Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS Schley / AA-1 / T-1 (SF-1) (SS-52) originally named for Winfield Scott Schley, Rear Admiral, United States Navy, renamed AA-1 on 23 August 1917 before being Launched on 25 July 1918; Commissioned, USS AA-1, 30 January 1920; Designated (SF-1), 20 July 1920; Renamed USS T-1 (SF-1), 20 September 1920
Yesteray marked 9 years tobacco free!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Stoops
Posted 2008-08-09 4:23 PM (#18374)
Master and Commander

Subject: Yesteray marked 9 years tobacco free!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went cold turkey....Was hard for a week or two.....but I haven't been tempted to start up, and the high price of those damn things now are enough to discourage me from starting up again....

Ric
Posted 2008-08-09 4:25 PM (#18375 - in reply to #18374)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Yesteray marked 9 years tobacco free!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good for you bubba. Been a little longer for me but I knows whatcha mean. Hang in there. Starting the up hill side of 25 years alcohol free.
GaryKC
Posted 2008-08-09 4:35 PM (#18376 - in reply to #18374)

COMSUBBBS

Congrats to you both, well done.

Next tuesday marks my forth year sober, smokes are next to quit, then food and water and finally....neked wimin wit huge EYES.

Edited by GaryKC 2008-08-09 5:03 PM
Stoops
Posted 2008-08-09 5:31 PM (#18379 - in reply to #18374)
Master and Commander

Great, Gary....but save the nekid wimmins for last.....

Hey---it's been a long time since we've heard a good story from "The Naked Taxi"!

There are a million stories in the Naked Taxi....This has been one of them.....or something like that!
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-09 7:29 PM (#18383 - in reply to #18374)
COMSUBBBS

YEEEE_DOGGY!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats to you and all that have kicked the habits. For me it's been since '67
Stoops
Posted 2008-08-09 8:09 PM (#18386 - in reply to #18383)
Master and Commander

Well, Ralph you were so busy trying to teach McMichael stuff, you couldn't possibly had time to help me or the rest of the multitudes that could have used your help!!

But some of us will eventually learn.......late is better than never.....
Gil
Posted 2008-08-09 8:12 PM (#18387 - in reply to #18374)
Master and Commander

Hate to play devil's advocate as I've got more vices than I can deal with.  Cigars, ponies, sports, food, booze, and wild women for starters.  Never been addicted to cigarettes but know many that are.

When I was working I was around a lot of people that quit smoking, problem was they quit four or five times and then when they got put on a stressful Project they'd go back.  Isn't smoke addiction like booze and drugs - quitting is one day at a time.  Not trying to be holier than thou or rain on your parade, but isn't it one day at a time also?

Stoops
Posted 2008-08-09 8:32 PM (#18389 - in reply to #18387)
Master and Commander

Gil,
Every one is different...I appreciate your remarks.....I had quit unsuccessfully a number of times.....I knew after each time it was a failure........It took a strong resolve and perseverance to make sure I would never smoke again...the first few weeks were one day at a time....but after some weeks or months, the stress was reduced.....

If folks are having a hard time, my advice to them is to keep trying......just increase your resolve....lots of folks fail the first couple times.....but just stay with it.....It's worth it, and anyone can do it if I can.....Hell, if you think you can't, just call John Clear....now when that EMC(SS) tells you that you will quit, YOU WILL QUIT....just ask DEX!

Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-08-10 2:16 AM (#18395 - in reply to #18374)

Master and Commander

Stoops - 2008-08-09 5:23 PM

Went cold turkey....Was hard for a week or two.....but I haven't been tempted to start up, and the high price of those damn things now are enough to discourage me from starting up again....

BZ, Dave. I have been off them for 43 years and don't miss them one bit. Of course that habit got replaced with my penchant for visiting shipmates and stealing their single malt.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-10 2:56 AM (#18396 - in reply to #18374)
COMSUBBBS

Well Dave, you know how hard headed McMichael can be. Over the years we had atough time trying to drum some sense into that thick skull of his, however, along comes Billie and she wrapped him right around her little finger and got that scoundrel to see the light. She's a fantastic women.
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-08-10 7:09 AM (#18399 - in reply to #18374)

COMSUBBBS

Years ago, I was on Rontini's Board and I finished a post with..."Now I've gotta step out on the patio and fire up a Salem." (My dear bride allowed no smoking in the house...said it stunk up the curtains and made everything smell like a train station.) Right after the post, I signed off and was pullin a smoke out of the pack and fishing in my pocket for my Zippo. when the phone rang. "Dex you damn idiot, are you still smoking?" "Who'n the hell is this?" "John Clear...Shipmate you need to deep six that habit...the damn things will screw up your health and most likely kill you....Dammit...QUIT." Nobody ever cared enough to tell me what John "Crystal Clear" told me that day. I put the smoke back in the pack....went cold turk-a-lurk and have never fired another one up....However, if a Doc ever tells me I have a terminal illness the first thing I'm going to do, is buy ten cartons of non-filter smokes and five disposable lighters and fire up....But, I've never broken my word to Chief Clear...He probably knows how long it has been. All I know it has been beaucoup years. THANKS JOHN.... WHAT A GREAT GIFT. John knew it was tough, but nobody who ever simply stopped smoking had a more constant or supporive shipmate to keep him on the proper course. DEX
crystal
Posted 2008-08-10 7:37 AM (#18400 - in reply to #18374)

Master and Commander

April 2, 2002

Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-10 8:38 AM (#18403 - in reply to #18374)
COMSUBBBS

If any haven't quit smoking, now is a good time to do it. Watching/tending to some one during their last few days of life suffering with lung cancer will definitely put the fear to ya. My Dad's Oncologist said any who have smoked or are smoking WILL get lung cancer. Some won't live long enough for it to catch up. If you live long enough, eventually it will catch you. Man, those were some scarey words.
I quit smoking in '67, however, I've been around diesel engines for so long that I wonder about my days. I can tell that my lung capacity sure isn't what it use to be. Time marches on. Something will take everyone of us out someday. Do ya reckon we could do an anchor pool or the "take in all lines" pool?

