Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I can assure you that they went down fighting and that their brothers who survived them took a grim toll of our savage enemy to avenge their deaths." Admiral Charles Lockwood
New Uniform
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Curt
Posted 2008-08-08 4:33 AM (#18326)

Old Salt

Subject: New Uniform

Looks Great: http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=62269

Keg
Posted 2008-08-08 5:16 AM (#18327 - in reply to #18326)
Mess cooking

Subject: RE: New Uniform

Great ...if you want to look like a Marine......
rjs2005
Posted 2008-08-08 5:34 AM (#18328 - in reply to #18326)

Old Salt

Yes, and I'm sure there were plenty of gripers when Zumwalt made all of his uniform changes. Change was inevitable, it's certainly better than summer whites. You can't even put your keys in the pockets without trashing their appearance. I for one welcome sharper uniforms. The BDU's, however, aren't necessary and look terrible.
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-08-08 6:25 AM (#18329 - in reply to #18326)

COMSUBBBS

All I can say is, I am glad I had the honor of serving when I did, with the men I was proud to serve with. I have absolutely nothing in common with today's force.....feel that my Navy, its' tradition, continuity and history have been trashed by folks who profit by senseless change that requires the massive expenditure that attends a complete uniform change. What's next? Madison Avenue fashion designers putting bluejackets in blue beanies like the Army and Air Force?..They've already got Marines running around off base in baggy gray pajama looking outfits. The term "Cammies" sounds feminine. "Billy's wearing his Jammie Cammies and Peter is in his Nookie-Poo Poopie suit" When did men start talking like three year olds? Marines looking unkempt and sloppy...whoever thought they would live to see that day. If Chesty Puller, Smedly Butler, "Howlin' Mad" Smith, Krulack, and all the rest of the WWII combat commanders saw what the fashion folks have done to their beloved Corps, they would collectively shoot their lunch. Hey , That uniform is exactly appropriate to be given to lads their country had to pay an initial enlistment bonus to entice them to do their patriotic duty...up to $40,000. It's nice to know that the uniform the present Naval personnel will be running around in will distinguish them from those of us who joined to simply have the honor of wearing the SAME UNIFORM that the men wore when we "unconditionally" whipped Germany, Japan and Italy....the same uniform rotting in the sidelockers of our fellow boatsailors resting on the floor of the Pacific....Sometimes change and progress are not good things...This jarhead looking outfit represents such a time...I only hope and pray that this new symbol of out Navy does not end up as a loser symbol. Frankly, looking at the damn thing and recognizing the level of trashed history and proud tradition it has cost us, I feel sick.....I think the WAL-MART door greeters outfits look sharper. An earlier poster, mentioned Zumwalt....You know why the change was reversed? Men serving in the United States Navy, unlike the silent don't give a damn lads of today RAISED SO MUCH HELL the twinkle toed fashion change sweeties in the Navy Dept had to deep six the whole idea. You see, new guy...there was a time when men valued tradition and continuity and were very proud to earn the right to wear the same uniform worn by their grandfather, father and brother in service to country....Hey you pay some worthless sonuvabitch enough money to sign up and he'll let you dress him in a pink tu-tu and patent leather pumps. In a day and age where some clown has to go before Congress and explain to the American public that we are winning...sorta...by various determinations made by political dipsticks and international rectal thermometers, such a uniform change is appropriate....Nobody had to use tea leaves and a weegie board to determine winning and losing to the guys decked out in 13 button blues. When present day leadership surgically seperated the Navy from the Marine Corps and gave us the guy the Marines call "Peach Fuzz" Pace as the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, I never thought that the Corps would start leading the CNO around by his willie....It's sad to be so wrong. It has now become impossible to connect my service with the Navy of today...that is the saddest part of it all. DEX
steamboat
Posted 2008-08-08 6:26 AM (#18330 - in reply to #18328)
Master and Commander

Dose this replace Dress uniforms, or is it the old "undress" uniform that us old pharts wore?
If it does, then USN will stand apart from all Navies of the world in wearing whites and blues.
Now you can take that any way you want to.
As I recall, didn't Zummie's uniform changes all get recinded?
Steamboat sends
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-08-08 6:32 AM (#18331 - in reply to #18326)

COMSUBBBS

Get that...an American fighting man whining about the difficulty of keeping his whites clean...Jeezus, How in the world did the men who handed him their traditions, history and love of the uniform they wore, do it? Carbon Tet out of a barracks fire extinguiher, a broken stick of white chalk in your watch pocket...Has that knowledge also gone by the board? DEX
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-08 7:55 AM (#18332 - in reply to #18326)
COMSUBBBS

