Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In World War II the Germans lost 782 submarines, the Japanese lost 130, Great Britan and Commonwealth countries lost 88 subs, Russia lost 110 submarines and the United States lost only 52 submarines. Twenty-three of the Japanese subs lost were victims of the American Submarine Service.
New Uniform
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-08-14 10:04 PM (#18584 - in reply to #18326)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: New Uniform

Task Force Uniform came up with the several options, they did 6-month wear-tests of all the proposed uniforms, then they polled the troops. This is what the troops said they wanted, and Adm Mullin signed off on it.

We'll see how long they last.

The Brat
Posted 2008-08-15 12:24 PM (#18590 - in reply to #18356)

Crew

"Look at Mr. Uniform model....E-4 with five rows of ribbons"

Last time I checked a 1st Class Petty officer was an E6.

"lowering enlistment standards simply to fill its ranks...taking convicted criminals, lads with police records, high school drop-outs, bums, lads wandering around in our ghettos with no purpose or ambition and slow kids like that poor stupid bimbo from West Virginia".

I guess you have not talked to a military recruiter lately. Dex, all those things you mentioned worked during the days of the draft, but are no longer part of today's recruiting standards. In fact, it is MUCH more difficult to enter the military now than ever. If you have a criminal record, you can forget about joining unless you have a Congressperson in your pocket.

I work with Recruiters everyday and am proud to stand up and say that regardless of what "ghetto" you call home, as long as you can read, write, have a high school diploma, no criminal record, are physically fit and can pass the military entrance exam (ASVAB), you just might be allowed to join up. As for the ribbons, don't assume you know what PS1 Williams went through to obtain them. I know the Air Force gives them away, but as for the Navy, you still got to earn every one of them!

Just because you don't like the new uniform and are not currently serving yourself, does not give you the right to make racially degrading comments about the men and women who are serving today. Today's war is nothing like the wars of the past, but war is war and irregardless it's still ugly and these brave young men and women have VOLUNTEERED to carry on the legacy of all freedom fighters who have gone before them by defending your right to make racist comments about them.

Yeah, you're full of patriotism these days aren't you!
Smiley
Posted 2008-08-16 12:33 PM (#18638 - in reply to #18590)
Great Sage of the Sea

The Brat - 2008-08-15 3:24 PM

"Look at Mr. Uniform model....E-4 with five rows of ribbons"

Last time I checked a 1st Class Petty officer was an E6.

"lowering enlistment standards simply to fill its ranks...taking convicted criminals, lads with police records, high school drop-outs, bums, lads wandering around in our ghettos with no purpose or ambition and slow kids like that poor stupid bimbo from West Virginia".

I guess you have not talked to a military recruiter lately. Dex, all those things you mentioned worked during the days of the draft, but are no longer part of today's recruiting standards. In fact, it is MUCH more difficult to enter the military now than ever. If you have a criminal record, you can forget about joining unless you have a Congressperson in your pocket.

I work with Recruiters everyday and am proud to stand up and say that regardless of what "ghetto" you call home, as long as you can read, write, have a high school diploma, no criminal record, are physically fit and can pass the military entrance exam (ASVAB), you just might be allowed to join up. As for the ribbons, don't assume you know what PS1 Williams went through to obtain them. I know the Air Force gives them away, but as for the Navy, you still got to earn every one of them!

Just because you don't like the new uniform and are not currently serving yourself, does not give you the right to make racially degrading comments about the men and women who are serving today. Today's war is nothing like the wars of the past, but war is war and irregardless it's still ugly and these brave young men and women have VOLUNTEERED to carry on the legacy of all freedom fighters who have gone before them by defending your right to make racist comments about them.

Yeah, you're full of patriotism these days aren't you!

Nice post Brat.. I no longer feel so all alone in my defence of todays servicemen and woman..You are a fine example of the high quality and educated well rounded people that we have in today's military. It's a shame that anyone in a veteran's forum such as this one would have to even venture into a subject like defending our troops from slanderous posts..
I see you prove again that "the apple dosn't fall far from the tree."

BTW to set the record straight yes "The proof is in the pudding".. Are you guys all happy now? geeze. Give a guy with fat fingers a break..
Ric
Posted 2008-08-16 4:38 PM (#18649 - in reply to #18326)

Plankowner

Well, just for the record the Navy Band out of Bremerton played at today's Tolling Of The Boats in Kirkland, Wa. dressed in Tropical Whites and looked wonderful. I tried to picture them in the new uniform and it wouldn't have had the same impact and the general public would not have even known they were sailors and Navy. Good to see them and hear them. Always a treat!!!
adams
Posted 2008-08-16 6:21 PM (#18656 - in reply to #18326)
Mess cooking

I'm new here. I learned early on in my career in the navy that there are two places where it is wise to observe in silence, listen, and learn, get a feel for the place, the people, and find the best way to fit in and contribute, be accepted. One being a new bar in a new town, especially where a pool table is involved, and the other a new duty station. So, I'm going to call this a quick study because something just struck me wrong here. With every generation there is going to be change. After 30 years of service, I retired with great reluctance, leaving finger nail marks on the deck as I was shown the door. I was given an awesome send off still, dressed ship, a navy band, family and friends in attendance. And most notably of all, a gathering of young sailors standing tall in my honor. Trust me, the pride and the honor I felt on that occassion, in my heart and in my mind, was for them, my emotion, my role was one of appreciation.

I was 17 and a half years old when I enlisted. My primary motivation was the cracker jack uniform. To me, to this day, the greatest piece of art of all time is the 'Heritage' recruiting poster. And the sea.

