Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Beeman Center at Sub Base Pearl Harbor was named for Arthur C Beeman, PhMC aboard the USS AMBERJACK (SS-219) on 4-Feb-43 - He was killed while the sub was engaged in a in gun action with a Japanese ammo ship..
New Uniform
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

mike652
Posted 2008-08-09 11:55 PM (#18394 - in reply to #18390)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: New Uniform

Chris - I might be off by a year, but I do not remember anyone wearing the light blue pull-over shirt and dark blue trousers until ’73. I got two sets about the time I got married, which was May ‘73. Hated them and used the trousers for tug-o-war with my St. Bernard.
RCK
Posted 2008-08-10 10:24 AM (#18404 - in reply to #18326)
Master and Commander

Why have any traditions at all. Lets change everything at the whim of anybody. Uniform of the day....loin cloths and sandels!!!! And while we are at it we need to change the flag.... how about naked women performing perverted sex acts and shootin up dope!!!!
Ric
Posted 2008-08-10 11:14 AM (#18405 - in reply to #18404)

Plankowner

Sign me up.....oh....the perverted sex acts are on the flag... damn..!!!!!!
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-08-10 10:14 PM (#18415 - in reply to #18388)

Great Sage of the Sea

I was issued the polyester utilities and the Coat&Tie blues in Boot Camp at San Diego in July 1973. We were the first or second division to get them. We had guys set back into our company who had Jumpers and Dungarees.

The pull-over utilities were cancelled because the material was a fire-hazard - get it too hot in the engineroom or a fire-fighting situation and it melted then burned like napalm - the wearer could become a human torch. I trashed mine and bought Dungarees at the prototype in Idaho in the winter of 1974-75.

It was 1984 when I had to buy Jumper-style Dress Uniforms. I was teaching IC and EM "C" Schools at San Diego. About the same time the PCO and PXO of USS Tennessee pissed off the CNO Adm. Watkins by showing up to the Commissioning Ceremony with 2 weeks growth of scraggly beard, so we all had to shave.

rjs2005
Posted 2008-08-11 5:43 AM (#18420 - in reply to #18326)

Old Salt

Ok, I'm back with my hat in hand. I've had some time to ponder my most recent thread and have come to the conclusion that my tone was completely out of line. I offer no excuses, other than to say I am fiercely protective of today's sailor. After 2 years of retirement and working in private industry, I've come to discover just how much I miss working with true shipmates.

I had no right to categorize the persons who responded here as whiners or refer to you as "the you damn kids get off my yard" crowd. By all accounts, each of you served our country with pride and honor, and as such have earned the right to question how our Navy is being managed. As a Chief, I should have and do know better, I chose not to respect that. For that slight, I offer my sincere apology.

I still disagree with those of you who insist that the uniform change is somehow stomping on the Navy's rich heritage, however. I remind you that the service and full dress uniforms will not change.

Consider the uniforms that are changing. For enlisted E1-E6, the summer whites and winter working blues (black shirt, black pants, and a black tie) are being replaced with a khaki shirt and black pants. This is NOT the Marines uniform, it is simply a reuse of Navy items we already have. The uniform will be worn year round. I remember when I joined, we had a uniform that was the "undress" uniform of choice.. Salt and Peppers.. white shirt and black trousers. It was serviceable and easier to maintain. In the Navy's infinite wisdom, that uniform went away in (I believe) 1986. We were left with summer whites and the aforementioned winter blues (Black Barts, Johnny Cash, whatever you chose to call them). Hell, when I was a Navy recruiter, I wasn't even allowed to wear that uniform in inner city Birmingham, for fear that I might be mistaken for a police officer and subsequently shot. The summer whites almost always got trashed before you got through the gate in the morning by:
1. The morning coffee
2. Change or keys in your pocket rubbing against something and leaving a black mark
3. The Kapok life vest/AILUP/duty belt the topside sentry was required to wear over his whites on weekends. (Of course, this will get no better when the sailor has to wear Service Dress Whites, they'll just have to learn).
Add to all this that these uniforms are NOT uniforms that make people think SAILOR, and I see no reason why this change doesn't make sense. Perhaps I'm wrong. If I am, I refer you to the Rules of the Chief number one. (The Chief is always right).

