Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: During their wartime operations submarines have engaged in some unusual maritime actions. One undersea craft slugged it out with the infantry and field artillery while other submarines destroyed a zeppelin, a bus, and a railroad train.
STARBUCKS
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2008-07-22 10:06 AM (#17749)
Master and Commander

Subject: STARBUCKS

So are there a bunch of Starbucks commandos out there that feel bad that their local coffee oasis is shutting down? In the good ole US of A submarine service we drank high octane coffee with an oil slick floating on the surface all the time. I am just now gettin the index finger back straight. Black and Bitter was my drink and without it I would deflate like a rubber raft with a hole in it. I think the Bureau of Narcotics had a special department reserved for us coffee addicts.
snakeyez
Posted 2008-07-22 11:01 AM (#17752 - in reply to #17749)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: STARBUCKS

Just what is that "oil slick on the surface" in coffee anyway?
RCK
Posted 2008-07-22 11:38 AM (#17753 - in reply to #17752)
Master and Commander

"Just what is that "oil slick on the surface" in coffee anyway?"

There are several possibilities regarding the source of the "oil slick" that floated on top of a freshly draw cup a coffee.. Some felt that it was an error in the fuel line routing that allowed the coffee pot to be cross connected to the coffee pot while others felt that it was from a a faulty one way valve the connected the coffee pot to # 2 sanitary tank and allowed a back up flow. I favor the second theory myself. Coffee from the After Batt. always had a strange piquant to it that reminded me of .....well .....
Jim M.
Posted 2008-07-22 11:54 AM (#17754 - in reply to #17749)

Great Sage of the Sea

RCK - 2008-07-22 10:06 AM

So are there a bunch of Starbucks commandos out there that feel bad that their local coffee oasis is shutting down? IQUOTE]

Nah... there's a little coffee shop/bookstore on the water in Old Town Annapolis, that has a sticker saying "Friends don't let friends drink Starbucks..."
Scrivener
Posted 2008-07-22 12:59 PM (#17756 - in reply to #17749)
Senior Crew

“...faulty one way valve the connected the coffee pot to # 2 sanitary tank...”

I read somewhere that there actually is a type of coffee that is made from beans that have passed through monkeys' digestive tracts. It’s very expensive. On the Pickerel, we achieved the same effect without so much fuss or expense. Of course, our coffee was brewed by mess cooks, who often were Deck Apes...
Ric
Posted 2008-07-22 1:29 PM (#17758 - in reply to #17749)

Plankowner

I made a mistake and had Starbucks once. that was enough.... I quit drinking coffee since I could no longer get a good cup 'o joe after SB ruined the industry.....and everyone else though they should imitate SB... Yuck... sooner suck on a charcoal briquette..... haven't had coffee in about 10 years now!
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-07-22 2:48 PM (#17759 - in reply to #17749)
COMSUBBBS

My intake of coffee is very low also since I retired off the road.
I guess I'm cheap because I always thought Starbucks was nothing but one giant rip-off.

Edited by Ralph Luther 2008-07-22 2:49 PM
Corabelle
Posted 2008-07-22 4:47 PM (#17761 - in reply to #17756)

COMSUBBBS

I heard that, too George. It was in the movie "The Bucket List." Yum, yum.

Cora
Mac McCoy
Posted 2008-07-22 6:15 PM (#17765 - in reply to #17749)
Senior Crew

I have had to give up drinking strong coffee. Now I only make it strong enough to keep the horse shoe nail upright where once it would float the shoe. Have to limit myself to 8 cups in the am and 6 in the pm. Dont want it to keep me awake.

Starbucks is Ok but awfully expensive for what you get. Cant stand the colored water that most places call coffee. When we go out to eat I always drink tea or soda with my meal.
Mac McCoy
Posted 2008-07-22 6:18 PM (#17766 - in reply to #17749)
Senior Crew

Wasn't the oil slick on the coffee from all the hydraulic leaks. I remember that we had pans under the mbt actuators in the mess hall.
Scrivener
Posted 2008-07-22 6:31 PM (#17767 - in reply to #17749)
Senior Crew

"I remember that we had pans under the mbt actuators in the mess hall."

