Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I saw the submariners, the way they stood aloof and silent, watching their pigboat with loving eyes. They are alone in the Navy. I admired the PT boys. And I often wondered how the aviators had the courage to go out day after day and I forgave their boasting. But the submariners! In the entire fleet they stand apart!” -- James Michener
BBS friends
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

steamboat
Posted 2008-07-29 6:38 AM (#18027)
Master and Commander

Subject: BBS friends

I didn't know how to title this post, nor how to quantify the answer I am looking for, so I'll just ask this question:
How many of the regular posters on this board have met each other, either as actual shipmates, attending events such as Torsk Work weekend, Bash at the Ranch, Etc? Personally, I would estimate that I know or have met approximately half of the ships company of this sandbox. Not so many on Ron's board, it seems to attract more youngsters (though I may be wrong on that score).
How about Ya'll?
Steamboat sends

Edited by steamboat 2008-07-29 6:45 AM
crystal
Posted 2008-07-29 7:00 AM (#18028 - in reply to #18027)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: BBS friends

John, I've probably met a bit more than half due to getting out to the annual conventions (except this year - ughh!).  Dan Martini and I have the Submarine Film Fest and usually some presence in the vendors room with our wares from our partnership owned company "Submarine Memorabilia".  With the attendence so low in TX this year, we have opted to wait for San Diego next year.  I know I first met you at the Bash at the Ranch.  Some of these guys I will probably live without ever meeting face to face, they do nothing but pull their "cutsy comments" then hide behind their walls.  At least with people you've met you can tell 'em to stuff it if deserved, some of these idiots always want to sucker punch and run out the door....

BlackBeard
Posted 2008-07-29 8:04 AM (#18029 - in reply to #18027)

Great Sage of the Sea

I was at the Bash at the Ranch, and the memorial for Cowboy, but I didn't really meet very many of you. Don Gentry, Jim Foote (who I had met at Gurnard reunions,) Steve Akatz, Pep, Bill Linne and of course Sue, were all I met. It was nice to add more names to faces on last years cruise, and I hope to do the same next year in San Diego.

BB
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-07-29 8:24 AM (#18030 - in reply to #18027)
COMSUBBBS

I've met quite a few over the years. The last convention I attended was Little Rock. Won't know about going to Ft. Worth until the last minute. Trying to work out some time for Torsk work weekend and one for Cavalla and too San Diego next year.
It's always been good seeing you, John/Steamboat, and as you know the doors are open here all the time and that goes for all the troops also. If you're in the Chasn area give me a shout. Always good to swap out some ole sea stories.
Ain't it strange though how some of the old worn out troops get so sensitive with their feelings and ideas? I can remember back when we use to say, "Can't get to me!" Man, if you could be got to the heat would come on full force. I guess some get so self-centered as they age into the senior years. Rather sad, don't cha think.

Edited by Ralph Luther 2008-07-29 8:24 AM
Runner485
Posted 2008-07-29 8:24 AM (#18031 - in reply to #18027)

COMSUBBBS

I met guys at the 4-5 USSVI anniversaries I attended in Groton.
At the many Torsk Work weekends.
At the USS  ???    in Philly. (Brain phart!) Can't think of the name of the boat.
On the cruise to Alaska.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2008-07-29 8:24 AM (#18032 - in reply to #18027)

Master and Commander

I've met quite a few at the early Torsk work weekends. Ron Martini and I were on the 599 together. Doc Gardner was the relief Doc on the 600G when I was 600B. By the way, Ron's early BBS was a lot of old guys in the beginning. In fact I would credit Ron's BBS with kicking off the Torsk work weekends.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2008-07-29 8:26 AM (#18033 - in reply to #18031)

Master and Commander

USS Becuna Joe. The chicken farm air must be getting to you.
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-07-29 8:52 AM (#18037 - in reply to #18027)

Master and Commander

Well I have had the pleasure and honour to have met around....40-50 of the guys from Ron's, Don's and Ray's BBS's from when I first came to the States back in 2004 to present day. ( Just caught up with one ex BBS'er last week, shame I can't see more, but there will always be another chance )

It sure has been fun, here's to you all!

Blue *_*
Ric
Posted 2008-07-29 9:02 AM (#18038 - in reply to #18029)

Plankowner

We also met at the Bash and talked for about 15 minutes.