I am 100% completely with all of you in preserving the heritage of the Naval Service. I also wholeheartedly support the remembrance of our fallen shipmates and perpetuating their memory, which I know is the stated goal of USSVI. I remember the first time I encountered some of the heroes of WWII boats. I was a young First Class serving as a Recruit Company Commander in Orlando, FL. My young bride called me in tears, to tell me that she had just been in an accident and her car was a mess. I rushed home to check on her, and found her by the car talking to an elderly gentleman who had loaned her the phone, gave her a cup of coffee to calm her nerves, and was playing with my young son. He saw me in my white jumper with red rope and dolphins, and motioned for me to go into his house to get a cup of coffee. As I entered his home, I noticed a wooden set of dolphins over his fireplace. I asked him about the dolphins, and he informed me that he was a WWII subvet (Sorry, I don't remember which boat). We talked for a while and he asked me if I knew how many boats were lost in WWII. I told him I did not know. His face changed, and he stuck out a bony little finger and jabbed it in my chest and said these words to me: "How the hell can you know where you're going if you don't know where you've been?" You earned those fish on the backs of those men on eternal patrol, you owe it to them to honor their service by remembering!" I took that to heart.

Later in my career, I had the great honor to serve on USS NARWHAL (SSN 671). We had a terrific relationship with veterans of SS-167 NARWHAL, and I was honored to be in their presence. My spouse and I spent many hours in hotel hospitality rooms listening to (and in the case of my spouse, taking notes) stories of her rescue missions to the Phillipines to return refugees. Never in my life have I met finer men. I also learned about US Sub Vets, WWII and USSVI. I became very interested in joining USSVI. Allow me to explain why I have altered my position on that.

I have attended meetings in 3 different locations I have been stationed at, and each time I attended, I was summarily ignored by the members in attendance. I tried to introduce myself and was barely acknowledged, and not invited once into any conversations. Recently, I tried to find the nearest base to myself where I live now, and called a member. I asked for simple directions so that I may attend a meeting and was basically told "you have a map, don't you?" I'm a little dense, but that sure seems like an indicator that I'm not welcome. I would really like to be proven wrong on this. I truly miss the fellowship with brothers of the 'phin.

On a closing note, I would like to particularly apologize to Mr. Armstrong. I called you out in my post, probably because you were the most vocal. I understand your pride in smoke boats and understand that I feel similar about the boats I served on. I am proud of each one of them. I still refer to my E-Division on MARYLAND as "The Best Damn E-Div on the Waterfront", only because they were. I actually read one of your writings at my retirement ceremony, about Submarine Chiefs. I strived to be a Chief like that (to a certain degree). Too often in this day Chiefs are so preoccupied with making Senior Chief or Master Chief that they forget how they got there in the first place. I always lived by the creed "Sailors First, Sailors Always." I forgot that when I posted to you and the rest here, and I will not forget that again. I'm pretty sure I would have liked having you work for me, you seem like the kind of sailor I always tried to develop in my squids. No BS, work hard, play hard, never wavering, get the job done.

Thanks for the verbal bonk on the head. I needed it.

Chuck Brunson
EMCS(SS), Ret
SSBN 630G, SSN 676, 671, 712, SSBN 738G
PaulR
Posted 2008-08-11 6:26 AM (#18421 - in reply to #18420)

Master and Commander

You did good Senior Chief.

Now everyone play nice and stop taking each other seriously!
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-11 6:28 AM (#18422 - in reply to #18326)
COMSUBBBS

Apology accepted here, Chuck.
I'm sure you have been around the block enough times to know that there are a**holes in every group. You can't judge a group by one rotten apple contrary to the popular belief that one spoils the whole bunch. It takes some effort on the individuals part to get into the swing of things at the meetings and functions. We are grown men and can climb up on the horse without assistance. Waiting for someone to come a long and offer a boost up into the saddle probably won't happen. You have to climb aboard yourself and the ride up and into the group. Once into that group introduce yourself and start shoveling the BS with the others.
Give it a try again and don't forget to bring your shovel.
Smiley
Posted 2008-08-11 1:40 PM (#18436 - in reply to #18420)
Great Sage of the Sea

rjs2005 - 2008-08-11 8:43 AM

Ok, I'm back with my hat in hand. I've had some time to ponder my most recent thread and have come to the conclusion that my tone was completely out of line. I offer no excuses, other than to say I am fiercely protective of today's sailor. After 2 years of retirement and working in private industry, I've come to discover just how much I miss working with true shipmates.

