Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I can't say anything bad about Doc Barboza; he cut my hair before I went ashore... and he cured my 'cold' when I came back." -- David Stevens, MM2(SS), USS Archerfish AGSS-311)
Wanna read a good book?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-06-30 1:50 PM (#17161)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: Wanna read a good book?

The USS Sennet SS-408 has a pretty good Author among its Crew Members. Jim Brannon EM2(SS) aboard Sennet during the '60's has written a book, 400 pages, titled: "Sarn't Jamey Doan". This is a fiction book about a Union Infantry Trooper during the U.S. Civil War. Time period 1859-1863. There is a sequel under constuction for the period 1863-.
The book can be bought at Barnes & Noble. I'm not certain about Amazon. Give it a shot. I enjoyed reading it.

Edited by Ralph Luther 2008-06-30 1:58 PM
Jim M.
Posted 2008-06-30 6:37 PM (#17167 - in reply to #17161)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: I just finished reading...

I just finished reading a book entitled "Taxi to the Snow Line" by Guy Sheridan (actually Lt. Colonel Guy Sheridan OBE Royal Marines Ret.). It details his various journeys on skis through some of the most inhospitable terrain in the world. Though not into skiing, I found his descriptions very thought provoking.

I also enjoyed Appendix I of the book, as it details Guy Sheridan's actions as land forces commander in April 1982, when the British recaptured the island of South Georgia from Argentina. He details his actions concerning ARA SANTA FE S-21 and its crew, after their surrender on 25 April 1982.

I'm now embarking on reading Thomas Pakenham's book THE BOER WAR, as I'll be going to South Africa in August to bring our son home (my wife took him over two weeks ago) and will most likely go battlefield stomping around Durban (I also hope..though I don't know if it'll be possible, to get to Rorke's Drift).. then maybe The Lost Prince, about Joe Kennedy Jr., who was killed on an Aphrodite mission in August of 1944, then Roger Perkins' book OPERATION PARAQUAT: The Battle For South Georgia.

Edited by Jim M. 2008-06-30 6:37 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software