Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS SKATE and USS SEADRAGON, after affecting a historic rendezvous under the ice, surfaced together at the North Pole through an opening in the ice on August 1962.
Liberty Cuffs
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2008-08-11 2:06 AM (#18418)
Master and Commander

Subject: Liberty Cuffs

I will admit that while I could wear blues and Dolphins, my cuffs had embroydered silver Dolphins on them. What did you guys have?
TSpoon
Posted 2008-08-11 7:27 AM (#18426 - in reply to #18418)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Liberty Cuffs

I still have the Mermaids in my cuffs that I had sewn in the weekend I got out of boot camp. I went to down town San Diego, entered the Seven '7' Seas locker club and had my issue uniform spiked and belled, a zipper installed in my jumper, and the Mermaids sewn in. Then when I bought my shark skin Hong Kong war suit I had the Mermaids transferred.

I also now collect Liberty Cuffs and have about 86 different pair. From todays machine made ones to the old hand stitched ones of pre WWII. The best seem to have come from China.

T.Spoon, DBF
PaulR
Posted 2008-08-11 7:35 AM (#18428 - in reply to #18418)

Master and Commander

Sewer Pipe Snipe - 2008-08-11 5:06 AMI will admit that while I could wear blues and Dolphins, my cuffs had embroidered silver Dolphins on them. What did you guys have?

One of my first purchases was a set of gaberdine's from a Norfolk shop.  I was two weeks out of boot camp and serving aboard APA-228.  I also had liberty cuff sewed on...Gold Eagles, I think.   As I recall it cost me an entire paycheck, maybe more.

I must have been a site...SA, tailored blues, crew-cut.  But I wanted to be/look cool. 
Ric
Posted 2008-08-11 8:56 AM (#18429 - in reply to #18428)

Plankowner

so.....did it work???
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-08-11 5:25 PM (#18446 - in reply to #18418)

Master and Commander

Sewer Pipe Snipe - 2008-08-11 3:06 AM

I will admit that while I could wear blues and Dolphins, my cuffs had embroydered silver Dolphins on them. What did you guys have?

I bought a pair of Seafarer Gabardines at some Tailor Shop on Bank Street. They had dragons on the cuffs and also inside the jumper under the collar. I sold them when I got out and, probably like many, wish I still had them. Not sure they'd fit but who cares?
crystal
Posted 2008-08-11 5:39 PM (#18449 - in reply to #18418)

Master and Commander

From a WWII jumper

(cuff art.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cuff art.JPG (47KB - 857 downloads)
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2008-08-11 5:50 PM (#18450 - in reply to #18418)
Master and Commander

I still have my Seafarer Gabardines. Yes, they have dragons on the inside. I got mine at the New London Sub Base Exchange Tailor Shop. I did not get them until I was a 2nd Class with a hash mark and getting married. I wore them only for my wedding because by 1972, civilian clothes were the norm when on liberty.

There are even little seahorses on the clothes stop loops.

With a 28 inch waist in the bottoms and a 36 inch chest on the jumper, they are a mite small. It is the only uniform item I kept all these years.

I did tried on the jumper many years ago; it took two people to help me get the jumper off.

Bear
Posted 2008-08-11 6:29 PM (#18451 - in reply to #18418)

Great Sage of the Sea

several sets first ones were Snipes (still have one) then Dragons (Hong Kong set of Blues but not qualified) then Dolphins final set I had were Polar Bears (still have one of them)
Boy Throttleman
Posted 2008-08-11 7:09 PM (#18453 - in reply to #18418)

Old Salt

Because I was going to the Requin (a type of shark) I had sharks put in mine.
I had been warned that Dolphin liberty cuffs for a non qual were not a good idea.
On Requin anything that smacked of Dolphin wearing too soon could preclude you ever getting them for real.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software