Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS SKIPJACK was the first submarine designed from the keel up for top underwater performance using nuclear power. An earlier SKIPJACK was the first U.S. submarine to cross the Atlantic ocean under her own power (Newport, Rhode Island to Ponta Delgada, Azores, in 1917).
Smiley, some HOCKEY news.....
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-08-13 7:35 AM (#18502)

Master and Commander

Subject: Smiley, some HOCKEY news.....

....you will be most pleased of course to see that the Kookaburra's ( Australia's male hockey team ) beat South Africa 10 - 0

Now the other day when you were beating your chest about your hockey team.....and of course you meant ICE Hockey.....I have a question for you.

"How in all seriousness can you guys have the audacity to proclaim team 'x' as 'World Champions' when you and Canada are the only teams competing"?

same goes for your Baseball teams...."world champions my arse"

More like 'Bi Nation's Champions'

Oh, and well done to Michael Phelps on his amazing swimming....truly a World Champion if ever I saw one!

Blue *_*
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-08-13 10:33 AM (#18505 - in reply to #18502)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Smiley, some HOCKEY news.....

Finally something I can talk about.
Blue; professional ice hockey doesn't have a World Championship; they play for the Stanley Cup. No mention of world in it. There are World Championships where any country that can get a championship caliber team can compete. In recent history the championships have been dominated by Sweden and Finland. Canada and the United States are generally competitive but not like they used to. All the good players have already gone into the professional leagues and they don't like to take time off to play in the international competitions; except during the Winter Olympics; then the pro's from north America, take time off to go compete.
I'll leave the baseball section of your question to others; I don't follow baseball any longer.
Cheers mate,
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-08-13 11:04 AM (#18508 - in reply to #18505)

Admin

Subject: Root for the Squids!!!

My hockey team, the Squids, has a second round playoff game tonight.  The pic is when we won our Div last (winter) season so we hope to win tonight, then again on Sunday so we can take another photo like this one.  So... root for the Squids!

(SquidsWinWinter2007-8.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments SquidsWinWinter2007-8.jpg (36KB - 765 downloads)
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-08-14 12:20 AM (#18537 - in reply to #18508)

Admin

Subject: Squids come in third...

Thanks to Patti (Miss Lumpy Bumps) for being the ONLY person to send well-wishes to the Squids.  We lost 3-1 but came in 3rd in both the regular season and the playoffs in our first year in a higher division... not bad.  Plus, we got to drink mass quanitities of brew to drown our sorrows (once a sailor, always a sailor

The rest of you, understandibly, will be permanently BANNED from this BBS!!!!

I guess it's just you and me Patti... whattya wanna talk about?

Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-08-14 5:49 AM (#18541 - in reply to #18537)

Master and Commander

Subject: But Mate......

....have you forgotten THE 'Code'????

The code that quite clearly states "one should not wish good luck to a shipmate because as sure as POD is one ugly son of a gun, it will turn into Bad Luck"

I think you need to drown a few more beers to recall that finer detail of THE Code!

Blue *_*

Good on ya by the way
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-14 6:36 AM (#18544 - in reply to #18502)
COMSUBBBS

Good onya, Don and congrats to the team.
Smiley
Posted 2008-08-14 12:52 PM (#18561 - in reply to #18544)
Great Sage of the Sea

You must be talking Field hockey Blue..
I played Ice Hockey in High School and besides throwing on skates a few times a year with the Kids and Grand Daughter I haven't played hockey in 40 years.. Don I give you a lot of credit shipmate.. You must have ankles made of rubber and the back of a 18 year old..I still play softball one day a week and that takes beats on me.. I could not imagine 60 min on the ice with a bunch of old guys chasing a puck at 30 mph.. whew...I bet it's fun.. And yes I still skate in my old Ccms and have never wore a "figure skate" like so many of my old "puck warriors" do now.
Congrats on your great season Don There's always next year.
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-08-14 2:13 PM (#18566 - in reply to #18537)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Squids come in third...

Don Gentry - 2008-08-14 1:20 AM

Thanks to Patti (Miss Lumpy Bumps) for being the ONLY person to send well-wishes to the Squids.  We lost 3-1 but came in 3rd in both the regular season and the playoffs in our first year in a higher division... not bad.  Plus, we got to drink mass quanitities of brew to drown our sorrows (once a sailor, always a sailor

The rest of you, understandibly, will be permanently BANNED from this BBS!!!!

I guess it's just you and me Patti... whattya wanna talk about?

We were all rooting for you in the pub and keeping those brown bottles moving through the supply chain;
Congrats on a good season.

Edited by Doc Gardner 2008-08-14 2:14 PM
Corabelle
Posted 2008-08-14 2:22 PM (#18567 - in reply to #18566)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Now, looky here, Don.

Whaddya mean, just you and Patti?

I'm jealous! (Is that how you spell it?)

By the way, you got more responses than I did. I posted about our Little League team that went all the way to the World Series--first game tomorrow--, and received not one response. Maybe I should make a little comment on it so that it will go to the top of the line again. I mean, all you guys should get another chance. Right?

Diddly dad burn it all, anyway?

(That's me yelling.)

Oh--by the way--ya done good. I only see one man with a graybeard in the picture, but he looks way too old to be you. (Oh, God..I hope it isn't Don.)

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-08-14 2:25 PM
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-08-14 3:49 PM (#18571 - in reply to #18561)

Admin

Our team's age range is 22 to 55 (I'm 53 for a few more months).  With today's skates, you don't need ankles anymore but you do need legs and wind... took me a while to build both but I've been on the ice about three times per week for about the last 2-1/2 years now (this was my fifth season with the team, 3 summers and 2 winters (twice as long)).  I'm addicted... and for a guy who's had bypass surgery like me... it makes my cardiologist jump for joy every I mention it!
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-08-14 4:46 PM (#18573 - in reply to #18567)

Admin

Subject: RE: Now, looky here, Don.

