Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "There is a touch of the pirate about every man who wears the dolphins badge" - Commander Jeff Tall, RN
USSVI National Commander - Elections
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Don Gentry
Posted 2008-08-15 3:19 PM (#18601)

Admin

Subject: USSVI National Commander - Elections

While I appreciate the lack of political posts on this bbs, I must break my own "rules" for a moment and say that I fully support Patrick Householder for National Commander of USSVI - afterall, it is OUR organization and politics should NOT be in the driver's seat.  Pat's opponent is as formidable as they come: Gumba, aka John Carcioppolo who has established himself in our community in the finest fashion and his reputation for "getting things done" arrives 24 hrs before his plane lands.  The truth is, we have the luxury of having a "I can't friggin' go wrong" kind of election this year.  But I submit that Patrick is the "west coast version" of Gumba for those of you that identify your post-service days with John C.  Pat and Ric Hedman got me into USSVI and although due to my working hours having changed late such that I cannot make most meetings, they have not treated me any differently than when I was a meeting regular.

Patrick lives and breathes USSVI and when he lost his bride so recently, I was eternally grateful that USSVI was there to give him a compass in the darkest of storms.  Pat's calm demeanor and sense of reason is valuable in an environment that routinely finds itself in stormy seas afloat with pointing fingers.  He is a formidable adversary for sure... but his levelheadedness is a tie-breake in most arguments. 

I must readily admit that I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Gumba and I look forward to the day that I can throw down a bowl of chili at the unquestionably coolest sub-club-house on the planet - with shipmate Gumba guiding the way... but for now, I must go with what I know... and that we cannot find a  more dedicated shipmate than Patrick Householder... end of story.

Pleaaaaasssse do not use this thread to post pro/con posts about USSVI... I'd be most grateful if we can limit this to grown-up discussions about our USSVI future (for those of you that are members).  Many sincere thanks for that.

Gumba... I apologize if you are offended by this post... but please know that i *AM* a huge member of YOUR fan club and would vote for you in a heartbeat in other circumstances.... you have done SO much for the submarine community that we can never repay the debt.

Two choices... two fine men.... you GOTTA love it!

Tom Conlon: Hand salute shipmate........... two!  Awesome leadership my friend! You will be missed~~

Don (just one vote)

p.s. - I will separately post bio's for both candidates... feel free to fire off questions to them here!

Don Gentry
Posted 2008-08-15 3:21 PM (#18602 - in reply to #18601)

Admin

Subject: Gumba - John Carcioppolo

USSVI Shipmates,

My name is John “Gumba” Carcioppolo. I’ve been a member of USSVI Groton Base since 1981. I’m also a member of Cyberspace, Long Island, Lockwood Internet, and Wyoming Bases and I am presently serving as the USSVI Eastern Region Director (ERD).

I am a candidate for National Commander (NC) in the upcoming USSVI National Elections.

I am seeking your support and your vote to win the election for USSVI National Commander. I want to be the NC not so I can be some one’s boss. But so that I can help lead USSVI by working with both your local leadership team and the National leadership teams to help USSVI be a better organization and I will commit to you to do the best job I possibly can.

I have over 22 years in a variety of challenging leadership positions between the Navy, and USSVI. My experience from being a member of USSVI for over 26 years, have given me the experience necessary to do the job as your NC. I have the best interests of USSVI as an organization as my primary focal point. I have the qualifications required to help USSVI continue to excel, and grow. My demonstrated history of success within USSVI, and proven performance as the Groton Base CDR, and the ERD are an indication that I will have the very best interests of USSVI at heart at the National level.

USSVI is an elite organization. Because of our Submariners Dolphins, we stand above other Veterans organizations. We are about remembering, Submarine Force Heritage and CAMARADERIE. I am very committed to continually improving USSVI through teamwork at all levels.

Our organization has great potential. I am extremely proud of my association with USSVI, USSV WWII, the Submarine Force and our rich heritage.  Our creed is our purpose and guidance, and our way of life. I try to live up to our creed in all that I do, and I will use these values to do my job as your National Commander.

Some of my qualifications and accomplishments are as follows:

• Served as the Base Commander for Groton Base from 1998 – 2007.

• Established the USSVI Base Commander Group to improve the functionality of Base Commanders, and improve communications in our organization in 1998 and served as the Chairman from 1998 – 2000.