I'm glad I served when I did, also '61-'69. I liked the uniforms then that all the Armed Forces had. Today, these so called BDU's look like the troops just fell out of a s**tcan. Here in Charleston we see mostly Air Force people these days. Military people running around town in BDU's/cammies looks like a bunch of sleepwalkers. I was at the Charleston Mun. Airport a while back and there stood a USA Major, traveling, in BDU's. His "uniform" looked like crap. Maybe he did just get back from Iraq and stepped across the field from the USAF Base. You can't tell me that there wasn't a place to change clothes and make himself presentable. Where is the pride of being an Officer? Where is the pride of setting a good example? Where is the desire to make the "chicks" want to jump your bones? Little kids look up and see some dufus wearing his laundry bag.
Back to Curt's post-- I think the uniform looks good. If a change needs to be made, this looks good. Must admit that it looks 1,000% better than that stuff Zumwalt put out.
610ET
Posted 2008-08-08 9:07 AM (#18333 - in reply to #18326)

Old Salt

Curt - 2008-08-08 7:33 AM

Looks Great: http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=62269

Article says this is a year round uniform. Will there be a long sleeve shirt for winter? What does the "cover" look like? Thanks.
Ric
Posted 2008-08-08 9:32 AM (#18334 - in reply to #18330)

Plankowner

The Zumwalt uniform changes were the reason I didn't reenlist in 1970.
I'm sorry guys, I joined the navy because I liked looking like a sailor not doorman at a hotel. I'm pretty disappointed in the navy for wasting all this money when nothing was broke. Too many people sitting in offices when they should be at sea!
I love the Cracker Jack look. Glad I was in when I was.
Larry Smith
Posted 2008-08-08 4:49 PM (#18346 - in reply to #18333)

Senior Crew

Threaded
Flapper
Posted 2008-08-08 5:41 PM (#18347 - in reply to #18346)

Master and Commander

Larry Smith - 2008-08-08 5:49 PMThreaded

Threaded?? Are we missing a link, Larry?
Corabelle
Posted 2008-08-08 6:00 PM (#18348 - in reply to #18326)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: It's a good-looking uniform for someone in the Army or the Marines!

Whose brilliant idea was this, anyway!

The unique-ness of the Naval uniform was that it could not be mistaken for any other service. Besides which, all Naval personnel, no matter which country (friend or foe) had similar looking uniforms which, again, told the world that they were sailors.

I, too, am glad that my brother was in the Navy when his uniform proudly told the world that he WAS a sailor - not a soldier or marine. Nothing wrong with those other services, but he wanted to be in the Navy. And he wanted the world to know that he was in the Navy.

What distinguishes this uniform from any of the other military branches? Or, was the idea being that all military personnel should look alike?

Dumb idea!

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-08-09 10:56 AM
RCK
Posted 2008-08-08 6:31 PM (#18349 - in reply to #18326)
Master and Commander

Please forgive my projectile vomiting but if that is what sailors are going to wear then they better damn well have a razor sharp crease in those pants!!!!!
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-08-08 10:34 PM (#18352 - in reply to #18330)

Great Sage of the Sea

steamboat - 2008-08-08 4:26 AM

Dose this replace Dress uniforms, or is it the old "undress" uniform that us old pharts wore?
If it does, then USN will stand apart from all Navies of the world in wearing whites and blues.
Now you can take that any way you want to.
As I recall, didn't Zummie's uniform changes all get recinded?
Steamboat sends

NO, the Dress Uniforms remain, although there is talk of an "upgrade" to the Dress White Jumper, to add BLUE piping on the cuffs and the back flap.

Zumwalt's uniforms were scrapped and replaced by the current jumper-style dress uniforms, but it was almost 10 years we suffered with the suits and CPO hats. Even on the LA and Trident boats, those suits took up a lot of storage space. You could NOT store them in a bed-pan or side locker.

I ws sooooo glad to change back to jumpers in 1983.

BlackBeard
Posted 2008-08-08 11:12 PM (#18353 - in reply to #18326)

Great Sage of the Sea

Coming back from Boston this last week we layed-over in DFW. I saw two USAF O-6, and three O-5's all wearing their cammies on our flight from DFW to Ontario California. I think they just all want to look like they just came off a mission. In fact I wouldn't doubt that the services are telling them to wear them when flying because they will always be the first chosen for upgrades or have drinks bought for them. I guess that ain't too bad considering when I was in we were often told to NOT wear our uniform off-base because it would attract negative attention. I just can't get used to it not being the daily 'working' uniform rather than their version of utilities.

