where is it? I saw a picture of what appeared to be a periscope sticking up in the harbor behind what looks like a torpedo wake. I never heard of any search of the harbor itself to see if the sub is down there. Anybody know anything about a search of the harbor for the missing third sub?
snakeyez
Posted 2008-06-28 10:53 AM (#17090 - in reply to #17089)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: Where Is The THid Japanese Midget Sub?

Didn't they show that sub in the show "Secrets of Pearl Harbor" on Discovery/The Military Channel? It seems like I recall Dennis Haysbert diving on a Japanese Midget Sub and them commenting on it still having some kind of active torpedo onboard or something.

Am I close?
RCK
Posted 2008-06-28 11:11 AM (#17091 - in reply to #17090)
Master and Commander

snakeyez - 2008-06-28 10:53 AM

Didn't they show that sub in the show "Secrets of Pearl Harbor" on Discovery/The Military Channel? It seems like I recall Dennis Haysbert diving on a Japanese Midget Sub and them commenting on it still having some kind of active torpedo onboard or something.

Am I close?

That was the one that the U.S.S.Ward sank near the entrance to the harbor with gunfire. It's location is known,but there is still one midget sub unaccounted for as far as I know.
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-06-28 11:53 AM (#17096 - in reply to #17089)

COMSUBBBS

Send an E-Mail to Jim Christley....Jim is the GO TO man regarding ANYTHING to do with naval history, particularly submarines. Extremely knowledgable and if he tells you something, consider it golden. Remarkable man and the kind of gentlemen you wished you had riden with and shared stories withy over hot jamoke in the merssdeck of a "once upon a time" boat. DEX
Ric
Posted 2008-06-28 1:13 PM (#17098 - in reply to #17089)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Where Is The THid Japanese Midget Sub? Answer Maybe

Looks like it was buried in a land fill.

Click Here
RCK
Posted 2008-06-28 2:38 PM (#17099 - in reply to #17098)
Master and Commander

Ric - 2008-06-28 1:13 PM

Looks like it was buried in a land fill.

Click Here

Nope, still one unacounted for. One on the Beach in 1941, One found in 2002 that had been sunk by the Ward, the one sunk by the Mongahan later buried in a landfill, and the one sunk at the harbor enterance. One is still missing.
Ric
Posted 2008-06-28 3:05 PM (#17100 - in reply to #17099)

Plankowner

Three of the five Pearl Harbor midget submarines have been salvaged, Ha-19 immediately after the attack and the one sunk by USS Monaghan a few days later. The third was found off the harbor entrance in 1960. Monaghan's submarine was buried in a landfill shortly after its recovery. The other two are on exhibit, Ha-19 at Fredericksburg, Texas, and the one found in 1960 at Eta Jima, Japan.
RCK
Posted 2008-06-28 6:44 PM (#17106 - in reply to #17100)
Master and Commander

Ric - 2008-06-28 3:05 PM

Three of the five Pearl Harbor midget submarines have been salvaged, Ha-19 immediately after the attack and the one sunk by USS Monaghan a few days later. The third was found off the harbor entrance in 1960. Monaghan's submarine was buried in a landfill shortly after its recovery. The other two are on exhibit, Ha-19 at Fredericksburg, Texas, and the one found in 1960 at Eta Jima, Japan.

We can account for 4 of the 5 subs that were involved in the attack on Pearl Harbor. I recall seeing a photo of a picture that showed a torpedo that was thought to be released from a plane (The plane was not in the picture) but someone said that the picture showed a periscope wake(known as a feather) at a distance behind the torpedo. The claim was it was fire from a midget sub. It could have been doctored I suppose but there isn't any proof of that and it doesn;t seem feasible that someone would go through all that trouble. The contension is that the 5th midget sub is somewhere in Pearl Harbor. I seem to recall that a depth charge was dropped in the harbor during the attack. The other possibility was that it never made it into the harbor and is lost somewhere on the ocean floor. I think that a scan of the harbor would show if there is a sun down there and should be done to document the case. If it is there then it should be designated a military burial site.
steamboat
Posted 2008-06-28 6:51 PM (#17107 - in reply to #17106)
Master and Commander

The one that is now at the Nimitz museum in Fredricksburg, TX was the one that was towed all over the US on a trailer, eventually placed on display at the Sub Base in Key west, and is now in Texas. I hope they did some restoration on it, because it was in pretty sad condition when in Key West.
Steamboat sends
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-06-29 10:42 PM (#17143 - in reply to #17099)

Great Sage of the Sea

When I ws doing Westpacs in the late 70s and mid-80s, there was a Japanese mini-sub on display near the main Barracks complex on Naval Station Guam. Where did we catch that one?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software