• ERD from 2006 – present. Improved communications and efficiency of the Bases in Eastern Region.

• Served as a member of the USSVI C&B rewrite committee from 2006 – Present.

• Naming of U.S. SUBVETS WWII Memorial Bridge and U.S. SUBVETS Memorial Highway

• Increased Membership at Groton Base from 400 members to over 2400 members.

• Avid supporter of the SUBLANT Sailor of the Year program.

• Established a liaison between USSVI and Submarine School in several successful programs which preserve our rich Submarine Force history including the Tolling of the Boats at all graduations.

• Established positive relations with members of the U.S. SUBVETS WWII, resulting in many members joining USSVI. They have also transferred the care and maintenance of their Memorial to the care of Groton Base.

• Support to the community through the establishment of the Thanksgiving dinner for Single Sailors, and the Caring and Sharing program for holiday meals. This program feeds over 850 people, and raises over $12K in donations each year.

• Developed working relationships between the Submarine Force Library and Museum (SFML) and USSVI. Established a Docent Program that benefits both USSVI, and the SFML, and was recently elected to the Board of Directors for the SFLM.

• Established meaningful ceremonies to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice, and for those we honor by induction into the HOLLAND CLUB.

• Received the National Commanders Robert Link Award in 2002; the distinguished Joe Negri Award in 2003; and recently nominated for the USSVI Ben Bastura award. Groton Base received the Golden Anchor for its programs in 2004. I was also nominated for the Spirit of Bob Hope Award in 2007.

• Maintains positive relations with numerous Submariners on Active duty. 

I’m not going to make promises of what I will do if I am elected National Commander. I will however commit to you to work hard using; teamwork and effective communications to lead USSVI as you National Commander, and help both USSVI and the USSVCF grow and improve. I would be honored to serve the membership of USSVI as National Commander. With your support and vote I can help USSVI to continue to succeed and grow and to help USSVI become the organization of choice for those who have earned the Dolphins of the U.S. Submarine Force.

STRAIGHT BOARD! Respectfully and Fraternally,

John Carcioppolo, Eastern Region Director

Don Gentry
Posted 2008-08-15 3:23 PM (#18603 - in reply to #18601)

Admin

Subject: Patrick Householder

The purpose of this is to tell you why I am running for National Commander, what my philosophy is, and what my goals are.  In the process of telling this story, “I” appears frequently, but the truth is I have had much support and assistance from many shipmates in all these things, and without that support ‘my’ accomplishments would be very thin indeed.

I have maintained a strong interest in the sub force throughout my adult life and joined USSVI when I became aware of its existence in 1999.    My first convention was in Reno ’99 and after attending the various functions and talking with many shipmates, I thought that I might be able to make some positive contributions to help USSVI become a better organization for us all.

My elected path in USSVI is this: 1999-2002: VC Seattle Base, 2002-2004:  BC Seattle Base, 2002-2004: National Secretary, 2004-2008: Nat’l Jr. Vice Commander. 

I served as Seattle Base SK, Webmaster & Newsletter Editor for several years.  I am also a member of Lockwood Internet and South Sound bases.  From 2000 to 2007 I served as a National Office volunteer, preparing and mailing over 8,000 “Welcome Aboard” packages.

I’ve served as your Nat’l calendar editor for three years in collaboration with Chuck Senior, and assisted Ric Hedman and Jim Rolle in that task prior to that time.  This effort has netted USSVI nearly $50,000 these past three years.  As your national membership chairman, I’ve worked hard with the Region Directors, District Commanders and Base Officers to reduce the annual non-renewal rate.  The effort has paid off with increased retention each year. 

Working with then CTO Don Gentry, we designed and saw to the implementation of our first online voting system in 2004.  It increased our national voting turnout over 10% of previous elections and saved USSVI over $1,000 in mailing costs. 

I developed the concept of an online membership database and worked closely with Tim VeArd, Fred Borgmann, Gil Shaddock, and various bases officers; a collaboration that led to the establishment of our online Database system.  I continue to manage this system, working constantly with Base users throughout the country.   Working with Tim, we redesigned and created a new and comprehensive national website presence including an online directory feature for our member’s exclusive access so that we can find our shipmates from our days in the boats.  As a result, both the bases and the national office have a far better control over member records than ever before.

