Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I don't know why we have to be down here on this hold down exercise(at the 60th hour). Hell, I went through this on the Thresher (SS 200) during WW ll with a Nip Sea Going Tug hooked onto our screw guards, trying to lift our butts out of the water. They didn't get us then, and these Tin Cans (ours) ain't going to get us now." -- "Hambone" Hamilton SD1 (SS). "Hambone" made 13 war patrols on USS Remora, SS-487, uttered these words in July 1957 during a hold down exercise off Kobe Japan.
Gallant Lady
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2008-08-16 6:04 AM (#18624)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Gallant Lady

For a long time I have heard of the book Gallant Lady but never got the chance to get it until now.

I just had the pleasure of finishing Ken Henry & Don Keith's book Gallant Lady and if you haven't read it yet by all means get it. It is a wonderful book. It's related in a language we all understand. The chapter, Kenny Woods and his Sixty Thieves; left me rolling on the floor, tears in my eyes and waiting to see if these guys are ever gonna get caught. It was as if I was sitting in the after battery, listening to one "no s**tter" after another. I couldn't catch my breath it was that funny. But it also showed just what a dedicated bunch of thieves could do to get their boat out of drydock and operational.

Now I heard many years ago the story about the goat. This story has it's own chapter, rightfully so. It;'s as funny now as it was then. Watching in my minds eye Joe Osio pushing the goat from behind, up the after engineroom ladder and being s**t on by said goat, was enough continue the tears of laughter rolling down my face. The stories of them in the yards in, I think '61 and stealing the anchor and chain from the Conger.....amoungst other items both large and small.

The entier book is fantastic story, from her commissioning to her many de-comms and to her final chapter. Ya gotta read it. You'll be glad you did!

In another lifetime while on Sirago we got a new man on board. He was a qual'ed SN, who was on Acherfish during her trip to Australia. He was asked how come he never made rate. And he said he was too busy having sex and didn't have time to study, and proceded to regale us with stories of time spent in Perth. That was my first knowledge of the world cruise of Archerfish. I thought it was just another "sea story" but found out much late it was true.....
Pig
Posted 2008-08-16 1:22 PM (#18642 - in reply to #18624)
Plankowner

Subject: RE: Gallant Lady

Thanks Joe...you made my day... it was a great ride! Wish we could have used all the stories. As you can imagin, the editors didn't like the ones I thought were funny. If you go to the Archefish website... http://www.ussarcherfish.com you can see the pictures of the goat in the engine room, after room, and crew's mess.
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-08-16 2:49 PM (#18644 - in reply to #18624)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Gallant Lady

Joe, You hit the nail square on the head...I have bought at least 20 for friends and I have read it four times. I have a friend who is a guest lurker on this board. He was either riding Cubera or Chivo, when Archerfish pulled into the yard in Philladelphia and stole his boat blind...He said Ali Baba only had forty thieves...He said from the amount of stuff that turned up missing, Archerfish had eighty and had at least fifty subcontract crooks hauling thrir plunder off to secret stashes. Joe has it absolutely right...GREAT READ...Right now I am in my fourth reading of DEPTHS OF COURAGE...another one that deserves multiple readings. It's WWII as seen through Warshots memories, lasting impressions and great observations...terriffic boks by two men who ACTUALLY experienced the things they write about. We old guys need to support these two fine Dolphin holders for getting it all down on paper. Joe has it right...you miss either of these books and you need to have your butt kicked. DEXS
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software