Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Alexander the Great (356 to 323 B.C.) ruler of Macedonia and conqueror of the known world in his time, is the first person known to have descended into the sea in a vessel of any kind.
No Answers
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2008-07-09 5:33 PM (#17459)
Master and Commander

Subject: No Answers

Sorry but neither candidate for president of the USof A knows what to do about the current gas crisis.
Stoops
Posted 2008-07-09 6:07 PM (#17461 - in reply to #17459)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: No Answers

I agree, but it won't stop them from proffering solutions, will it? Hee hee hee.

Obama doesn't understand capitalism....McCain might, but he's not about to do anything that might satisfy conservatives....we all lose, don't we?
Corabelle
Posted 2008-07-09 7:47 PM (#17462 - in reply to #17461)

COMSUBBBS

I thought McCain is a conservative. He's running on the Republican ticket, isn't he?

We're getting into dangerous ground. Isn't the rule here, "No Politics"?

Cora
Mac McCoy
Posted 2008-07-10 6:13 AM (#17469 - in reply to #17459)
Senior Crew

Cora they were not talking politics. They were just making statement of facts. And No John McCain is not in any way a conservative. And that is another fact.
Chew
Posted 2008-07-10 6:29 AM (#17470 - in reply to #17459)

Mess cooking

Republican is a party and Conservative is a political philosophy.

As an example; JFK was more of a conservative than either of the canidates running today.

Bob
Stoops
Posted 2008-07-10 6:09 PM (#17485 - in reply to #17462)
Master and Commander

Corabelle - 2008-07-09 7:47 PM

I thought McCain is a conservative. He's running on the Republican ticket, isn't he?

Cora

Cora, you need to be more skeptical. Where did you get the idea McCain was a conservative? Do you know what one is? Or did you just believe that he said he was one? McCain, like Obama, will say anything to anyone for the vote.....hell, Heidi Fleiss has nothing on those two....but at least her customers were happy for a while...........
Corabelle
Posted 2008-07-10 8:58 PM (#17489 - in reply to #17485)

COMSUBBBS

I thought I knew what a conservative was - someone who believes in less government control. McCain is for more government in our lives? No? Yes?

And I guess I thought the Repulican party was conservative, while the Democrats were liberal.

So, straighten me out.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-07-11 9:20 AM
Chew
Posted 2008-07-11 6:48 AM (#17493 - in reply to #17489)

Mess cooking

If you can dig up a copy of "Concience of a Conservative" by Barry Goldwater, it lays out the principles in a collected series of articles he wrote back in the 50's.

Bob
Stoops
Posted 2008-07-11 1:38 PM (#17508 - in reply to #17489)
Master and Commander

Corabelle - 2008-07-10 8:58 PM

I thought I knew what a conservative was - someone who believes in less government control. McCain is for more government in our lives? No? Yes?

And I guess I thought the Repulican party was conservative, while the Democrats were liberal.

So, straighten me out.

Cora

Well, Cora, in certain times in the past, that was correct. As was pointed out earlier by an astute shipmates, conservatism is a philosophy. Republicans belong to a party which presently is not much different than the dems when it comes to fiscal responsibility or limiting the size of government. And that is why the republicans lost so big in the last elections....

McCain could only be considered conservative in a relativistic sense.....when compared to someone like Obama, Hil, or others in the democratic leadership.

On certain specific issues, McCain sides with the Dems....McCain-Feingold, McCain-Kennedy, etc. And he apparently has a personal hatred of GWB which may explain his seeming excitement when he can cross the aisle to side with the dems.
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-07-12 9:31 AM (#17520 - in reply to #17508)

Master and Commander

The big problem with both political parties, is that they both have become extremist. There are no moderates in either party. It has become an "all or none" "either you are for us, or agin us" mentality.

A few months ago on one of these BBSs, there was a link to a series of questions. You answer the questions and the computer will take your answers, and places you on a political map. It had already taken the answers of the political candidates and plotted their positions on that same map.

When I took the test, it turns out the map looked like a bumpy donut, with me pretty close to the center, and all the candidates as the nut-bumps on the extreme outside rim. That's why I feel alienated from both major political parties.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software