Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: How long will it take the average sailor to become a submariner? The average sailor will never become a submariner.
Guests? Who Are They?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

nancy
Posted 2008-07-28 8:03 PM (#18008)

Old Salt

Subject: Guests? Who Are They?

Curious.

Rght now there are 15 folks online: 7 registered; 8 guests. Assume some guests are submariners checking out topics.

While I used to be naive, not anymore. "Research" one reason for guests. Anyone have other thoughts?

Surely not Ivan!

miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-07-28 8:27 PM (#18009 - in reply to #18008)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Guests? Who Are They?

Lurkers, like me...who just sit and read the posts.
snakeyez
Posted 2008-07-28 8:36 PM (#18010 - in reply to #18008)

Senior Crew

I'd guess that at least half of them are spiders/web crawlers/bots. These are the things that do the dirty work for search engines. Some are also email harvesters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_crawler
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-07-28 8:54 PM (#18011 - in reply to #18008)

Admin

If you don't log onto the bbs and come in and just read... then you show up as a "guest"
Roy Ator
Posted 2008-07-28 8:57 PM (#18012 - in reply to #18008)

Great Sage of the Sea

Then there are some of us that are registered users that occasionally check the board traffic without logging in. No log in required to read, only necessary if responding.  Appreciate your continued participation! Thus, at times, I may be a guest.

As you may be well aware, some of my posts/responses may not be truly "submarine related", but they come from a career submariner. I know that Gentry understands where I'm coming from.  We sometimes feel the urge to get "off topic" and it finds its way into this venue...

Example: This string isn't directly submarine discussion > ? > ?
Ric
Posted 2008-07-28 10:02 PM (#18018 - in reply to #18008)

Plankowner

I only log in when I want to make a post and then log back out at once. 99% of my time looking at this board is as not logged in.

Ric
PaulR
Posted 2008-07-29 6:11 AM (#18026 - in reply to #18008)

Master and Commander

Then there are those like me who NEVER log off.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-07-29 8:28 AM (#18034 - in reply to #18008)
COMSUBBBS

I stay logged on also. I hate to write down different passwords to the various sites. My memory is getting short, sorta like-------. Damn, another brain pharte.
nancy
Posted 2008-07-30 1:55 PM (#18123 - in reply to #18012)

Old Salt

Roy Ator - 2008-07-28 8:57 PM Then there are some of us that are registered users that occasionally check the board traffic without logging in. No log in required to read, only necessary if responding.  Appreciate your continued participation! Thus, at times, I may be a guest.

Roy, thanks. In case you don't know, When I get your message from webmaster, here's what it looks like, Is this due to editing tools?

<font size="3">Then there are some of us that are registered users that occasionally check the board traffic without logging in. No log in required to read, only necessary if responding.  <span style="font-weight: bold;">Appreciate your continued participation!</span> Thus, at times, I may be a guest.<br /><br /><font size="2">As you may be well aware, some of my posts/responses <span style="font-weight: bold;">may not</span> be truly &quot;submarine related&quot;, but they come from a career submariner. I know that Gentry understands where I'm coming from.  We sometimes feel the urge to get &quot;off topic&quot; and it finds its way into this venue...<br /><br /><font size="4">Example: This string isn't directly submarine discussion &gt; ? &gt; ? </font><br /></font></font>
--------------------------------------------------------

Edited by nancy 2008-07-30 1:57 PM

Roy Ator
Posted 2008-07-30 2:20 PM (#18124 - in reply to #18123)

Great Sage of the Sea

Yes, these are Hyper Text Machine Language (HTML) editing tools. Underneath this reply block, there are four options, the second one is to Disable HTML. And if I recall correctly, in your User Control Panel there are some 'viewing' options as well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software