Yep... I'm the old guy

(Squids_Summer07_1Small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Squids_Summer07_1Small.jpg (344KB - 738 downloads)
Corabelle
Posted 2008-08-14 7:17 PM (#18579 - in reply to #18573)

COMSUBBBS

OOPS!!

How can I get out of this now? Lets see: I have a daughter who's almost 59; I should have a son who's 52; I have a son who's 47. Hey, you ARE just a kid!

Creeping silently (and that's hard for me) away,

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-08-15 10:43 AM
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-08-14 7:41 PM (#18580 - in reply to #18537)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Squids come in third...Ah, ah...Don...

if it's just "you and me"...hmmm...people might start to talk...

Cora...kudos to your Little League team...that's great! I remember many a summer day watching "locals" in my grandmother's hometown in PA...they actually made it to finals in late '60's and I think the whole town was
there for all the games...little mining town about 60 miles south of Williamsport. Boy, those were the days!!!
Now we have "old men" still playing ice hockey...what is this world coming to...;>)

Sorry you lost last night, Don...but season was a good one...and you "all" don't look any worse for ware...and that's a very good thing...doesn't look like there are any many missing teeth or any casts to speak of...so, all in all...it is a very good thing!!!

So, when does winter season start...(hehehe)...yes, I'm "addicted, too. Can't wait for regular season to start.

Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-08-14 10:17 PM (#18586 - in reply to #18561)

Master and Commander

Smiley - 2008-08-15 2:52 AM

You must be talking Field hockey Blue..

Obviously, as there is only one hockey worth playing.

Blue *_*
ex-ET nuc
Posted 2008-08-17 12:19 PM (#18689 - in reply to #18502)
New on board

In some other Hockey related news, my Rollerhockey team has made the 2nd round of play-offs, and tonight we're up for the semi-finals. With luck and a win tonight, we'll be playing in the finals on Tuesday. By the way Don, you're not that old. I'm 36 and one of the youngest on my team (and Goalie to boot!) If we win, it'll be a 3-peat for us, and the 6th ever in the past 12 years (we play 3 'seasons' per year)! Go Chiefs!
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-08-17 4:12 PM (#18699 - in reply to #18689)

Admin

There's no roller out here... but we have some ex-roller guys on our team... they're the ones that skate in BIG circles!  I think out league is aroung the sixth largest in the states now. 
Stoops
Posted 2008-08-17 4:20 PM (#18701 - in reply to #18579)
Master and Commander

Corabelle - 2008-08-14 7:17 PM

Creeping silently (and that's hard for me) away,

Cora

Did you mean "Creaking silently"? LOL!
ex-ET nuc
Posted 2008-08-17 4:30 PM (#18703 - in reply to #18502)
New on board

I played Ice for years, until my knees finally said "ENOUGH!" and now I'm on the concrete. I still occasionally sub in for the ice guys, but it's too tough on my knees to be in a regular league. As for the guys skating in big circles, they ovbiously not gotten the hang of the nice sharp edges allowing much tighter maneuvering. They need some speed and agility drills to improve their skating skills on ice.
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-08-17 4:42 PM (#18706 - in reply to #18699)

Admin

Oh, and I never said "I" was old, Cora did... man, she dive-bombed me on that one... I think they made movie about it once.... "Cora, Cora, Cora!!"    
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-08-17 4:59 PM (#18707 - in reply to #18706)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Smiley, some HOCKEY news.....UH, DON..

Cora didn't call you old...I DID...ya know I was only joshing...because I feel like Grandma Moses...
Corabelle
Posted 2008-08-17 7:00 PM (#18711 - in reply to #18706)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Now, let's be real specific here...

Quoting, "Yep...I'm the old guy." Now, who called who "old"?

If I said one more word, I'd be diggin' a hole too deep to climb out of.

Cora
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-08-17 7:09 PM (#18712 - in reply to #18711)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Now, let's be real specific here...That's right...

He said it first...

Don't worry, Cora...I'd pull you out...but then again, I'd probably be right next to you in that hole...
Jim M.
Posted 2008-08-18 1:11 AM (#18723 - in reply to #18706)

Great Sage of the Sea

Don Gentry - 2008-08-17 4:42 PM

Oh, and I never said "I" was old, Cora did... man, she dive-bombed me on that one... I think they made movie about it once.... "Cora, Cora, Cora!!"    

Don, I was with ya in spirit..but this jet lag is kicking my butt... was still in the air, somewhere over Angola, when you played... seems like ya had a great season..

GO PENGUINS!
ex-ET nuc
Posted 2008-08-18 10:37 AM (#18730 - in reply to #18502)
New on board

Whooo-Hooo! We had a win last night, so the Championships are tomorrow! Last night was a complete goalies game. We ended up winning 2-1 on 38 saves made by yours truely (I only had 2 subs on the bench due to illnesses and business travel), talk about stuck in a shooting gallery! We're hoping for a better turnout tomorrow, as we will be playing the top seeded team.
ex-ET nuc
Posted 2008-08-20 12:25 PM (#18810 - in reply to #18502)
New on board

It was a close game, but we lost 6-5 on a last minute goal during a penalty kill. This one was very much an offensive dominated game, with almost all goals scored off one-timers and around the corner 2-on-1's. It was a good effort by all and very evenly matched throughout, with just a last minute slip by one of my guys getting the penalty keeping the game from going to a shoot-out. Oh well, we'll try again next season.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software