And, depending on how full they were, the pans would spill their contents when the boat took on an angle.
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-07-22 7:40 PM (#17771 - in reply to #17761)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: STARBUCKS...and "The Bucket List"...

Cora, I did see this movie...meant to tell you earlier. It was a great movie...and yes, the ref. to Starbucks had me in a fit of laughter...and now reading all the comments here...just makes me want to "shy away" more than ever from their "brand of coffee". I had my own experience with one such store in WA. last year after the Cruise...
and will just say...never did I ever think I would be caught in the middle of a "blonde joke"...but I was...and it has cured of ever thinking that Starbucks will be anything other than what it is...the most vile coffee ever "brewed"...and that people would actually go out of their way to purchase it...and keep going back for more...and hand over their money willingly!
Scrivener
Posted 2008-07-22 8:12 PM (#17773 - in reply to #17749)
Senior Crew

My youngest daughter worked as a Barista at a coffee stand for the last two years of high school, and shortly after she graduated she opened her own stand. She serves all the exotic latte (sp?), etc., coffee drinks, but she also serves a very good Café Americano, which as far as a can tell is just a blonde and sweet, for $1.50. (Dad get his coffee for free, though.)

Here in metropolitan Alaska, those stand are all over. I understand that back east and in the Midwest they are not so popular.
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-07-22 8:33 PM (#17774 - in reply to #17773)

COMSUBBBS

That's not a bad idea, but there are just too many malls in the general area here, that would do a stand like that in...we had a "sort of stand" called Nancie's that really did quite well, until Starbucks moved in...they had their own brand of coffee and it was good. They had fresh goodies every day to accompany the many styles of coffee they sold...and it was just so great to see an "independent" store owner making it good. They used to have their own version of Cafe Americano...and yes, it's blonde and sweet...for $2.00...but that was, in Starbuck's terms, a "Grande".
Scrivener
Posted 2008-07-22 8:49 PM (#17775 - in reply to #17749)
Senior Crew

A couple of years after my daughter opened her stand, Starbucks moved into town. What she found was that her business wasn’t impacted. A different type of clientele seems to gravitate to chain coffee houses. My daughter’s customers are average Joes and Janes in a rush to get to work. It’s a lot quicker— and in the winter, much easier— to simply drive up and get coffee without leaving the car and braving the elements. And, she serves a good cup of coffee.
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-07-22 9:59 PM (#17776 - in reply to #17759)

Master and Commander

Subject: Straight from the horses mouth....

Ralph Luther - 2008-07-23 4:48 AM

....I guess I'm cheap because I ........

is this 'Blankety Blanks'? I wonder what the best fill in would be after Ralph's startling revelation?

"I guess I'm cheap because......."

Blue in Tokyo enroute to Minneapolis enroute to Chicago
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-07-23 1:46 AM (#17779 - in reply to #17749)

Great Sage of the Sea

Visalia is a city of about 120,000 people now (when we moved from Milwaukee in 1957 it was 18,000). We have 9 Starbucks locations, PLUS 5 Starbucks kiosks inside grocery stores. 1 of the free-standing Starbucks is slated to close sometime in the next 6 months. The next stores from the one closing are about 1 mile away, either north, west, or east.

We also have about 15 local coffee shops that seem to do just as well, a Seattle's Best alcove in the Borders store, plus about 10 drive-thru coffee stops. (Remember the old Foto-Mat kiosks in grocery store parking lots?) A couple of the locals are large enough and popular enough to host live music on the weekends. You have your choice of rock-n-roll, jazz, folk, latin, or cowboy music.

Me, I buy whole-bean Irish Cream-flavored coffee from the shops that sponsor the jazz and cowboy music. They have great soup and sandwich deals, too.