I know that anyone at the Bash remembers the 3 Bash Girls though most we did not get to meet personally.

I have attend a number of Torsk and Cavalla work weekends and mixed with and worked with and listened to many of you tell tales and also snore your way though the night just as you have heard mine. (flashbacks of life in the afterbattery).

Some of you I have gotten together with during my time on the road traveling the country with my work at that time. A few of you came through Seattle or Providence when I was employed at the Russian Subs I worked on and we got to meet there.

The conventions are a no-brainer to meet folks but sometimes you meet too many to remember them.

All in all I have probably met maybe 50% of the folks at one time or an other. Happy to have done so and look forward to meeting or reacquainting with many more of you as time goes on.

Ric
Ric
Posted 2008-07-29 9:06 AM (#18039 - in reply to #18037)

Plankowner

A pleasure meeting and hosting you at my place Blue. Your thank you gift I wear on my subvets vest with pride. Though you do talk funny.......
Coyote
Posted 2008-07-29 10:14 AM (#18040 - in reply to #18027)

Master and Commander

I haven't met many of the folks here due to distances, but I've begun with the cruise last fall. I can't make Fort Worth (cancer chemotherapy) but I'll make San Diego for my Holland Club installation.

I also hope to give some docent tours on USS Drum later this year.

I did have the absolute privilege of meeting Blue in Perth/Fremantle. We hope to do that again (and entice him to come to the Florida panhandle).

Regards, Coyote

Edited by Coyote 2008-07-29 8:31 PM
Corabelle
Posted 2008-07-29 10:42 AM (#18041 - in reply to #18027)

COMSUBBBS

Elmer and I met Blue when he did his USA Road Trip in '04. Love that accent.

Then we both met Cowboy, Jim Christley & Ski when we went to the Sterlet Reunion in 2005. This was only a few short months before Cowboy sailed off on his Eternal Patrol.

My brother & I met Ric twice in 2005 - both when he was going to his job on the Juliette, and when he returned on his way back to Seattle. That was the last BBSer that Slim met.

In August of 2007 I met Don Gentry when he fulfilled his promise of a bike ride for me during the Sturgis Rally. Bittersweet, because I really was looking forward to my ride, and sad because Elmer had really wanted to meet Don.

I've not met, but feel I know: Roy Ator, Robin Greer, Patti, Steamboat, Ralph Luther, PEP, Darrin, Flapper, and yes even Dex. Sometimes first impressions can be wrong, eh? I have other un-met friends here, but names escape me at the moment.

You have helped me with my research; filled in the blanks that Elmer didn't have time to fill in. You have sustained me through the loss of my brother, and most have been understanding when I've vented frustrations. You have been my extended family - that's for sure. Thank you for your friendship.

Hey - I'll drink to that!

Cora
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-07-29 11:03 AM (#18043 - in reply to #18027)

Master and Commander

I've met quite a few at conventions (Ron and Dan Martini, John Clear, Ray "Olgoat' Stone to drop a few familiar names) plus John Wynn and Gumba amongst others at Return to Sub School and many others too numerous to name at other boat related activities including my membership in Escolar Base - USSVI.
My wife and I were honored (or is it honoured?) to have Blue as a guest in our home; we even smuggled him into Canada. We visited John Bay in Maine and I've been to Dave Stoops house on numerous occasions to steal his stuff. I hired him to do some training for me so I could get him out of the house and drink his scotch. Tom McNulty and I shared a boat (SSBN 600) and got reacquainted here on the BBS. Don Gentry and I share a common hometown (Detroit) and I'm in training to ride a Harley to the West Coast to meet up with him and John Clear. I hope the "Olgoat" doesn't make an appearance out there because I'm spending all the bail money on the Harley. When Clear and Stone get together only trouble occurs; but it sure is fun.
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-07-29 11:13 AM (#18044 - in reply to #18027)

Master and Commander

When I got my first computer, 1996, I was wandering around the YAHOO chat rooms, and stumbled on one called The Conning Tower, hosted by Jim Steinmetz. He shoo'ed me over to Rontini's just after the Runner and Hogfish raced to Perth. Since then I have attended:
The first Cavalla work weekend in Galveston TX
A bunch of Torsk work weekends in Baltimore
The Reno Convention
The MidWest Bash 98 in Manitowoc Wisconsin
A bunch of Joe Most's Most Coast Bashes in Fort Pierce FL
Cowboy's Bash at the Ranch, Raymond CA
Cowboy's Final Bash, Raymond CA