I have authored numerous Proposed Amendments to improve our Constitution and Bylaws, and with five other shipmates recently participated in a committee charged with a complete review and overhaul of our C&B, which will be on the 2008 ballot for your approval.  

As your liaison with SVWWII, I work closely with their President as we plan for the day when USSVI must, of necessity, assume their functions.  We have achieved a historic connection due to this work.  It has been my honor to be selected for both for the Robert Link and Joe Negri awards, as well as Seattle Base Shipmate of the Year.

I have a strong personal interest in seeing to the proper preservation of those submarines on public display, and have met with managers and sub vet volunteers at most of them, trying to establish better communications and working arrangements between both sides.  Our interests do not perfectly mesh, but we can certainly work together where our interests coincide.

My philosophy is that USSVI only exists to serve the interests of our members.  The elected officers and Committee Chairmen all work together to benefit the membership.  Our Constitution and Bylaws provide a framework through which all Bases are interconnected and provide the ‘rules of the road’ for operations at all levels.  So long as the requirements of the C&B are met, the individual Bases have the freedom to customize their operations to meet the local needs of their membership. 

We are a mostly civilian association of submariners no longer active and there no longer exists any ‘chain of command’ in the military sense.   The USSVI officers are more advisors, mentors and facilitators, providing leadership and sharing knowledge through good example and persuasion.  I am a strong advocate of working together, information sharing and openness.  Listening is as important as talking.  Only by working together can we develop our organization into a more enjoyable and meaningful experience for us all.

My objective is to promote greater fraternity, raise the public awareness of USSVI, grow the membership and introduce positive change by working to help the Bases to achieve their goals of being more effective in meeting the needs and interests of their members.   I also have a strong interest in supporting our Sub Vet Charitable Foundation, because I believe we all have had a ‘hand up’ in our lives and now it is time for us to ‘pay it forward’.   

If you share my values and agree with my goals, I ask for your vote and your active support so that we, together, can build a better and more satisfying USSVI.  No one man can do it all, but “together we can” make a difference.

Fraternally

Patrick Householder

USSVI Nat’l Jr. Vice Cdr

USS Chopper (SS 342) Q:1962

Ric
Posted 2008-08-15 7:22 PM (#18608 - in reply to #18601)

Plankowner

Subject: Pat or Gumba?????

I have already made my choice many weeks ago when the voting was first announced.

I know both men and have sloshed down many a non-alcoholic brew while sitting at the bar in the "club house" and chatting with John and many others while I was "back east" It was real pleasure and felt I got to know the character of the man. Hard to find a more dedicated person. A fine National Commander he would make.

I have known Pat since the very early days of the Seattle Base and the organization still survives reflecting many of his guiding tenets and programs despite mine and several others tenure as base commanders. That is how good a ground work Pat laid in place. I know he will, like wise, make an excellent National Commander if chosen.

A tough year for decisions this time.

Ric

Stoops
Posted 2008-08-15 8:00 PM (#18609 - in reply to #18601)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: USSVI National Commander - Elections

Oh yeah, we're supposed to be encouraged by some old fat fart in a grass skirt with no apparent shame dancing around with one slut and an incredibly handsome Texan! You gotta be kidding me, Fatso!

I'm gonna vote for the least ugly and that lets you out, silly boy!
Ric
Posted 2008-08-15 8:46 PM (#18610 - in reply to #18609)

Plankowner

You have that wrong Stoops, I'm not from Texas at all. Everyone knows the best looking guys are from Washington State...!!!!! You even had to stuff your own money in yer bra to impress .....???? who??????...!!!

There goes the grown part of the thread....
Flapper
Posted 2008-08-15 10:32 PM (#18612 - in reply to #18610)

Master and Commander

Subject: So...

... it comes down to a cat fight between several Bash Girls?
All I know is that anybody who can't tap dance is queer!
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-08-15 11:13 PM (#18616 - in reply to #18610)

Admin

Ric... the luckiest day you ever had was being photographed with Stoops in the same frame... that act alone made your ugliness tolerable to the masses simply by comparison. Not thanks to Stoops being in the photo, cats (and poodles) will forever hide under sofas, end tables, and just about any dark corner available!

