Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "... The Navy's best are found upon; The pigboats black and trim; For men must be of sturdy stuff; To sink and still to swim ..." part of a poem, author unknown
25 things people wish would come back
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2008-07-03 9:32 AM (#17281)
Master and Commander

Subject: 25 things people wish would come back

http://money.aol.com/special/top-25-things-we-wish-would-come-back

Edited by RCK 2008-07-03 9:33 AM
Tom Conlon
Posted 2008-07-03 4:03 PM (#17298 - in reply to #17281)
Old Salt

Subject: RE: 25 things people wish would come back

WRT Train Travel & pleasurable air travel, I think one may affect the other.

As travel by air become less and less pleasurable, I think we're going to see more travel by train.

F'rinstance, this November my wife & I will be traveling to Orlando, FL (to WDW of course). We looked at air fares and found that they're going through the roof. In addition, in order to squeeze every possible buck out of us to make a profit, they're charging for checked baggage, soda on the plane, pillows, etc., etc., it's becoming a *real* hassle to fly.

OTOH, after doing some research, we found that, after factoring in all the associated costs of traveling (food at the airport, etc.), it's only a little more expensive to travel to Orlando by train.

We leave Newark, NJ at 1530 and arrive in Orlando at 1400 the following day; returning, we leave Orlando at 1930 and arrive in Newark at 1900 the following day. We have a "roomette" as AMTRAK calls it - 2 facing seats that convert to a bunk in the evening and a fold down bunk on top (guess which former submariner will get the top bunk).

Since we're considered "First Class" passengers, meals in the dining car are included. There's also the Lounge car.

All-in-all, I think it'll be much more pleasant than riding the "airborne Greyhound" to FL. We've allotted sufficient travel time both ways, so timing isn't a problem.

BTW, Blue can also tell us about traveling by train. I beileve he took a lot of trains when he did his "U.S. Oddessy" a couple of years back.
Bear
Posted 2008-07-03 7:18 PM (#17301 - in reply to #17281)

Great Sage of the Sea

some reason my puter will not let me see list
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-07-03 7:49 PM (#17303 - in reply to #17281)
COMSUBBBS

Travel by AMTRAK is okay, BUT, don't expect it to get your there ontime. It is good you are allowing yourselves time--you'll need it. BTDT
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-07-04 4:28 AM (#17308 - in reply to #17303)

Master and Commander

...Ralph, you and a few others around the USA had to wait an hour or two extra when I was traveling around via Amtrak. It was a great experience though and I loved it. Didn't meet any chickie babes though so that was another down side to my travels.

Now only 19 days before I arrive in Chicago for another short time in the US. My flight is costing a total of AUD$2,600.....luckily there is heaps of overtime going and someone who likes to share the costs.

Blue *_*
RCK
Posted 2008-07-04 6:41 AM (#17310 - in reply to #17301)
Master and Commander

Bear - 2008-07-03 7:18 PM

some reason my puter will not let me see list

Try Retyping the Addy in yur browser
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0