My problem is that, while I remember the name, and I remember the face, but putting the two together is getting harder, or am I just getting older. I've met most of you here on these forums, but the next time we meet, please forgive me if we have to be re-introduced.
PaulR
Posted 2008-07-29 12:44 PM (#18053 - in reply to #18043)

Master and Commander

Doc Gardner - 2008-07-29 2:03 PMI've met quite a few at conventions (Ron and Dan Martini, John Clear, Ray "Olgoat' Stone to drop a few familiar names) plus John Wynn and Gumba amongst others at Return to Sub School and many others too numerous to name at other boat related activities including my membership in Escolar Base - USSVI.My wife and I were honored (or is it honoured?) to have Blue as a guest in our home; we even smuggled him into Canada. We visited John Bay in Maine and I've been to Dave Stoops house on numerous occasions to steal his stuff. I hired him to do some training for me so I could get him out of the house and drink his scotch. Tom McNulty and I shared a boat (SSBN 600) and got reacquainted here on the BBS. Don Gentry and I share a common hometown (Detroit) and I'm in training to ride a Harley to the West Coast to meet up with him and John Clear. I hope the "Olgoat" doesn't make an appearance out there because I'm spending all the bail money on the Harley. When Clear and Stone get together only trouble occurs; but it sure is fun.

ME...ME....TOO

MAD DOG
Posted 2008-07-29 1:56 PM (#18060 - in reply to #18027)

Master and Commander

A few of you guys rode the "Ustafish" with me.

I'd be proud to buy the rest of you a beer when we end up in the same neck of the woods.
Stoops
Posted 2008-07-29 2:37 PM (#18065 - in reply to #18027)
Master and Commander

Met a lot of you guys....but have more I am looking forward to meeting...hopefully at the FW convention, but if not, hope you will get in touch with all of us if you get down here in the Houston/Galveston area. I do keep a fairly decent selection of adult beverages (except I hide it when that sneaky Doc Gardner comes over!) and if you don't mind a stores unloading party, you are welcome to bunk here and sit at our table! Even offer free Wi-FI, heh heh. I know how hard it is to go without a daily fix of the submarine BBS!

Haven't been able to make a Most Coast Bash, but helped with the first Cavalla event and later the Cavalla Bash. Been to a couple of Torsk workweekends with the Beagle Doc, was at the Bash at the Ranch, and Ric (the ugly slut) and Don (the slut with the horrible hair) are just jealous of my figger! Also, with Pete Coart, met a lot of good folks at the Razorback in North Little Rock.

Gotta warn ya though, if you show up....the Beagle Doc could appear, but if he brings his lovely young bride, it should even out!

Edited by Stoops 2008-07-29 2:37 PM
Darrin
Posted 2008-07-29 4:41 PM (#18067 - in reply to #18027)

Great Sage of the Sea

I have met a number of people because of these bbs's and it rekindled the submarine spirit that I had lost somewhere and it got me involved with trying to save one of our boats. And yes it even got me in contact with shipmates of mine from the Ustafish that don't post anymore due to too much work and not enough free time on their hands anymore.

Hey MadDog do you want to go to the Torsk Work Weekend in Oct??? reason I am asking because I will be making a trip down to Va Beach to pick up a shipmate of mine (ETCS (SS)) who lives in Va Beach and it wouldn't be any problem to pick you up and drop you off.

Darrin
Flapper
Posted 2008-07-29 5:15 PM (#18071 - in reply to #18037)

Master and Commander

Yeah you met many of us, Blue, but you're 'special'. Heh heh, if you must ask what that means ....

Seriously, I haven't met all that many:
- You, on your Big Circuit of the USA
- Ric, Dave Carlson (AKA 'TOC' who hasn't posted in a coon's age, that I'm aware of), and one other guy who's name escapes me ...    all when I visited the Seattle Rusty Russky.
- Ron Martini, over the phone doing sub store biz.

But I hope that changes big-time next year in San Diego, when I attend my first national convention!
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-07-29 7:53 PM (#18075 - in reply to #18071)

Great Sage of the Sea

Flapper - 2008-07-29 5:15 PM
But I hope that changes big-time next year in San Diego, when I attend my first national convention!

oooooo.... a VIRGIN!