Now if you are looking to establish the TRUE source of hot-blooded, excruciatingly handsome men, then look no further than my hometown of Detroit! Don't believe me??? Just ask Doc Gardner! And... hey, hey, hey... we BOTH look GREAT in a skirt baby!!!!
Ric
Posted 2008-08-15 11:36 PM (#18619 - in reply to #18616)

Plankowner

So..... you going to show up for the Tolling Of The Boats tomorrow? .........or do we have to come and get you????????????????
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-08-16 12:38 AM (#18621 - in reply to #18619)

Master and Commander

3 things, and then I'll shut up on this.
1. Flapper: the correct quote is "any SUBMARINER who can't tap dance is queer." I can't tap dance, but then what do you expect from a Minesweep sailor?
2. As a Minesweep sailor, and one who has been allowed to play in your sandbox, I can't vote in any USSVI elections. But as an outside observer looking in, the race between Pat Householder and Gumba Carcioppolo is a flip of the coin. It's a "heads I win, tails I win" situation. Both are eminently qualified, and I don't envy the USSVI membership on this election. It will be hard to make a choice between these two Gentlemen.
3. I also have a picture of the 3 Bash Bitche ... Uh, I mean 3 Bash Lovelies. I put it up whenever and wherever the ants start coming into the house, and for some reason, it drives the ants, (and I might also add, cockroaches, and mice) away. Strange. I haven't figured out how it does that, but you can't argue with success.

Love and kisses
Runner485
Posted 2008-08-16 5:40 AM (#18623 - in reply to #18610)

COMSUBBBS

Listen you two. When the photo of youse was posted in grass skirt & coconuts, it was enough to make grown men cry. Or as Forest Gump would have said; "Momma said, ugly is, as ugly does." Now I have no idea what that profound statement means....other than having had a few too many in some far flung port of call, I did run into a few beasties such as yerselves....& thought in a drunken stupor, how pretty they were.

Been off the sauce since then!  
Tom McNulty
Posted 2008-08-16 6:30 AM (#18625 - in reply to #18601)

Master and Commander

I have to agree that this election is a no lose for the organization. Being East Coast I'm nore familiar with John's great dedication and work on bahlaf of the whole submarine community. What I know about Pat is from reading the BBS and the USSVI information in all it's formats. He's a great choice and if we had a dedication contest it would be a draw.

Now for the silly section of this thread. I met both Dave and Ric at the first Torsk Work Weekend I attended. If you saw both of those two mild mannered gentlemen together, the photo of them dressed to the rediculous seems out of context. Maybe they were just shy at the Torsk or Dave's wife intimidated he and Ric. I mean they were perfect gentlemen even showing respect to Joe when the told him to jump up in the air so they could kiss him on the lips.

Back to the elections. I hope everyone does vote. The best way to applaud both candidates is to have a record turn out election.
Ric
Posted 2008-08-16 6:46 AM (#18626 - in reply to #18625)

Plankowner

Tom, but you missed the best part. Ol'Gaot just loved the hell out of us. He took one look at Dave and I got all horny. He must have thought he'd died and gone to an Olongopo whore house..... Gentry was still trying to figure out what side was up with his nuts... er.. Coconuts...... (ps:90% of my .er.. cantilever.. is now gone due to dancing)

crystal
Posted 2008-08-16 7:05 AM (#18627 - in reply to #18601)

Master and Commander

As the one who set up Ol'Goat, and took the picture, I can guaran-double damn-tee that the two of you were the MOST ugly of the Bash Girls, sweet pea Don on the other hand (God this is sicko!)...
Ric
Posted 2008-08-16 7:12 AM (#18629 - in reply to #18627)

Plankowner

Thanks John... I couldn't remember who took the pic but I knew it wasn't the really ugly one.. LOL...

(....but, ain't it FUN!!!!!!!!!)
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-08-16 10:26 AM (#18635 - in reply to #18629)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: USSVI National Commander - Elections...WELL...

This thread went to hell in a hand basket very quickly!!! That is the only pix I didn't have for the "Rogue's Gallery"...!!! Who let Hedman at the dictionary again...he's coming up with these $.50 words again...Dave...did you send him a new one...Don, ya gotta keep a better watch on him!!!

Edited by miss lumpy bumps 2008-08-16 10:32 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software