Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Among the 'first' that Electric Boat Division has introduced into American submarines, have been the marine Diesel engine, the perfected use of the storage battery, the combination of battery and internal combustion engine, and the world's first adaptation of nuclear energy to propulsion in the USS NAUTILUS.
My new Avatar
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-07-28 3:52 PM (#18000)

Master and Commander

Subject: My new Avatar

Since everyone is updating their photos I've decided it's time to do the same. However, I'm not going to fall into the trap of showing what I used to look like back when I had hair and it was dark brown. Nope; none of that time machine stuff for me. I'm going back to my roots and showing my true self and damn the consequences.
John Bay
Posted 2008-07-28 5:34 PM (#18002 - in reply to #18000)
Old Salt

Subject: RE: My new Avatar

Yup. Smells about right....
Corabelle
Posted 2008-07-28 9:12 PM (#18015 - in reply to #18000)

COMSUBBBS

Looks like a skeleton of a fish with boney arms and a human skull face. Can you make it larger Doc, for those of us visually challenged?

Cora
Runner485
Posted 2008-07-29 5:08 AM (#18024 - in reply to #18000)

COMSUBBBS

Cora, that's called a Blow fish.....This fish spends it's entire life trying to play the tune Gary Owen through its nose pipes underwater and eventually blows its head off due to the back pressure....
Tom McNulty
Posted 2008-07-29 5:41 AM (#18025 - in reply to #18000)

Master and Commander

I was wondering if Doc had those bagpipes on the boat. It would have been nice to play them during change of command in Holy Loch. I think the natives would have gone nuts hearing the pipes echo off the surrounding hills. The downside would have been the effect on too many hangovers.
Flapper
Posted 2008-07-29 4:38 PM (#18066 - in reply to #18024)

Master and Commander

Runner485 - 2008-07-29 6:08 AMCora, that's called a Blow fish.....This fish spends it's entire life trying to play the tune Gary Owen through its nose pipes underwater and eventually blows its head off due to the back pressure....

DAMMITALL, Runner! You owem me repair fees for having my keyboard cleaned after I spewed Diet Pepsi all over it, reading your post!
ROFLMAO
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-07-30 1:49 AM (#18081 - in reply to #18015)

Master and Commander

Subject: Is this photo big enough?

Corabelle - 2008-07-28 10:12 PM

Looks like a skeleton of a fish with boney arms and a human skull face. Can you make it larger Doc, for those of us visually challenged?

Cora

Is this big enough?
How many of you know that the tune Gary Owen is the Regimental tune of the 7th Cavalry and George Armstrong Custer?
(see Joe's post); btw Joe, I put in a relief valve to ensure that my butt doesn't fall off when the pressure gets too high.

Edited by Doc Gardner 2008-07-30 3:30 AM

(missing-link.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments missing-link.jpg (23KB - 656 downloads)
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2008-07-30 2:13 AM (#18085 - in reply to #18000)
Master and Commander

At one time I had the privilage of holding a pocket watch that played Gary Owen when opened. Yes, it was authenticated to the 7th. No, I could never afford it, or one like it. Wish I could. Belonged to a watch repairmen in NYC that specialized in antique pocket watches. He had repaired my Uncles watch, one I inherited. Nothing historic about it, other than it survived the Pacific Ocean and New Guiney.
Corabelle
Posted 2008-07-30 10:34 AM (#18112 - in reply to #18081)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Is this photo big enough?

Yes, indeedy. Now I can see the fish playing the bagpipes.

The Garry Owen is my very special military march. A romantic (such as I) dreams that Custer and the 7th rode into history to the music of the Garry Owen.

I have visited the Custer Battlefield - or - the site of Custer's Last Stand several times. Each time I hear the Garry Owen muffled by the staccato of rifle shots and the muted sound of arrows piercing flesh.

I have a copy of the movie, Son of the Morning Star, featuring Gary Cole as Custer. Now, this is the way that our tour guide Miss Kitty Deer Nose (a beautiful Crow Indian) tells the story. Custer had been taught, when he was at West Point, that if the army comes upon an Indian encampment, the best strategy is to start shooting. A delay in attack gives the Indians time to sneak away. He was instructed that this is what would happen if an immediate engagement isn't initiated. This is why he didn't wait for expected reinforcements before attacking.

And, also, because the BIA was embarrassed by the numbers of Indians who had left the confines of the reservations underestimated numbers of the different tribes that the 7th would likely encounter were given to all military commanders. So, Lt. Col. Custer was totally surprised (no kidding) by the large number of Indians who had gathered on the shores of the Little Big Horn River.

Yes, Custer was an egotist. It almost took one to be a leader back then. BUT his defeat wasn't entirely his fault. I like the flamboyant General Yellow Hair.

Dex calls himself "an old coot." Try this one. My father was born in 1870. He was six years old when Custer was killed on the greasy grass in what is now Montana. Two generations of my family (my father and me) stretch into three centuries - from the 19th to the 21st.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-07-30 12:56 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software