I had no right to categorize the persons who responded here as whiners or refer to you as "the you damn kids get off my yard" crowd. By all accounts, each of you served our country with pride and honor, and as such have earned the right to question how our Navy is being managed. As a Chief, I should have and do know better, I chose not to respect that. For that slight, I offer my sincere apology.

I still disagree with those of you who insist that the uniform change is somehow stomping on the Navy's rich heritage, however. I remind you that the service and full dress uniforms will not change.

Consider the uniforms that are changing. For enlisted E1-E6, the summer whites and winter working blues (black shirt, black pants, and a black tie) are being replaced with a khaki shirt and black pants. This is NOT the Marines uniform, it is simply a reuse of Navy items we already have. The uniform will be worn year round. I remember when I joined, we had a uniform that was the "undress" uniform of choice.. Salt and Peppers.. white shirt and black trousers. It was serviceable and easier to maintain. In the Navy's infinite wisdom, that uniform went away in (I believe) 1986. We were left with summer whites and the aforementioned winter blues (Black Barts, Johnny Cash, whatever you chose to call them). Hell, when I was a Navy recruiter, I wasn't even allowed to wear that uniform in inner city Birmingham, for fear that I might be mistaken for a police officer and subsequently shot. The summer whites almost always got trashed before you got through the gate in the morning by:
1. The morning coffee
2. Change or keys in your pocket rubbing against something and leaving a black mark
3. The Kapok life vest/AILUP/duty belt the topside sentry was required to wear over his whites on weekends. (Of course, this will get no better when the sailor has to wear Service Dress Whites, they'll just have to learn).
Add to all this that these uniforms are NOT uniforms that make people think SAILOR, and I see no reason why this change doesn't make sense. Perhaps I'm wrong. If I am, I refer you to the Rules of the Chief number one. (The Chief is always right).

I am 100% completely with all of you in preserving the heritage of the Naval Service. I also wholeheartedly support the remembrance of our fallen shipmates and perpetuating their memory, which I know is the stated goal of USSVI. I remember the first time I encountered some of the heroes of WWII boats. I was a young First Class serving as a Recruit Company Commander in Orlando, FL. My young bride called me in tears, to tell me that she had just been in an accident and her car was a mess. I rushed home to check on her, and found her by the car talking to an elderly gentleman who had loaned her the phone, gave her a cup of coffee to calm her nerves, and was playing with my young son. He saw me in my white jumper with red rope and dolphins, and motioned for me to go into his house to get a cup of coffee. As I entered his home, I noticed a wooden set of dolphins over his fireplace. I asked him about the dolphins, and he informed me that he was a WWII subvet (Sorry, I don't remember which boat). We talked for a while and he asked me if I knew how many boats were lost in WWII. I told him I did not know. His face changed, and he stuck out a bony little finger and jabbed it in my chest and said these words to me: "How the hell can you know where you're going if you don't know where you've been?" You earned those fish on the backs of those men on eternal patrol, you owe it to them to honor their service by remembering!" I took that to heart.

Later in my career, I had the great honor to serve on USS NARWHAL (SSN 671). We had a terrific relationship with veterans of SS-167 NARWHAL, and I was honored to be in their presence. My spouse and I spent many hours in hotel hospitality rooms listening to (and in the case of my spouse, taking notes) stories of her rescue missions to the Phillipines to return refugees. Never in my life have I met finer men. I also learned about US Sub Vets, WWII and USSVI. I became very interested in joining USSVI. Allow me to explain why I have altered my position on that.

I have attended meetings in 3 different locations I have been stationed at, and each time I attended, I was summarily ignored by the members in attendance. I tried to introduce myself and was barely acknowledged, and not invited once into any conversations. Recently, I tried to find the nearest base to myself where I live now, and called a member. I asked for simple directions so that I may attend a meeting and was basically told "you have a map, don't you?" I'm a little dense, but that sure seems like an indicator that I'm not welcome. I would really like to be proven wrong on this. I truly miss the fellowship with brothers of the 'phin.