Edited by Ralph Luther 2008-08-10 8:39 AM
Park Dallis
Posted 2008-08-10 7:05 PM (#18409 - in reply to #18374)

Old Salt

I quit July 13, 1965 right after I arrived at ComSubLant.  No way I could've quit while on the boat.

Docs used to ask if I smoked or not.  Now they ask if I ever smoked and if so, for how many years, and when did I quit.

I can still smell if someone lights up an unfiltered Camel from across the room.
Larry Smith
Posted 2008-08-10 7:28 PM (#18410 - in reply to #18387)

Senior Crew

Gil - 2008-08-09 6:12 PM

Isn't smoke addiction like booze and drugs - quitting is one day at a time. Not trying to be holier than thou or rain on your parade, but isn't it one day at a time also?

I can't speak for every ex-smoker, but no, I'm long past the one-day-at-a-time stage. I tried quitting several times before I succeeded, and once I finally quit, I felt like I was a non-smoking smoker for several months. Then the Navy sent me for a regular dental check-up, and I got my teeth cleaned. The next morning was the first time in years that my mouth didn't feel like an ashtray, and that day, thirty-three years ago, was the day I became an official ex-smoker.

Best wishes to anyone trying to quit. It's damned hard to do.
iPOD
Posted 2008-08-11 1:42 AM (#18416 - in reply to #18387)

Master and Commander

Not really Gil haven't had a cigarette since 11 December 1992 easiest thing I ever did that time anyway, had given up at least 300 times prior, now I have no cravings and in fact can no longer stay near anyone smoking at the risk of being physically sick.

Side effects of quitting smoking gained 18 Kgs and never got it off (One of these days), saved my life according to Cardiologist, Triple Bypass at 44 with all damage caused by smoking with only reason for not having massive coronary being I quit smoking which stopped further damage.

FredP
Posted 2008-08-11 5:01 AM (#18419 - in reply to #18374)

Mess cooking

I quit about 19-20 years ago. BZ, but I read in the newspaper today that a poisonous viper was missing in Galveston yesterday!!! Were they refering to you or did you eat the dam thing!!!!
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-11 6:32 AM (#18423 - in reply to #18374)
COMSUBBBS

Whatchew talkin about, Fred? That viper has got to be either Beeghly or Stoops. They run in pairs, don't cha know.
Launcher Lary
Posted 2008-08-11 3:02 PM (#18438 - in reply to #18374)

Senior Crew

Congrats one and all...BTDT...I started quitting smoking cigarettes sometime in 1984 and finished quitting in 1991. I still light up a stogie from time to time (mostly to piss off the bride - of 29 years yesterday 8/10, but also because I enjoy it)...I know, I know smoking is smoking...but I don't inhale (snicker, snicker, snert, snert)...keep up the good work shipmates.

Billy Bob
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-08-11 3:40 PM (#18441 - in reply to #18400)

Master and Commander

Subject: Reformed smokers? Check these two!

crystal - 2008-08-10 8:37 AM

April 2, 2002

Now here's a couple of reformed smokers for you.

(When Brandy and Cigars meet.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments When Brandy and Cigars meet.jpg (62KB - 675 downloads)
Stoops
Posted 2008-08-11 5:30 PM (#18447 - in reply to #18441)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Reformed smokers? Check these two!

I can see both of Olgoat' hands....where are Clear's???????
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-08-11 5:38 PM (#18448 - in reply to #18447)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Reformed smokers? Check these two!

Stoops - 2008-08-11 6:30 PM

I can see both of Olgoat' hands....where are Clear's???????

Why do you think the Olgoat is smiling?
Bear
Posted 2008-08-11 6:34 PM (#18452 - in reply to #18374)

Great Sage of the Sea

Dec 7 1988 (this year will be twenty really the same length of time I was a 2 packer) was made to sit outside to smoke and had a little rat dog that was always with me and it was cold and rainy and I looked at the dog and it was shivering it butt of and I said Yeah Beager this is stupid as hell. Put it out and haven't had one since
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-12 5:56 AM (#18463 - in reply to #18374)
COMSUBBBS

Bear, I know what you mean about smoking being stupid. Back in the summer of '67 my future wife and I were at a drive-in movie doing the usual hugn and a kissn. We stppoed to come up for air when I reached in my pocket for the pack of camels. Now how stupid can one get to take a break from makin out to have a smoke. The pack went out the window and I haven't smoked--a cigarette- since.
I went to Underwater Swimmer School in Key West a couple of weeks later and was damn glad I had quit smoking. Those mile and 5 mile runs liked to have killed me.
rjs2005
Posted 2008-08-12 6:19 AM (#18467 - in reply to #18374)

Old Salt

I was one of those fools who quit underway. I ran out during a 30-day op and always got irritated at those who ran out and bummed for the remainder of the op, so I just quit. Appartently, I became somewhat irritable since packs of smokes kept "appearing" in my poopie suit pocket when I racked out. That was in November 1987, and I haven't touched 'em since. Now if I could just learn moderation in the chow line!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software