Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: John Philip Holland built several submarines before the USS Holland, which became the first undersea craft commissioned by the U.S. Navy. The Holland was purchased on April 11, 1900 for a price of $150,000. It was commissioned into the US Navy on October 12, 1900.
Pearl Harbor Survivors
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-07-02 6:48 PM (#17263)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Pearl Harbor Survivors

I just rec'd a very nice picture from my Uncle Frank, my Dad's brother, who served aboard the USS Phelps (DD-360) during WWII. It is a photo from the 60th Anniversary with members of the Pearl Harbor Survivor Assoc. Since my Aunt's passing last fall, he has tried to keep himself busy with the Survivors Assoc. in VA Beach, VA. From what I understand, since Dec. 7th is on a Sunday this year, the Ceremony will probably be a little more significant than other years.

My Uncle is the second from the left. He served aboard the Phelps from the time she was in Pearl until she reached Norfolk in 1945.

Since the 4th of July is coming up, I thought you might like to see a few of the faces that helped to keep our Freedom as it is today.

(Pearl Harbor Survivors-60th Anniv Photo-1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Pearl Harbor Survivors-60th Anniv Photo-1.jpg (28KB - 745 downloads)
sister5lp
Posted 2008-07-02 7:25 PM (#17267 - in reply to #17263)

Mess cooking

Subject: RE: Pearl Harbor Survivors

Thank you for a timely reminder.
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-07-02 7:32 PM (#17269 - in reply to #17267)

COMSUBBBS

Hi Laura,

My Dad's family only has two members left, my Uncle Frank (pictured here) and my Uncle Charlie...and the irony is...they both served in the Navy...my Uncle Charlie coming in at the end of the War...and in Norfolk to greet his
older brother as he came home.
DRL673
Posted 2008-07-03 4:03 PM (#17297 - in reply to #17263)
Mess cooking

My mother's cousin GM William Mann was aboard the Arizona and went down with the ship; the VFW Post in his hometown of Elma, Wa was named in his honor. Until I joined in 1982 he was the only family member to serve in the Navy; we did have members in each of the other services. To this day he is the only family member to die during combat. I even had an uncle who was awarded the Bronze Star while serving in Korea. To all these family members and all men and women who went into harm's way to defend our way of life and our country I say Thank You!!! Hand Salute...... Too.

Dave Levering
MM1/SS
USS John Marshall SSN 611
USS Flying Fish SSN673
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software