On a closing note, I would like to particularly apologize to Mr. Armstrong. I called you out in my post, probably because you were the most vocal. I understand your pride in smoke boats and understand that I feel similar about the boats I served on. I am proud of each one of them. I still refer to my E-Division on MARYLAND as "The Best Damn E-Div on the Waterfront", only because they were. I actually read one of your writings at my retirement ceremony, about Submarine Chiefs. I strived to be a Chief like that (to a certain degree). Too often in this day Chiefs are so preoccupied with making Senior Chief or Master Chief that they forget how they got there in the first place. I always lived by the creed "Sailors First, Sailors Always." I forgot that when I posted to you and the rest here, and I will not forget that again. I'm pretty sure I would have liked having you work for me, you seem like the kind of sailor I always tried to develop in my squids. No BS, work hard, play hard, never wavering, get the job done.

Thanks for the verbal bonk on the head. I needed it.

Chuck Brunson
EMCS(SS), Ret
SSBN 630G, SSN 676, 671, 712, SSBN 738G

Hey Chuck you sure wrote nothing to be ashamed of. Welcome to the "Take the bait club".. I am the clubs biggest sucker..and one of it's charter members.. A Take the Bait club plankowner if you will? I thought your post was excellent and afterall you are intitled to your opinion regardless of some responces, and I'm happy you did not depart. Some of us have just gone deeper and and surface once in a while when it's a calmer sea.

Mr Armstrong has written many a fine story and he is blessed with the gift of spinning yarns of lore about the "Old Navy". And I like many here love his stories but unfortunitly he also has little respect for todays all volunteer military and is quite serious about his bad opinions on the Nuke Navy and todays military in general. These opinions he has a right to but often he will use these points to fish for strikes like yours on this board, I know because I am a frequent striker of Dex's slamming of today's military.
Maybe it's a jealousy or even an ignorance of todays military which is a result of of his being a peace time DBFer who may not have meet the qualifications for the fledgling Nuke Navy back then...I don't know but he is best ignored when he goes off on his rants etc. Many shipmates here tolerate his rants and seem to be afraid of responding in kind maybe for fear of being kicked out of that circle of people that follow him like he was
the pied piper.. willing to drink the Dexter Kool aid on demand Anyway you really should reconsider joining the USSVI. It's a wonderful club and it has brought me back in touch with so many old friends and shipmates.
Like Ferris Beuler said " I do like it so"..

I too belong to our local VFW and I enjoy that club too. But the USSVI is different because of it's credo of being the "Brotherhood of the Phin".. we all have that one thing in common and it's our Dolphins..I've been out of the Navy since 1975 and every time I go to a meeting at School street it's like being beamed back in time..

Anyway Senior Chief you need not apoligize to DEX.. I read your post and it seems he owes you an apoligy, But that's just my own radiation scared mind's opinion and if I were you brother, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for one either. And we both know how long us Nuke Boaters can hold our breath.. Oh BTW I'm also a DBFer please don't hold that against me.

Welcome to the sand box.
sister5lp
Posted 2008-08-11 4:26 PM (#18443 - in reply to #18326)

Mess cooking

Reading all these comments on uniforms, reminds me of last week end. I was packing up the clothes from the closet, and came across Howard's pea coat. Needless to say I packed that very carefully, and shed a few tears. However uniforms change, that is the nature of time marching on. However it seems that a few things remaine constant. The pride of the wearer to be wearing said uniforms, and the fact that they do atract some emotions. It seems that a few things have very much remained constant, such as the pea coat

Edited by sister5lp 2008-08-11 4:27 PM
rjs2005
Posted 2008-08-12 5:04 AM (#18462 - in reply to #18326)

