Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In 1921, a United States submarine, the R-14, having run out of fuel at sea while looking for the missing tug USS Conestoga, rigged sails from blankets and hammocks sewn together. Bunk frames were used for yardarms and booms. The torpedo loading king post for a fore mast, the torpedo loading boom for a mizzen mast and the telescoping radio mast, for the main mast. The R-14 sailed 100 miles in five days to the port of Hilo, T.H. at a speed of two knots. It has been reported in March 2016 that the Conestoga has been located 3 miles off Southeast Farallon Island, probably sinking with-in a day of leaving port. All hands lost.
NR-1 Ending 40-year career
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

nancy
Posted 2008-07-27 11:21 AM (#17957)

Old Salt

Subject: NR-1 Ending 40-year career

A very wise submariner made a good point Saturday at the USS COD picnic (I'm now a member of COD Base and USSVI).

As for my mention in this forum a couple weeks back about going away for awhile, he said to just pick and choose topics of interest as others do and don't worry about not getting responses to posts.

So..."thanks" to him and others in this forum for your sound advice.

That said --

NR-1: If you haven't visited Eric's The SubReport lately, it's full of interesting news. Today's report includes story of the upcoming end of duty for the NR-1.  http://www.thesubreport.com/

Skii
Posted 2008-07-27 8:14 PM (#17975 - in reply to #17957)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: NR-1 Ending 40-year career

Great post and great article - welcome back and hope you enjoyed the Cod reunion (sorry it is in Clevelend but not all of us can live in God's country (oopos Country Music Hall and Fame there)

Keep posting and sending your inputs

ski
nancy
Posted 2008-07-28 8:29 AM (#17982 - in reply to #17975)

Old Salt

Thanks, Skii. It's the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, although NYC refuses to give up the induction ceremony to little old Cleveland.
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-07-28 12:26 PM (#17993 - in reply to #17957)

COMSUBBBS

Welcome back, Nancy. Not only great post...but all the other links contained within this one link...great reading.

nancy
Posted 2008-07-28 3:09 PM (#17996 - in reply to #17993)

Old Salt

Thanks, Patti. You and I do share some history. That these submariners accept us women -- with related submariners -- is very special to me.

Have found it unusual for forum members to use "new messages" link. As you know, is tiny but in top right in forum.

miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-07-28 7:01 PM (#18005 - in reply to #17996)

COMSUBBBS

Yep, we got lucky over here...they let us play in their "sandbox"...and I actually, every once in a blue moon, come up with a sub related topic or two...still working on the item from my last post...Dean Axene from the Nautilus...hubby and I are going up to the 50th Anniversary "Polar" celebration this weekend...as I posted earlier, we went to 50th Anniversary in 2004 and looking forward to this weekends festivities. Hopefully we will run into some of Garry's crew mates, as we did last time. Will take a bunch of photos and post them when we get back.

nancy
Posted 2008-07-30 10:09 AM (#18109 - in reply to #17957)

Old Salt

Patti Lynn: Know you'll have a memorable time. Look foward to pixs. Nancy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software