Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS NAUTILUS SSN 571 steamed 60,000 miles on a lump of Uranium the size of a golf ball. A diesel powered submarine would have required 3,000,000 gallons or 300 railway tank cars of oil.
Needed- Submarine Detectives
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

GaryKC
Posted 2008-07-13 10:25 AM (#17540)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Needed- Submarine Detectives

While compiling a crew mailing list for next years USS Tusk reunion, someone mentioned that a name from my Tusk website crewlist matched one found inscribed on the Vietnam Wall. Indeed a HM1 Patrick D. Moriarty was aboard 1960-61 and a HMC Patrick Dale Moriarty died in Vietnam on 3/9/1968. I've bruised my brain and my naked mole rat pondering the question, are they the same feller?
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-07-13 11:37 AM (#17541 - in reply to #17540)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Needed- Submarine Detectives

Gary: I copied this from the Viet Nam Memorial Wall website; it's not proof positive that it's the same guy but he length of service and rank would make it a good assumption.
Rest in Peace, "Doc". Your service will be remembered by Marines for as long as there is a Corps.
Doc Gardner
HM1(SS) / FMF

PATRICK DALE MORIARTY

HMC - E7 - Navy - Regular

Length of service 16 years
His tour began on Jul 15, 1967
Casualty was on Mar 9, 1968
In QUANG NAM, SOUTH VIETNAM
HOSTILE, GROUND CASUALTY
OTHER EXPLOSIVE DEVICE
Body was recovered

Panel 43E - Line 68

Palm Bay Ken
Posted 2008-07-13 11:37 AM (#17542 - in reply to #17540)

Great Sage of the Sea

From Navy Log website

(HMC.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments HMC.jpg (22KB - 667 downloads)
Attachments (0KB - 678 downloads)
Darrin
Posted 2008-07-13 11:38 AM (#17543 - in reply to #17540)

Great Sage of the Sea

This was on the website:

FACES FROM THE WALL
MONTANA and VIETNAM WAR

Patrick Dale MORIARTY

Birth 1930-04-17 Rank HMC Date of Death 1968-03-09
P. of birth Service US Navy Place Quang Nam South Vietnam
Town of
Record Napa, CA Unit 3rd MAF, 2nd CA Grp, Combined Action Program Death Code Hostile, Died-Other Explosive Device-Ground Casualty
Hometown service # 9889713 Panel 43E - Line 68
Married Married Local Billings Medals Purple Heart
Tour Date 1967-07-15 Comment Cemetery

Ex-Resident War Victim The husband of a Billings woman was killed Saturday when a mine exploded near Da Nang, Vietnam. Navy Hospital Corpsman Chief Patrick D. Moriarty, whos wife, the former Mary Jane Gray, and four children live at 216 Lexington Drive, recently write to the Gazette about his friend Gregory Gifford, of Billings, killed in Vietnam, 20 days before Moriarty. Moriarty, Gifford's immediate superior in a field medical unity, said, "Billings can be rightly proud" of Gifford and told of his "unselfish contribution" in Vietnam.
(Billings Gazette, Billings MT, 14 Mar 1968)

Patrick Moriarty Military services and burial for Navy Hospital Corpsman Chief Patrick D. Moriarty, who was killed Saturday when a mine exploded near Da Nang, Vietnam, will be in Napa CA. His wife and four children moved to Billings from Virginia when Chief Moriarty left for Vietnam in June. They live at 216 Lexington Drive. Chief Moriarty was born 17 Apr 1934, to Pomono CA. He had been in the service 16 1/2 years. He was stationed in Billings from 1854-1956 as a hospital corpsman with the U.S. Marine Reserve instructor staff. He married Mary Jane Gray in Billings on 18 Nov 1955. Survivors include the widow, a son, Frank 5; three daughters, Bonnie, 11, Vonnie, 20, Kathleen, 5; two brothers, five sisters and his mother, Mrs. Clara Moriarty, Napa. (Billings Gazette, Billings MT, 14 Mar 1968)

GaryKC
Posted 2008-07-13 11:57 AM (#17544 - in reply to #17540)

COMSUBBBS

Thanks to you all, my own research showed his birthdate as both 1930 and 1934 also. Great work SSherlocks, it's the same guy. The service number is the same. RIP Chief.
Darrin
Posted 2008-07-13 12:18 PM (#17545 - in reply to #17540)

Great Sage of the Sea

Hey Gary,
why don't you see IF you can track his widow and the kids down and invite them to the TUSK reunion, I am sure that they will be suprised and may show up if they know about it.

RIP Chief, thank you for your service

Darrin
Gil B
Posted 2008-07-14 3:54 PM (#17552 - in reply to #17545)
Mess cooking

If anyone has any luck with his relatives, I would like to talk to them as well. We have a Patrick Dale Moriarty HMC who served on Torsk in 66-67. I had heard that he went to Viet Nam and was killed so it has to be the same guy.

Thanks!

Gil
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-07-14 4:38 PM (#17555 - in reply to #17540)
COMSUBBBS

You really need to check the service number rather than a name for positive ID. Even if the name you think is to strange. I learned the hard way by taking for granted that the deceased was our crew member.
Right now I'm trying to confirm that Jack Lavern Moore listed on Eternal Patrol the other day is the same person as Jack L. Moore that served on Sennet as a LT during the years '49-'53. Much of the information in the obit fits but not enough to be positive. The Naval archives don't give ID numbers for Officers as they do for enlisted, so, you have to track down family that can identify whether or not they are one in the same.
Darrin
Posted 2008-07-14 5:30 PM (#17558 - in reply to #17540)

Great Sage of the Sea

Jesus Gil,
1+1 didn't = 2 on that one... I had seen that somewhere and it was bothering me why I knew or had seen the name somewhere and now I know why... Here very shortly I will try to track the family down and see IF they would like to see where the Chief had been and see IF they would like to be apart of the submarine community again.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software