Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "The Turkish skipper of ex-USS Tang, when asked about the difference between the German designed and built replacement boats for their retiring ex-US boats, is reported to have said, "American submarines are built for war, German submarines are built for export."
Please keep Miss Doris Faber in your Prayers
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-08-15 3:14 PM (#18600)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Please keep Miss Doris Faber in your Prayers

She's what we used to refer to as old maids, spinsters, maiden ladies and what she refers to as "an unclaimed blessing". Last week they found very aggressive cancer cells in four lympth nodes and she's taking chemo twice a week. She has no family and is scared to death. She keeps asking me, "Am I going to die?" "Darlin' my medical credentials begin and end with drinking Dr. Pepper...I have no idea...stop asking people who have no expertise in curing cancer to predict your future. The bastards have no basis to make a valid prognosis. There's nothing worse than seeking medical advice from women who think WOMAN'S DAY and FAMILY CIRCLE are medical journals." I need to establish one thing once and for all...My job is taking care of her and NOT getting in her bloomers...I'm probably the most flawed instrument God could have laid this on. It is too damn soon after I was pencilled in on the heavenly WATCH, QUARTERS AND STATION BILL in cancer care taking for my dear sweet blue-eyed Norwegian. My job is holding her when she needs to be held and feel a caring human heart on the other side of her blouse buttons...needs to cry and be reassured by a BS recitation of survival rates, advancements in cancer research, procedure, techniques and her odds to cross the finishline standing up. I go over and feed her extremely overweight worthless housebound cats...both of them are the size of Greyhound buses. I get to feed her, do her laundry, provide soap, shower caps, fresh washcloths and towels and tuck her in at night. She stays in the guest bedroom and seems to get perverse enjoyment out of telling me how damn bad I snore because I sleep two bedrooms away. As I say....there was nobody else in the "tag, you're it." game but me....and one thing being a smokeboat sailor taught me...."Submariners take care of each other, cause There's Nobody Else To Do It." When the Big Guy in the Sky spun the big roulette wheel for Doris...all the numbers were mine." Pray for her...She truly believes in the power of divine intercession and the protection and insulation from life's evil things...Take time and pencil Miss Doris E. Faber in on your "pray for people" watch list...Bless you...DEX
Stoops
Posted 2008-08-15 3:26 PM (#18604 - in reply to #18600)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Please keep Miss Doris Faber in your Prayers

I don't think Miss Doris could have a better friend at this time in her life...You will probably never know how much she appreciates you being there.....She will be in our prayers. Give her our love and tell her she's got a whole fleet of submariners pulling for her......

Don Gentry
Posted 2008-08-15 3:32 PM (#18605 - in reply to #18600)

Admin

Thank you Dex... is there an address where we might send cards?
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-08-15 9:55 PM (#18611 - in reply to #18600)

Great Sage of the Sea

dex armstrong - 2008-08-15 1:14 PM

...I'm probably the most flawed instrument God could have laid this on. It is too damn soon after I was pencilled in on the heavenly WATCH, QUARTERS AND STATION BILL in cancer care taking for my dear sweet blue-eyed Norwegian. My job is holding her when she needs to be held and feel a caring human heart on the other side of her blouse buttons...needs to cry and be reassured by a BS recitation of survival rates, advancements in cancer research, procedure, techniques and her odds to cross the finishline standing up. I go over and feed her extremely overweight worthless housebound cats...both of them are the size of Greyhound buses. I get to feed her, do her laundry, provide soap, shower caps, fresh washcloths and towels and tuck her in at night. She stays in the guest bedroom and seems to get perverse enjoyment out of telling me how damn bad I snore because I sleep two bedrooms away. As I say....there was nobody else in the "tag, you're it." game but me....and one thing being a smokeboat sailor taught me...."Submariners take care of each other, cause There's Nobody Else To Do It." When the Big Guy in the Sky spun the big roulette wheel for Doris...all the numbers were mine." Pray for her...She truly believes in the power of divine intercession and the protection and insulation from life's evil things...Take time and pencil Miss Doris E. Faber in on your "pray for people" watch list...Bless you...DEX

Dex, I think HE picked you because HE knew you were more qualified to stand that watch than almost anybody else available. You know what she's going to need, and how to provide it for her.

As to "reassuring B.S...." seems to me you are one of the finest purveyors of same that I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. Tell her some of your sea stories, they say laughter is good medicine.

I think I said a few weeks ago when you first asked, be assured that God is holding both of you in His hands, providing all the Strength and Love and Grace you need. And all of us here are adding our prayers and thoughts to your efforts.

Stay well, and please keep us informed.

Donald L. Johnson
Chaplain, FRA Lemoore Br. 261

JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-08-16 12:17 AM (#18620 - in reply to #18611)

Master and Commander

Dex:
Just because I may not answer, or may not post some witty remark here, doesn't mean I don't care. More than not it's because I don't know what to say, or how to give comfort. Rest assured you and Miss Doris are in my thoughts and prayers. My standard answer to posts like this is just a trite "Wood knocked, Fingers crossed, Prayers sent." Sometimes that's saying a mouthful.

Jon
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-08-16 2:41 AM (#18622 - in reply to #18605)

Master and Commander

Don Gentry - 2008-08-15 4:32 PM

Thank you Dex... is there an address where we might send cards?

Don: I'll crank up the binnacle list and get some cards sent. Looks like we can send them c/o Dex at his address.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software