BB
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-08-09 5:18 AM (#18355 - in reply to #18326)

COMSUBBBS

Oh My God....What's going to happen to the kid on the CrackerJack box? Surely they won't put that kid in that crappy looking outfit....If they do, do you think they'll make him swap that All American looking mutt for some gahdam poodle? How bout a Ronald McDonald costume for the CNO and painting our warhips ia a gentle series of compatible pastels.....and teach our honor guards to juggle and do magic tricks to relieve boredom at cemetary ceremonies? "Hey, Dex change represents progress...Things change....everything changes for the better." Everything changes? How bout the guards at Buckingham Palace?....Monumental structures in Egypt and who's replaced Jesus as God's son in your Bible? DEX
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-08-09 5:38 AM (#18356 - in reply to #18326)

COMSUBBBS

Look at Mr. Uniform model....E-4 with five rows of ribbons...beating out Nicaraguan deck force personnel and Peruian Field Marshals....With the exception of the Navy Good Conduct ribbon any man who crawled the beach at Iwo, waded ashyore at Omaha Beach, flew 25 missions over Nazi Germany, fought at the Battle of the Phillipine Sea wouldn't recognize ANY of them...Why? Because part of the current recruiting gimmicks is giving undeserving lads who never have or will see actual combat repeated opportunities to participate in frequent "meaningless ribbon bucket dips" thus demeaning the hard earned ribbons, medals and awards eared at great personal risk. When a man can recieve a decroration for excellence in machine records accuracy, there's something wrong with the standard of awards. One of the indicators of a society in decline is public acceptance of lowered standards...making a mockery of its' military decorations. lowering enlistment standards simply to fill its ranks...taking convicted criminals, lads with police records, high school drop-outs, bums, lads wandering around in our ghettos with no purpose or ambition and slow kids like that poor stupid bimbo from West Virginia the Ingram girl of Abu Grabe fame. Yessir, It's a different force than the one we served in....and I've lived to damn long. DEX
Larry Smith
Posted 2008-08-09 12:43 PM (#18367 - in reply to #18347)

Senior Crew

Flapper - 2008-08-08 3:41 PM Threaded?? Are we missing a link, Larry?

Well Flapper, I wasn't going to say anything, but, . . .

OK, threaded, as in screw-on, as in ooh-rah.  Got it?
Lord, I hate explaining these things.
steamboat
Posted 2008-08-09 3:55 PM (#18370 - in reply to #18326)
Master and Commander

I reckon I been out too long and missed something over the years. Back in 1960 they told me at Great Lakes that the Marine Corps was a branch of the USN. When did that flip-flop?
Steamboat sends
rjs2005
Posted 2008-08-09 6:32 PM (#18380 - in reply to #18326)

Old Salt

Ok, congratulations, I believe I've waited long enough for the "you damn kids get out of my yard" crowd to interject your opinions long enough. Let's see if I got this correct: Things were so much better in your day. Sailors today couldn't hack it in my Navy. I hate change. Things should never change because I said so. Nothing should ever get better since I didn't have it better. Did I miss anything?

Lets examine a few things said here. "Change is good." Dex, you mentioned the guards at Buckingham Palace. Frankly, I could give a good damn about the guards at Buckingham palace, since they are largely CEREMONIAL only. I care about sailors. If the opportunity to make uniforms a little easier to maintain, I'm all for taking it. "Who is God's son in your Bible?" How far into left field did you have to reach to make THAT analogy? That has about as much relevance to uniform changes as Peanut Butter has to setting the timing on a '65 Chevy. It's just as absurd. Of course, I'm not at all surprised since your analogies are usually off the deep end anyway.

In case you so called "keepers of tradition" haven't researched, the dress uniforms aren't changing. Service Dress Blue and White Jumpers will still exist, and yes, sailors will look like sailors. These are what your generation would call "undress uniforms." So allay your fears, tradition still has a place in today's Navy.

I'm going to close now with one final thought. Threads like this are the VERY REASON I HAVE CHOSEN NOT TO JOIN USSVI. The bases I have visited are FULL of rigid, unwelcoming, resistant to change jerks just like this. USSVI will, in my opinion, die because today's Submarine Sailor has NO interest in being constantly berated and treated like a second class citizen. Go ahead. Tell me I can't take it. I've got plenty of time on the pond, what with my 26 years of service on 5 different boats (yes Dex, all nukes-- you couldn't hack one of them anyway).

Every single time I try to join a conversation in this board, this is the kind of crap I have to endure. Well, no more. I'm done. At least I can go to the local VFW and be treated like the comrade in arms I am. I hope I have ruffled enough feathers that each and every one of you will THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE!!! (By the way Dex, it's called a PARAGRAPH-- learn how to use them. Your posts are unreadable).

Goodbye. I wish each of you a long and happy life and many opportunities to complain when things change.