BB
MAD DOG
Posted 2008-07-29 8:24 PM (#18077 - in reply to #18027)

Master and Commander

Yo Darrin,Sounds like a winner of an idea.
Keep me informed as to date & time.
I'd love to make the trip.
DOG
SOB490
Posted 2008-07-29 10:36 PM (#18079 - in reply to #18027)

Old Salt

The only way I can play in this game is to cheat - so I browsed thru all of the user listings and came up with 84 names.

But a lot of folks I've actually met in person are either not around the BBSs - like vonZipper and GUMBA and Gunz - or have gone on Eternal Patrol like Luke the Lid and Bob Harrison.

Then I had to stop and think - am I remembering some of these folks from long ago in the early days of Rontini's BBS like Joe the Most, Roger Ramjet and his Dolly, and Roy Ator --- or did we actually meet in person? So I had to re-search and try to put a name to a face and then to a place -- Midwest Bash 98? TORSK? PAMPANITO? Any of the several USSVI Nationals? Visits to Groton Base? County jail in West Bumper Hitch?

OK, so I'll claim 53 for sure. Of those, 6 (and their wives) have stayed with my wife and me while out gadding about the countryside - and we've stayed with them in reciprocal visits. Took my wife a bit of adjusting because she never encountered the old DBF hospitality where you "knew" another sub sailor even though you never laid eyeballs on one another before -- whole new way of life for her -- how about you guys? Similar story?

Hey - I was on the same boat three different times between 56 and 68 so when we have our reunions, I remember names and faces fine but for the life of me I can't put a lot of the old shipmates into the correct tour - plus from my final tour in NAVSHIPS, I rode new 637s on a total of 13 missions as they took the WLR-6 to sea on their first cash calls. Ain't CRS -- I prefer to call the condition "Galloping Senility." Who can remember anything for sure after all of that?
iPOD
Posted 2008-07-30 2:10 AM (#18084 - in reply to #18027)

Master and Commander

I've had the pleasure of meeting Ron Mitchell and his good lady, I also met some other bloke by the name of Luther and I'm still in therapy over that one however he was hanging around with a real good looking Shiela and a charming young lady so I guess he may have some redeeming features.
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-07-30 5:16 AM (#18092 - in reply to #18027)

COMSUBBBS

I have had the honor and pleasure of meeting many of the folks who post here....This bunch of the posters who regularly post here and are not properly bolted to the planet goy me through one of the worst times in my life. I will never forget how indebted to them I am to those wonderful shipmates and then also, I have had far more harpoons hung in my hippockets than any other clown who turns up here. I love this treehouse for the simple reason that Don runs a tight ship and has a way of throwing trouble makers in the crocadile pit. And, he allows us to rome all over the territory as long as we don't intentionally poke our horns into each other with the object of bringing pain and as long as we don't go beyond his well defined barbwire and trample the cardinal rules petunias. I find that this board represents kindred spirits like the lads I served with. DEX
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-07-30 7:52 AM (#18096 - in reply to #18053)

Master and Commander

PaulR - 2008-07-29 1:44 PM

Doc Gardner - 2008-07-29 2:03 PMI've met quite a few at conventions (Ron and Dan Martini, John Clear, Ray "Olgoat' Stone to drop a few familiar names) plus John Wynn and Gumba amongst others at Return to Sub School and many others too numerous to name at other boat related activities including my membership in Escolar Base - USSVI.My wife and I were honored (or is it honoured?) to have Blue as a guest in our home; we even smuggled him into Canada. We visited John Bay in Maine and I've been to Dave Stoops house on numerous occasions to steal his stuff. I hired him to do some training for me so I could get him out of the house and drink his scotch. Tom McNulty and I shared a boat (SSBN 600) and got reacquainted here on the BBS. Don Gentry and I share a common hometown (Detroit) and I'm in training to ride a Harley to the West Coast to meet up with him and John Clear. I hope the "Olgoat" doesn't make an appearance out there because I'm spending all the bail money on the Harley. When Clear and Stone get together only trouble occurs; but it sure is fun.

ME...ME....TOO

Paul:
You're absolutely correct. How could I forget?
Are you still publishing the Patrol Reports from the Sea Robin?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software