Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "The Navy is not a job, it's not a career. It's a way of life.” -- MMCM (SS) "Grump" Barrie
Ammo prices?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

snakeyez
Posted 2008-06-30 6:25 PM (#17164)

Senior Crew

Subject: Ammo prices?

So I decide to check out my choice place on the internet to order ammunition from. To my surprise, the CCI Blazer 45 ACP 230gr FMJ 50 round boxes are $13.99. I haven't purchased ammo in a few years, so I go back and look at my last receipt. Sure enough, the same website sold me the same box for $7.89 in 2005.

A competing website is currently selling the same ammo for $20.99 "on sale".

Wow. Glad I ordered a BUNCH last time and haven't been shooting very much...
Stoops
Posted 2008-06-30 6:28 PM (#17165 - in reply to #17164)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Ammo prices?

For some reason, we are not allowed to shoot CCI ammo here in Houston....which is surprising to me.....

Go figure...
snakeyez
Posted 2008-06-30 6:41 PM (#17168 - in reply to #17164)

Senior Crew

Even CCI Blazer Brass?

I know many ranges don't allow CCI Blazer because it's not reloadable (aluminum). But the CCI Blazer Brass is. I've never shot the Brass, this is just plain old aluminum.
Bob Melley
Posted 2008-07-01 9:46 AM (#17203 - in reply to #17164)
Old Salt

Snakeeyes.....At these prices I'm taking my ammo to the bank and putting in safe deposit box.....better investment than GM or Ford.....Will keep the open box just in case I need to repel boarders......I have two full cases of 12 ga target loads.....paid about $5 bucks per box, maybe a bit less.....anyone know what 12ga 2 &3/4 in. 8's sell for now?????? Might be better than Wall Street.
Stoops
Posted 2008-07-01 12:58 PM (#17216 - in reply to #17164)
Master and Commander

In general, I'd suppose the price of ammo varies with the commodity price of lead....but Jon Krup can probably tell you for sure.

I have a few thousand rounds of brass and a few thousand cast bullets. The local ranges won't let us shoot cast bullets anymore....so I guess I'll have to find an outdoor range to use the cast bullets up.

I have some frangible bullets I need to load up too.

Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2008-07-01 3:04 PM (#17224 - in reply to #17164)
Master and Commander

Brass uses copper. Jacketed bullets use copper. Ammo has jumped over 100% in the last five years. Due to prices of components. I have enough put back to last. I have my own key to the sand pit. I have three public ranges within 50 miles. Closest is 10 miles. The sand pit is only three miles from work. Backstop is sixty feet high and pure Georgia clay. I can actually throw cans in the air and shoot them with my Taraus Judge (410 Pistol) With no problems. I can even still hit one with a 22 occasionally. Of course you have to wait until it reaches the top of it's raise, and just about stands still.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-07-01 3:53 PM (#17228 - in reply to #17164)
COMSUBBBS

Some years back there was a Mississippi Highway Patrolman by the name of John Fox that patroled around McNeil, MS to the Lousianna border that could toss a drink can in the air, draw his 357 side arm and keep that can just a hoppin through the air. Impressed the hell out of me with his shooting. He got a lot of respect from the local folks around there also.
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-07-01 5:50 PM (#17236 - in reply to #17216)

Master and Commander

Stoops - 2008-07-01 7:58 PM
In general, I'd suppose the price of ammo varies with the commodity price of lead....but Jon Krup can probably tell you for sure.

It isn't the price of lead, but the price of copper that is causing the price of ammo to go through the roof. The latest hunting law here in California has banned the use of lead in hunting bullets WHERE THE CALIFORNIA CONDORS LIVE. They have been eating the lead in bullets in gut piles and dead animals. The major manufacturers are hustling to change over to non-lead bullets.

Indoor ranges are having problems with lead contamination in the air we breathe. Shooting lead bullets in the indoor ranges is causing microscopic erosion on the bullet while traveling down the barrel of the gun, which is expelled as a hazardous vapor. Downrange in the backstops the bullets impact also causes micro pulverization and lead contamination. Some of the newer ranges, instead of using a steel backstop, either angled down to a sand pit, or angled up to a swirl chamber, are now using a pile of shreaded used tires to capture the bullets. The pile needs to be disassembled periodically to salvage the lead, then it needs to be rebuilt. Now the indoor ranges are banning lead bullets AND lead styphnate based primers. (the one exemption is .22LR ammo.)

I have no idea what outdoor ranges are using, but I do know that here in California, because of the condors, lead bullets are being frowned upon, even in the local glass gulches.

$orry guy$, but $hooting i$ going to get more expen$ive a$ time goe$ on.
Stoops
Posted 2008-07-01 6:28 PM (#17238 - in reply to #17164)
Master and Commander

Gee Whiz;......thank you big brother.............

Edited by Stoops 2008-07-02 6:55 AM
snakeyez
Posted 2008-07-01 6:39 PM (#17239 - in reply to #17164)

Senior Crew

My office was built in a dirt pit. Great place to go shooting, just no shade.

Walt - what do you think of that .410 pistol? I saw those in a magazine a while back and thought it was an awesome thing...but the more I thought about it the more I thought it'd be not fun to shoot.

I shoot nothing anymore except my 1977 Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge, it takes care of raccoons for me!
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2008-07-02 1:13 AM (#17247 - in reply to #17164)
Master and Commander

I have loaned the pistol out to several friends. About half complain about the kick. The other half have all paid full retail to get one. Mine has the short barrel. Origionally purchased for a defensive pistol for my son in a Memphis apartment. With a shot load, it won't penetrate both sides of drywall at eight feet. Up close and personal, that shot charge is like a bullet. Since we seem to now have an overabundance of Copperheads (10 bites in the last two months) lots of folks are trying to get one of the short barreled pistols to keep in a hip pocket. I have never fired one of the long barreled ones. It is also pretty accurate with 45 LC loads. Kind of suprised me.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software