Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Leonardo da Vinci, the Florentine Renaissance inventor and artist, developed plans for an underwater warship but kept them secret. He was afraid that it would make war even more frightful than it already was.
What's wrong with Doc???? (nsr)
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2008-07-25 9:55 AM (#17883)

Plankowner

Subject: What's wrong with Doc???? (nsr)

Read this
What's wrong with Doc?
RCK
Posted 2008-07-25 10:44 AM (#17885 - in reply to #17883)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: What's wrong with Doc???? (nsr)

He didn't know what he was getting into. Training scenarios that medics go through aren't anything like real life. The shock of a mutilated human thrashing around in pain requires the ability to shut out the horrible aspects and get your mind in a clinical mode performing what you were trained to do and shutting out the suffering of the victim so you can do your job. One thing you learn during your clinical years in Med school (Junior and Senior rotations), residency and fellowship years is not to let yourself be drawn emotionally into the patients suffering. When this happens you cease to be of value to the patient in his struggle to survive. You are not there to cry over the patient, you are there to try and save his/her life.
Darrin
Posted 2008-07-25 1:02 PM (#17890 - in reply to #17883)

Great Sage of the Sea

Doc tried to save the wounded and couldn't and he probably held them in his arms as they died and he probably blames himself for not being able to save them, and he probably lives with that nightmare every night of the week that he gave his all to save them but there was nothing more that he could do..

I know because I have BTDT for a UH-60 crash at Ft. Campbell on 22 April 1999, that day 2 people died in my arms as I tried to save them and 3 more died after they were medavac'd out. There were 11 souls onboard that UH-60 Blackhawk when it hit the trees, I sent 7 to the road alive that day (pilot was still traped in what was left of the airframe when I was relieved by EMS) and only 4 lived. A couple of the Pathfinders that I tried to save and one Crew Chief still haunt me and at times they tell me that I should have done more and that I could have done more to save them.... They don't visit everyday anymore, the quacks have helped me deal with that part of my PTSD and when they show up it tends to be brutal for me and a lot of sleepless nights have occured since that fateful day when as a young 27 year old Army Specalist tried to save their lives, another note to that one of my Staff Sergeants saved me and part of an infantry unit because he noticed that the anti collision lights were still on and one was setting in JP-8, Hydraulic Fluid and he was able to find the battery before it ignited and lit the whole area up because of the fuel and hydraulics spewed all over the area.

I take my hat off to that DOC and hope that he is still with us and that he has gotten help to get his demons to leave him alone at least for a little while at a time.

Darrin
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-07-25 3:32 PM (#17891 - in reply to #17883)

Master and Commander

A familiar story and one that I'm intimately familiar with. It's one of the reasons I spend so much time with the Marines doing volunteer work. Not all paybacks are hell.
Semper Fi Doc
sister5lp
Posted 2008-07-25 6:46 PM (#17894 - in reply to #17883)

Mess cooking

it takes a special person and personality to be able to stay in the medical profession long term. I know I couldn't do it long term. However I aalso know that my oldest sister has that just right personality, in that she is able to maintain a certain detachment, when it's needed. Doesn't mean she doesn't care or isn't concerned, jsut means she understands that isn't what's needed at the time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software