Old Salt

Thanks for those who replied to my apology, I appreciate it. I was not looking for affirmation that I'm a good person or anything such as that, I know who I am and what I stand for, and that's all that matters. I did write some things that were not in keeping with my character, and I felt the need to extend my remorse for that. For my part, it's done with. Time to move on.
Or so I thought. I do feel compelled to respond to Smiley's comments. Perhaps I "took the bait", I tend to think not. Strong opinions were expressed and I lashed out at them. Everyone is entitled to their opinions whether you agree with them or not. I could have very well expressed my opinion without all of the negatives and made my point. I disagree with you on my need to apologize to Dex Armstrong. I unfairly lashed out at him, because his opinion was different than mine. I also do not believe for a single second that he harbors any ill feelings about today's "All Volunteer Military." He may not approve of the direction the Navy and the submarine force is going, and in many instances I completely agree, but I respect him for his service, and believe that he supports today's sailor. If I am wrong and he truly harbors negative feelings about the Nuclear Navy, that's his loss, not mine.

I disagree with those here who say that updating the undress uniform to an all-season design will somehow tarnish the tradition of Naval uniforms. I have pointed out and will continue to point out that a sailor is not defined by a white shirt and white trousers. A sailor is universally recognized by the jumper uniform and those uniforms will remain, unchanged, 13 buttons, square-knot tie, dixie cup and all. It is the most distinctive uniform of all of the services, and no one mistakes a sailor when he wears it. The one regret I had when I "put on the hat" of a Chief Petty Officer was that I would no longer be able to hit the beach in my dress blue jumper. (BTW, I have silver dolphin liberty cuffs in my jumper and was proud to show them right up to when I made Chief.)

As far as reconsidering joining USSVI, I encourage any submariner I see to get involved. I will probably look up the other base near here, and join the brotherhood some day. I just need to get over my perceived slight; that's my problem and I'm quite sure my presence or absence really doesn't make much difference anyway.

I'm done with this topic now. Let's move on.

Chuck
SOB490
Posted 2008-08-12 6:02 AM (#18464 - in reply to #18420)

Old Salt

Hey, Chuck - everybody manages to stomp on their crank somewhere along the line - just don't do it with golf shoes on! Then we'd have to nickname you "Piccolo."

You'll see flareups like this every so often. Those of us who have been retired for 30 years from the US&N also discover how much we miss working with true shipmates - and like every after battery (OK, I'm DBF) I've ever chowed down in, a little sand gets into the vaseline every so often in the best of them. Doesn't make any of the contestants bad guys at all. What makes anyone "bad" is that they keep making the same mistake.
RCK
Posted 2008-08-12 6:44 AM (#18468 - in reply to #18464)
Master and Commander

The bluejacket uniform had a symbolism that represented the traditions of our predecessors. The Marines have the Eagle Globe and Anchor that they adhere to while the Army and Air Force use the U.S. collar insinia. The Navy stands alone in the uniquiness of their uniform. The thirteen buttons on the "Bell Bottom" throusers, representing the original thirteen colonies. The "Bell Bottoms" themselves set the "Bluejackets" apart from the other services. The "white hat" and "jumper" also said "I am a sailor" They have their own link to the past. The Flap on the jumper pays homage to the early sailors who tarred their hair. It protected the shirt. The white hat brim was adopted to provide some protection from thing that were dropped from the rigging. These uniform items paid respect to our forefathers and maintaining that connection to the past is important. We should not change this linkage. There is no good reason to change our traditions. Some say it would save money, but I say tradtion is more important. If you want to save money then go after the civilian contractors that overcharged the government by some 13 billion dollars since 2001. Besides last time I heard, after the initial uniform is given to the recruit, sailors pay for their own uniforms.
MAD DOG
Posted 2008-08-12 6:59 AM (#18469 - in reply to #18326)

Master and Commander

Chuck:
Now that you have been properly spanked by the membership,consider
it your initiation to the BBS.I got my ass thoroughly kicked when I made my
debut.Since then I have learned more (both on this BBS and in the massive library
I've accumulated since then) about the history,pride and tradition of our
illustrious brotherhood than I ever wanted to know while on active duty.I am a new member of USSVI and like a few other
folks in the sandbox,I'm counting the days until I can join my mentors and heros
in the Holland club.
So what if your opinions differ somewhat from what you consider "the norm",
if you stick around you'll find that a can of worms is a commom commodity
hereabouts.We don't agree with eachother most of the time.
The subject of uniform change is always a good fire starter here,particularly
among guys my age.Before I retired in '83,I spent a fortune that I could'nt
afford on doubleknit whites and blues and polyester working uniforms just to
see them get thrown out when we went back to the more sensible "old
style"duds.
This forum is no place for those who are thin skinned or afraid to say"That's
my story and I'm stickin to it",so please consider NOT running away with your
tail between your legs(or your head up your ass,whatever fits).
Stick around,Shipmate.
rjs2005
Posted 2008-08-12 7:33 AM (#18470 - in reply to #18326)

