Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo” -- Chief Officer Steward Dogan on the USS Gurnard during WWII
New lubricant for my bagpipes
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-08-13 4:16 PM (#18527)

Master and Commander

Subject: New lubricant for my bagpipes

Every now and then a shipmate does something that just amazes me until I stop and remember all the things we did together when we were young. Today a very special lubricant arrived that was imported from Scotland and it was immediately added to my "kit" of supplies in my pipe case. I can now say that my pipe case is complete and my pipes will never be dry.
Thanks to my shipmate "Zerk" the erstwhile webmaster of the Skipjack website.
Thanks Zerk, the "lubricant" will be used responsibly by an irresponsible piper. Here's a much better photo of the special "lubricant"
http://ussskipjack.org/Complete%20Pipe%20Kit.jpg

Edited by Doc Gardner 2008-08-14 1:28 AM
Mac McCoy
Posted 2008-08-14 11:31 AM (#18557 - in reply to #18527)
Senior Crew

Subject: RE: New lubricant for my bagpipes

Doc that picture is mighty small. Makes it real hard on my old eyes to try to see if that "lubricant" was for the pipes or the piper.
Smiley
Posted 2008-08-14 12:29 PM (#18558 - in reply to #18557)
Great Sage of the Sea

If you don't enjoy bagpipe music the lube is for you.. A few shots and you'll be dancin and singin along
From the looks of it I think it's a rather smooth and expensive a8 yearold single malt lube...
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-08-14 12:30 PM (#18559 - in reply to #18557)

Master and Commander

Subject: Looked full size to me

The lubricant is applied by osmosis. I imbibe the "lubricant" then blowing into the pipes they get the benefit.
Very simple concept, which is necessary because I'm just a "plain and simple" guy.
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-08-14 12:36 PM (#18560 - in reply to #18558)

Master and Commander

Smiley - 2008-08-14 1:29 PM

If you don't enjoy bagpipe music the lube is for you.. A few shots and you'll be dancin and singin along
From the looks of it I think it's a rather smooth and expensive a8 yearold single malt lube...

I just checked and it's 10 year old Single Malt. Now don't tell Stoops or he'll be sniffin around here trying to "share"
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2008-08-14 1:38 PM (#18563 - in reply to #18527)
Master and Commander

Good Lord! We now have a bagpipe playing motorcyclist dressed in kilts and imbibing in good Scotch loose on the BBS
Smiley
Posted 2008-08-14 1:56 PM (#18564 - in reply to #18563)
Great Sage of the Sea

Sewer Pipe Snipe - 2008-08-14 4:38 PM

Good Lord! We now have a bagpipe playing motorcyclist dressed in kilts and imbibing in good Scotch loose on the BBS

Yup and he goes "Regimental" and we know how low those old guys ....dare I say "swing low"...?
That style really did scare the bejeasus out of the French at the Battle of Quatra Bras.. ( a big engagement the day before the battle of Waterloo in 1815) The advancing French troops didn't know weather to laugh or run from the Black Watch and Innskillings( Highlander Infantry Regiments) .. They had heard about the kilts but never witnessed it up front and personal until then... A sad but true story of the fear a kilt can strike in the Heart of brave men.. That and the hair raising tune of a few hundred pipes whailing the fear of God into the French.

A British camp pun of the day was that the French thought they was fighting Wimmen.. until the got up close... Reeeeaaaallllly Close. The Pommy's always had a great sence of humor , especially at a Scotsman's expense.

Edited by Smiley 2008-08-14 2:00 PM
Flapper
Posted 2008-08-14 4:25 PM (#18572 - in reply to #18527)

Master and Commander

Subject: Some details on that 'lubricant' ...

It took a little playing with magnification of the photo ... and some photo analysis help from my better half ... but I determined that the lubricant is in fact a 10-year-old Edradour.

From my scotch bible, Michael Jackson's Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch (3rd Edition):

EDRADOUR

Producer: Pernod / Campbell Distillers
 Region: Highlands   District: Midlands

The smallest distillery in Scotland. Edradour is the last of the orginal farm distilleries, with some very traditional equipment. It likes to trace its history back to the beginning of legal whiskey production in the Highlands in 1825, although the present distillery is believed to have been founded in 1837. The distillery is at the hamlet of Balnauld, above the town of Pitlochry. Small and remote, it is reputed to have done a busy trade with American customers during the Prohibition. One story maintains that it was later indirectly owned for a lengthy period by teh Mafia, but this has not been substantiated.

It produces as much malt whiskey in a year as as some distilleries can make in a week, and has a staff of three. Its water rises through peat and granite, reaching the surface a few hundred yards from the building. It uses local barley and its stills are the smallest in Scotland, which must contribute to the distinctive richness of the malt. Stills any smaller would not be permitted by Customs and Excise, for fear that they could be operated in a secret hiding place.

In the late 1980s, Edradour began to bottle its whiskey as a 10-year-old single malt under its own label.

House style: Minty, creamy. After dinner.
Colour: Full golden
Nose: Peppermint, sugared almonds, hint of sherry, spicy-smoky notes.
Body: Remarkably creamy texture for a relatively light malt.
Palate: Minty-clean, creamy, malty.
Finish: Mellow, warming.

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-08-14 5:10 PM (#18574 - in reply to #18527)

COMSUBBBS

How are you going to oil up that screaming cats machine with that bottle of Woostershire Sauce? DEX
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-14 6:55 PM (#18576 - in reply to #18527)
COMSUBBBS

Chheezz, scotch whiskey being cranked out a farm?---- I don't know man--- I would definitely check out the ingredients very closely. Why dog-gone, I'd even let John Clear taste test it first.

Edited by Ralph Luther 2008-08-14 6:56 PM
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-08-14 9:22 PM (#18583 - in reply to #18527)

Great Sage of the Sea

You know Flapper, I really believe we are kindred souls. My copy of Michael Jackson's GTSMS sits right here next to my recliner and lap-top. I've bought three copies to give away to those newbies I introduced to single malts. I look forward to the day I come back to the Old Pueblo and join the Tucson base, I'll share a few drams of my favorites (all Islay malts) with you. Candrea canceled his coaching clinic this year because of the olympics so my annual trip home is off the calendar. Take care.

BB
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-08-15 1:50 AM (#18587 - in reply to #18572)

Master and Commander

Subject: Thanks Flapper

Now I'm really going to enjoy tasting this.
I'm puzzled why some are having trouble with the photo? When I open it up it comes large and clear.
Oh well; doesn't change the flavor.
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-08-15 12:53 PM (#18593 - in reply to #18560)

Admin

In the "Stoops Dictionary for Sailors" the terms "share" and "that's mine mutha... fu...a"  are one in the same! 
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-08-15 12:57 PM (#18594 - in reply to #18587)

Admin

Subject: RE: Thanks Flapper

Jackson died a short time ago... he wrote about anything and everything that was brewed or distilled.  He was without political leanings (given his route in life, he was likely unaware that people came up with silly things like politics, parties, left, right, moderate, yadda yadda yadda....) and wrote about what he loved best.  Few of us do what we want each and every day in life.  Precious few of us do that AND make a living at it.  Michael Jackson was one that pulled it off... and did so with class.
Sargosailor
Posted 2008-08-15 1:43 PM (#18595 - in reply to #18594)

Senior Crew

Michael Jackson???? THE Michael Jackson???? Class?????? Surely you jest.
Sammy
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-08-15 11:17 PM (#18618 - in reply to #18595)

Admin

Michael Jackson... aka, the "beer hunter"... no, no jesting??
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software