So 1 less Starbucks is no great loss.

Jim M.
Posted 2008-07-23 5:09 AM (#17781 - in reply to #17749)

Great Sage of the Sea

Like the sticker says, Friends don't let friends drink Starbucks. Once in a blue moon do I get a Starbucks..the most recent time being when I picked my wife up at the airport coming back from South Africa at oh-dark-early...needed the caffeine to drive home to Annapolis.

Anyhoo.. we get whole bean coffee, grind it and drink it.. much better that way.
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-07-23 11:45 AM (#17797 - in reply to #17781)

COMSUBBBS

That really is the only way to fly, so to speak. We have one of these "she-she-" coffee makers that makes one cup at a time...don't get me wrong, I like the convenience, but it's getting way too expensive and I can't always find the blend I like...but they do have the "make your own" cup that you can just put any blend in, so that may be my next solution...I have to have my coffee in the AM!!!
Runner485
Posted 2008-07-23 11:47 AM (#17798 - in reply to #17749)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Patti! aka Lumpy Bumps

Patti,

With all the great coffee shops in WA. why did you choose a Starbucks? I tried one place that sold a brand called, Tallys or Tellys or Tullys, not sure.  Tasted it and it was excellent. So I bought a few bags for one of my sons. He loved it and now buys it online and it's imported to New Jersey for him....
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-07-23 12:22 PM (#17800 - in reply to #17798)

Admin

Subject: RE: Patti! aka Lumpy Bumps

That would be Tully's... better coffee overall but just as expensive - but their staff are generally much faster and effecient.  Seattle's Best is more like "traditional" coffee and when brewed by no-name restaurants in good ol' urns... tastes pretty much like the old days.
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-07-23 12:55 PM (#17803 - in reply to #17798)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Patti! aka Lumpy Bumps

Because it was the closest "coffee" establishment at the moment. We were at UPS store up in Mountlake Terrace at the time, sending our belongings home from the Cruise...and I was dying for a cup of coffee...and if I had my druthers...but to be honest, I wouldn't have missed being a "part of a blonde joke"...because it was just way too funny...but that is for another time.

Tully's...will have to remember that one. The coffee maker we have is made by Keurig...and the coffee I get for it is Green Mountain from Vermont. It's really great coffee. They make all sorts of blends, my own preference is the Breakfast Blend...well, dummy me, I just noticed that I can order it on line right from them...will have to see what they charge compared to ordering from Keurig.

Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-07-23 4:13 PM (#17816 - in reply to #17749)
COMSUBBBS

I believe it was on the Sennet where the coffee pot was right beneath the actuator for the main induction. The drip pan under the actuator had a little petcock so if your coffee didn't have a slick to your liking or if you were a bit constipated from eating the Navy's cheese, you could just reach up and add a little dab will do ya. Now is that looking out for the troops or what?
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-07-24 8:57 AM (#17838 - in reply to #17749)

COMSUBBBS

You haven't had coffee until you've had a cup of bottom of the pot midwatch diesel boat coffee it is a pre-metamorphic transition to asphalt...you can chew in the stuff, transfuse an iguana with it, bounce lug nuts off it. The oil slick came from hydraulic leaking lines...it had a laxitive effect until your system accomodated itself to it...One medical officer off ORION attributed the frequent occurance of boils, carbucles and feruncles to smokeboat coffee. You could poison cockroaches with it and inflicting smokeboat coffee on captured forces was not permittede under multiple "cruel and unusual" prohibitions of the Geneva Co9nvention....It closely resembled Komoto Dragon diarreah.....good stuff, it either made you a stronger, better man or it killed you. DEX
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-07-24 4:03 PM (#17855 - in reply to #17838)

COMSUBBBS

Gee, that sounds almost like the first pot of coffee I ever tried to make...at the ripe old age of 7...and the funny thing about it...my Dad seemed to enjoy it.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software