Old Salt

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just done apologizing for my crass words. Anybody wanna duke it out about uniform changes, I'm willing to go toe to toe. Like most of you here, I have strong opinions, and I'm not about to back down from them. I expect to take abuse about my position irt USSVI, but it's my opinion, and until I'm proven otherwise, it's not likely to change.

I know exactly what you mean about double knits/CNT/Polywool/whatever the newest material trend happened to be. I flat refused to buy polywool uniforms and stayed at odds with my final command over that. Fortunately, I had the US Navy Uniform Regs on my side. Having said that, I still believe it's time for summer whites and winter blues to go. They are either difficult to maintain or stupidly uncomfortable (or in the case of a recruiter, a potential death sentence- see my previous post).
Smiley
Posted 2008-08-12 9:55 AM (#18475 - in reply to #18462)
Great Sage of the Sea

rjs2005 - 2008-08-12 8:04 AM

Thanks for those who replied to my apology, I appreciate it. I was not looking for affirmation that I'm a good person or anything such as that, I know who I am and what I stand for, and that's all that matters. I did write some things that were not in keeping with my character, and I felt the need to extend my remorse for that. For my part, it's done with. Time to move on.
Or so I thought. I do feel compelled to respond to Smiley's comments. Perhaps I "took the bait", I tend to think not. Strong opinions were expressed and I lashed out at them. Everyone is entitled to their opinions whether you agree with them or not. I could have very well expressed my opinion without all of the negatives and made my point. I disagree with you on my need to apologize to Dex Armstrong. I unfairly lashed out at him, because his opinion was different than mine. I also do not believe for a single second that he harbors any ill feelings about today's "All Volunteer Military." He may not approve of the direction the Navy and the submarine force is going, and in many instances I completely agree, but I respect him for his service, and believe that he supports today's sailor. If I am wrong and he truly harbors negative feelings about the Nuclear Navy, that's his loss, not mine.

I disagree with those here who say that updating the undress uniform to an all-season design will somehow tarnish the tradition of Naval uniforms. I have pointed out and will continue to point out that a sailor is not defined by a white shirt and white trousers. A sailor is universally recognized by the jumper uniform and those uniforms will remain, unchanged, 13 buttons, square-knot tie, dixie cup and all. It is the most distinctive uniform of all of the services, and no one mistakes a sailor when he wears it. The one regret I had when I "put on the hat" of a Chief Petty Officer was that I would no longer be able to hit the beach in my dress blue jumper. (BTW, I have silver dolphin liberty cuffs in my jumper and was proud to show them right up to when I made Chief.)

As far as reconsidering joining USSVI, I encourage any submariner I see to get involved. I will probably look up the other base near here, and join the brotherhood some day. I just need to get over my perceived slight; that's my problem and I'm quite sure my presence or absence really doesn't make much difference anyway.

I'm done with this topic now. Let's move on.

Chuck

That's cool Chuck, Afterall it was your post and it's your perogative.. I just thought as a veteran of many of Dex's minefields I would give you fair warning before swords were crossed,or tears shed, and bounty trashed and ugly nasty words being thrown and then being cast off these boards back to the cruel cold world of BBS unaffiliation to wander thru the dark depths of the web world etc etc..
And as for his respect for today's military just read on for a while the proof is in the putting..I do know shipmate, been there and done that..it ain't pretty, no sir ee!
I Just offering a little support I apoligize if I was otta line..
Anyway welcome aboard, I'm Walt and my handle is Smiley because I as a joker and a wisearse and my first Div Chief gave me that nickname and it stuck with me until I got out. I'm no longer a joker or a wisearse.. I just like the handle.
rjs2005
Posted 2008-08-12 9:59 AM (#18476 - in reply to #18326)

Old Salt

Not trying to tweak you Walt, I just want everyone to know where I stand. Thanks for the kind words, I do appreciate them.