I was given the opportunity to address my shipmates, family and friends and, again, those young sailors. I want to recall one portion of my remarks; I told them to change what they must, but retain where possible the traditions that came before.

These same young people, now some 18 years later, are leading an even newer generation onto foriegn soil, into IED's, suicide bombers, who include women and children, and an enemy of individuals. No uniforms to tell the bad guys. They face a whole new challenge, nothing that we could have imagined possible in the modern world, as we knew it. And with all our technology, resources, and power, they still often find themselves alone in the desert to die or survive of their own ability and perserverance.

So, I come on this site and find these same brave sons and daughters of our country vilified, denigrated and scorned because of a uniform change or some other perceived insult to tradition.

Someone on here advised us to not take this so serious, so personal. Well, it is. My son is an EOD CPO currently serving in Iraq.

You have no idea what thoughts I have in mind that I would gleefully impart. There are a few on this board I'd love to take on toe to toe, but I won't. I will end with this; once our fighting men and women are deployed and engaged it's time to shut up and give them our total, unreserved, support.

Just for clarification, when I put on the anchors of a CPO, one thing did change in my thinking. When I entered a new goat locker, I wasn't a new guy.
610ET
Posted 2008-08-16 6:45 PM (#18657 - in reply to #18326)

Old Salt

Welcome aboard "Not a New Guy).

Don't mind Dex. He used to write some good yarns but it all fell apart and now he is just a bitter old...whatever. He loves to hear himself write and never uses one word when three will fit. If you wade through his BS you will see the same themes year after year. I think at this point he just cuts and pastes his old BS. He is pretty predictable and loves mentioning Arleigh Burke complete with nickname, Chesty Puller, etc. Point is, he was just an underachieving career E-3 who spent his time hiding from the COB, at least that is what he says in his stories.

So don't worry about him. He is an army of one where it concerns what the real new guys/gals "out there" are doing these days. Believe me, the vast vast majority here get it and appreciate the caliber of people serving today.

Anyway, this post is now three pages and we still don't know the cover for the new U is. Anybody know?

adams
Posted 2008-08-16 9:18 PM (#18660 - in reply to #18326)
Mess cooking

I hate to shatter anyone's concept.... ok, ok, that's a lie, I'm really ok with it in the interest of truth. This in no way impunes the reputation nor my own prersonal respect for Admiral Burke. However, the moniker of '31 Knot Burke' was not a compliment. It was a reference to an operation in the Pacific war where his task force was unable to keep up with the rest of the attacking force. I don't recall the exact details but I believe the rest of the force was maintaining 34 knots and Burke's force was limited to 31, his fellow flag officers, likely in jest, assigned him that title. The important thing to remember about Burke is that he was instrumental in bringing about victory in the Pacific, at least in my mind.
adams
Posted 2008-08-16 9:38 PM (#18662 - in reply to #18326)
Mess cooking

Damn, I missed the last part of your post 610ET, about the cover for the new utility uniform. Probably not a dixie cup, but I'm on dial-up, living in the boonies in Arkansas with no cable, so it would take a lot of time and effort to research, neither of which I have in excess. But what an excellent question!
The Brat
Posted 2008-08-17 5:26 AM (#18670 - in reply to #18657)

Crew

610ET - 2008-08-16 8:45 PM

Anyway, this post is now three pages and we still don't know the cover for the new U is. Anybody know?

It is the same garrison cap that is worn with the working blues. I think some of you older guys know it as a "piss cover"
Palm Bay Ken
Posted 2008-08-17 5:50 AM (#18673 - in reply to #18670)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: ---

Edited by Palm Bay Ken 2008-08-17 8:07 AM
Palm Bay Ken
Posted 2008-08-17 5:52 AM (#18675 - in reply to #18670)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: \

Edited by Palm Bay Ken 2008-08-17 8:07 AM
Palm Bay Ken
Posted 2008-08-17 5:53 AM (#18676 - in reply to #18670)

Great Sage of the Sea

It is the same garrison cap that is worn with the working blues. I think some of you older guys know it as a "piss cover"

I remember it as a "piss cutter." (not picking nits, and the memory will be 71 years young next week)
Ric
Posted 2008-08-17 7:40 AM (#18682 - in reply to #18676)

Plankowner

Damn, Ken, didn't know you felt so strongly about this............once was enough.....................................:~
rjs2005
Posted 2008-08-18 5:34 AM (#18724 - in reply to #18649)

Old Salt

Ric - 2008-08-16 7:38 PM

Well, just for the record the Navy Band out of Bremerton played at today's Tolling Of The Boats in Kirkland, Wa. dressed in Tropical Whites and looked wonderful. I tried to picture them in the new uniform and it wouldn't have had the same impact and the general public would not have even known they were sailors and Navy. Good to see them and hear them. Always a treat!!!

Yes, the "summer" whites (tropical whites are actually white shorts, white shirt, black knee length socks (white for CPOs/officers) and black shoes (again, white for CPOs/officers) IS a sharp looking uniform. It, however, is designed as a "working" uniform-- ie, office work, standing watch, classroom, etc. Usually, after a day of such work, it tends to look rather shabby. I remember wearing this uniform nearly every day for 3 years as a recruit company commander in Orlando. I would typically go through 3 a day, due to it's phenomenal ability to attract and retain any and all dirt in the area. The problem is primarily the trousers around the pocket area and at the bottom of the trouser leg (shoe polish). Something easier to maintain looking professional is warranted, and the side benefit is a reduction in articles required in the sea bag. I would have rather seen the blue-grey shirt and black trousers, but I still maintain this is a damn sight better than the current offerings, even though the summer white is a nice looking uniform.

--Besides, wouldn't the Navy Band looked just as sharp in a set of white jumpers?
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software