Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Coronation ceremonies of Emperor Alexander II of Russia in 1855 were enlivened by a submarine concert. Wilhelm Bauer, a Bavarian inventor, took three musicians under the waters of Kronstadt Harbor in a submarine he had built, where they played appropriate music during the coronation. The music was distinctly heard on the surface.
Here Is Another Question
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2008-06-28 11:24 AM (#17092)
Master and Commander

Subject: Here Is Another Question

Three Soviet Foxtrot diesel subs with nuclear capability were sent under great secracy to Cuba during the Cuban Missle Crisis. We din't know anything about them, but before they arrived we knew that they were on thier way. How did we discover them and how did we know they were nuclear capable?
steamboat
Posted 2008-06-28 6:55 PM (#17108 - in reply to #17092)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Here Is Another Question

They stated on some TV documentary recentlythat we DID NOT KNOW at the time that they had nucs aboard. I doubt that our Tin Can skippers would have been so agressive in surfacing one of them had he known it could have blown him and the whole task force out of the water.
Steamboat sends
Gil
Posted 2008-06-28 10:19 PM (#17111 - in reply to #17092)
Master and Commander

I saw the same show on the Cuban Missile Crisis and it scary how close we came to nuclear war.  They interviewed the sub captains who were on radio silence to the Kremlin.  We didn't even know that Cuba already had nuclear missile warheads and could have reached something like 60% of the US.
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-06-29 4:50 AM (#17117 - in reply to #17111)

Master and Commander

Gil - 2008-06-28 11:19 PM

I saw the same show on the Cuban Missile Crisis and it scary how close we came to nuclear war.  They interviewed the sub captains who were on radio silence to the Kremlin.  We didn't even know that Cuba already had nuclear missile warheads and could have reached something like 60% of the US.

I read a book last summer (but I can't remember the name of it) that gave great details of how the U.S. Navy tracked the Soviet Submarines that were trying to get into Cuba. Most of the details came from interviews with the former Soviet Submarine Captains and some of the crew as well as interviews with members of a certain Destroyer (name also has eluded me) about their confrontations with the subs.
If I can remember the name of the book I'll post it and if I can find it here at my house I'll be happy to send it to whoever wants to read it.

Edited by Doc Gardner 2008-06-29 4:51 AM
Runner485
Posted 2008-06-29 5:37 AM (#17118 - in reply to #17092)

COMSUBBBS

One of the DD CO's said that when the first Ruskie sub surfaced his Tin Can was no further that 100 yards from the sub. I don';t think the sub could have fired her nuclear torpedo have it enable at such a short range, hit the DD and explode.

I'm just an engineman, so
what do you topedomen think. Also, if it is feasible, they're proximity to the DD, will also blow themselves out of the water.
Bob Melley
Posted 2008-07-01 10:15 AM (#17207 - in reply to #17092)
Old Salt

We were at nuke tests "Operation Dominic" at Johnson Island during the CMC....so was not privy to ATLANTIC FLT msg traffic...But as I understand it, the P2Vs had some type of flapper device that roughly looked like a hammer attached to a plate of some sort, it was magnetic and when dropped close to sub, it stuck and tapped against side.....allowing the sub to be tracked as she moved.....Of course, the gent who told me about this four years later in 1966 was a little loaded when we had our big "Cuban Missile Crisis" discussion at two weeks reserve summer duty....Naval Inshore Undersea Warfare Division 3-2.....we put hydrophones out in NY harbor.....no subs......lots of Coney Island whitefish.
TCM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-07-01 11:11 AM (#17210 - in reply to #17092)
COMSUBBBS

That gent was correct. I knew them as "clappers" if memory serves me right. I "found" one back in the '60's "somewhere" and had it around for a while. It "disappeared" during one of my moves during my single days. Seems like the last time I saw it it was on the bar at Geezers out at Folly Beach a long time ago.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software