Chuck Brunson
EMCS(SS), USN (Ret) 1980-2006.
EX-member of this board.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-09 7:26 PM (#18382 - in reply to #18326)
COMSUBBBS

Can't get to me, me, me!!!!!!!!! Come on Senior Chief suck it up and quit wineing some others around here. However, if you can't take the pressure, I guess, the best thing is to go in your corner and pout. See ya, Shipmate.
mike652
Posted 2008-08-09 8:21 PM (#18388 - in reply to #18326)
Great Sage of the Sea

I love how some people credit Zumwalt for their decision to get out. I especially love it when it turns out it was before Zumwalt became CNO or before the uniform changes were in effect.
We made an almost switch to a new working uniform starting in 1973. There were so many problems with the new uniform that it was discontinued with full return to dungarees. The dress uniform changeover started in 1974 with full implementation by the end of ’75. Then the Navy went back, announcing the change in ’81, about the same time I found out I had made Chief.
A lot of us had to remember how to roll and tie the neckerchiefs so we could teach the "youngsters".
610ET
Posted 2008-08-09 8:48 PM (#18390 - in reply to #18388)

Old Salt

mike652 - 2008-08-09 11:21 PM

I love how some people credit Zumwalt for their decision to get out. I especially love it when it turns out it was before Zumwalt became CNO or before the uniform changes were in effect.
We made an almost switch to a new working uniform starting in 1973. There were so many problems with the new uniform that it was discontinued with full return to dungarees. The dress uniform changeover started in 1974 with full implementation by the end of ’75. Then the Navy went back, announcing the change in ’81, about the same time I found out I had made Chief.
A lot of us had to remember how to roll and tie the neckerchiefs so we could teach the "youngsters".

Mike, We had the new working uniforms in 1972. I got out in September 1972 ( Nothing to with ADM. Z! I liked what he was doing ). We were wearing them then. I was an IT at Sub School then so maybe we wore them before the boats did?
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-08-09 9:59 PM (#18392 - in reply to #18326)

COMSUBBBS

I don't have any idea who came up with the initial idea to change the raghat uniform...but I damn well know who stopped the change. We, the bluejackets of long ago, credit Admiral Arliegh Burke...aka 31 Knot Burke, and ALL HANDS magazine, an official Navy publication back then. ALL HANDS published a number of letters from REAL SAILORS that explained to those Johnny-Come-Lately wet behind the ears types, why they loved their unique, big legged britches and low-neck dress uniforms. Arliegh Burke, wrote a wonderful piece in opposition to the proposed change. Stated simply, Admiral Burke said that the American enlisted uniform was a universal symbol throughout the world that represented decency, courage and liberation. Come to think of it, given the recent behavior of our military's involvement and complicity in torture, non-compliance with the tenants of the Geneva Convention, lying through our teeth to our Allies...It's a good time to change the uniform so ours remains the symbol Arliegh Burke saw it to be....Good point...Change it before the uniform we wore gets soiled and sullied by downline conduct. Next. Steamboat...Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld saw fit to seperate the Marine Corps from the Navy and make it a seperate service altogether. Then they elevated the Commandant to four star rank, thus enabling them to put Gen Peter Pace in as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, effectively subordinating the CNO to his former subordinate....That's why a lot of Navy Bases are guarded by sloppy contract rent-a-cops....At the same time, they took the snappy Presidents Own Third Infantry Sentries off the gates at the entrance to Arlington National Cemetery and replaced them with fat slobs in sloppy unpressed uniforms who go around with their shirttails hanging out aqnd sporting pop cans in their pockets.....And you see Soldiers, Airmen and Marines attending funerals in those pajama looking BDU outfits. When I served, you were required by Naval District of Washington to wear full dress canvas with ribbons when entering the Cemetery and and the other services were required to do the same. You guys who are all for these changes have sold your birthright, heritage and tradition for a wheelbarrow load of steaming horse manure...and in my estimation, you will regret the degeneration of your history and legacy we handed you unblemished. Yessir Chief, I'm damn glad I never served under you. Any man who can't see the difference between "whining" and the pain of men who were proud of the uniform worn by countless generations of brave and victorious sailors and hate to see it trashed...has one helluva lot to learn about pride and leadership. You owe us an apology for use of the word "whiners", but probably aren't man enough to see it. DEX
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-08-09 10:10 PM (#18393 - in reply to #18326)

COMSUBBBS

Chucky Cheese said it all when he said, he wasn't a member of USSVI..."Dex you couldn't hack it on a nuke." I never met the sonuvabitch...He must be a long range palm reader who would look really sweet in that new uniform....Yesw, They were all nukes...so what, does that make you better than the men who brought you victory in WWII? Any nukes get Medals of Honor? Hey Chuckie you're good for a laugh...that's about the extent of your relavance. Do us a favor...Stay out of USSVI...For that THANKS. I love the outfit...best organization found in any branch of military service....DEX
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software