Chuck
Launcher Lary
Posted 2008-08-12 12:38 PM (#18485 - in reply to #18415)

Senior Crew

Hey Don, you mean like these? I got mine in Diego boot camp July '74...bought my own "Cracker Jacks" as soon as they were authorized in '81-'82 somewhere in there, while on shore duty at Bangor...

Billy Bob

(Billy Bob qualified.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Billy Bob qualified.jpg (51KB - 797 downloads)
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-08-12 9:58 PM (#18491 - in reply to #18326)

Great Sage of the Sea

Hey Smiley... The friggin proof is in the PUDDING, not the putting.

BB
MAD DOG
Posted 2008-08-13 5:11 AM (#18496 - in reply to #18491)

Master and Commander

BlackBeard - 2008-08-13 12:58 AM

BB

That all depends on where you put it.
(that's what she said)
Ed668
Posted 2008-08-13 6:26 AM (#18498 - in reply to #18394)
Senior Crew

mike652 - 2008-08-09 11:55 PM

Chris - I might be off by a year, but I do not remember anyone wearing the light blue pull-over shirt and dark blue trousers until ’73. I got two sets about the time I got married, which was May ‘73. Hated them and used the trousers for tug-o-war with my St. Bernard.

I was issued the above uniform in bootcamp in 1971. I liked the uniform until I was homeported in Mayport, FL. The polyester pants were too hot for the climate and I went to wearing dungarees because the cotton was more comfortable in the heat and humidity.

I had the same problem with the salt and pepper uniform. Polyester sucks as a choice for military uniforms unless you spend your working hours in a comfortable air conditioned room. I remember hating that uniform when I had to stand topside watches in the summer.

Also, there is nothing more more stupid than having to wear a filthy greasy salt stained lifejacket over a white uniform. I had one white shirt that was only used for topside watch.
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-08-13 9:33 PM (#18534 - in reply to #18491)

Great Sage of the Sea

BlackBeard - 2008-08-12 7:58 PM

BB

You don't play golf, do you?

Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-08-13 9:40 PM (#18535 - in reply to #18462)

Great Sage of the Sea

rjs2005 - 2008-08-12 3:04 AM
... I disagree with those here who say that updating the undress uniform to an all-season design will somehow tarnish the tradition of Naval uniforms. I have pointed out and will continue to point out that a sailor is not defined by a white shirt and white trousers. A sailor is universally recognized by the jumper uniform and those uniforms will remain, unchanged, 13 buttons, square-knot tie, dixie cup and all. It is the most distinctive uniform of all of the services, and no one mistakes a sailor when he wears it. The one regret I had when I "put on the hat" of a Chief Petty Officer was that I would no longer be able to hit the beach in my dress blue jumper. (BTW, I have silver dolphin liberty cuffs in my jumper and was proud to show them right up to when I made Chief.)

Chuck

My problem with the new service uniforms is that the shirt is khaki. When the proposed choices first came out in Navy Times, I found the bluegrey shirt more appealing and in keeping with the naval tradition. As so many others, I feel the khaki shirt is too close to the other services, and that, even though I never made Chief, khaki should be reserved for the Chiefs and officers, as it has for sooo many years.
rjs2005
Posted 2008-08-14 6:39 AM (#18545 - in reply to #18326)

Old Salt

I agree with you there. I would have preferred to see the blue-grey shirt, and I'm not really sure what happened to that proposal. My support for the new uniform is simply a matter of the lesser of two evils: the existing uniforms are overdue for updating, and while this option ain't perfect, it's certainly better than what we have now.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-14 7:05 AM (#18548 - in reply to #18326)
COMSUBBBS

Just about anything looks better than these BDU's that look like stuff recycled from yesterdays laundry bag.
rjs2005
Posted 2008-08-14 9:54 AM (#18556 - in reply to #18326)

Old Salt

No doubt!!! I'm on record as stating the (Navy) BDU is a stupid answer to a stupid question that no one should have asked in the first place. There is NOTHING wrong with the current utility working uniform, and for the really grimy work, there's always the coveralls (poopie suit).
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software