Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS SEAWOLF join the Electric Boat built USS NAUTILUS and SKATE in writing new chapters in the achievements of man when the nuclear powered submarine came to the surface at 11:45 a.m. on October 6, 1958 after being continuously submerged for 60 days.
An Expression of Heartfelt Appreciation
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-08-22 7:18 AM (#18852)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: An Expression of Heartfelt Appreciation

I don't want to start boring people, but I need to update you on Doris...but first, I'm not worth a damn at being able to say THANK YOU comenserate with the generosity of the gesture or gift. But I want to say THANK YOU to all of you who sent cards to Doris. I sat with her when she opened each one. First she was absolutely amazed that people she had never met would show her that kind of kindness, The ones who stated that she was in their prayers or on church prayer lists brought tears to her eyes, Doris is deeply committed to her faith and the fact that people were taking time on her behalf to include her in their prayers was extremely meaningful to her and as I have said, appreciated beyond my ability to describe the level of joy created. Now for the good news. The Chemo Oncologist told her yesterday that her previously extremely aggressive tumor (described as the size of a tangerine at the point of discovery) shows signs of shrinkage. (Seems kind of fast to me, but we'll take any good news the Doc serves up) The drill, as I understand it...is to,"decrese the size...establish clear margins...then the surgeon is going to go in and carve it out and remove all the cancerous lympth nodes." That is the extent of my understanding. Again, Bless all of you who have taken the time to send her cards. DEX
MAD DOG
Posted 2008-08-22 7:41 AM (#18854 - in reply to #18852)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: An Expression of Heartfelt Appreciation

Dex,It's good to hear that Doris is doing better.
Hopefully,with good friends like you,the support of the brotherhood of the 'phin,
The "Chemowizzard" and the man upstairs,she'll beat this thing and be up and
dancing soon.Good on ya Dex.Doris..........YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DOG
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-08-22 8:15 AM (#18859 - in reply to #18852)

COMSUBBBS

I'm not doing that much...I just got pencilled in on the WATCH, QUARTERS and STATION BILL...for the Doris Watch. Hey, I'm retired...as I tell folks, "I've got nothing between me and the loading dock at the funeral home"....I figure when I wake up with a mouthful of embalming fluid, I won't have to make my bed that morning." The tough thing for me right now, is that the memories of my wife's unsuccessful battle with this insidious stuff are too fresh....I feel like someone being forced to sit through a really bad movie for another two showings. I just woke up one day and opened up one of God's fortune cookies and the little slip in it read..."Take time out from your loafing bastard routine and help Doris out." She's a truly good and derserving person. Any man who failed her in her current hour of need would have to be one heartless sonuvabitch...Sometimes lonely people only need a hand to hold offered by someone willing to walk side-by-side with them during the journey through unfamiliar territory...someone to hold them and reassure them during the dark and scary parts and let them know that they aren't in this thing by themselves. That's my job....If she reaches the point where, like Solveig...she has to be carried into the chemo appt place, that Boys and Girls is going to be really rough. DEX
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-08-22 8:23 AM (#18860 - in reply to #18852)

COMSUBBBS

Dex,

The power of prayer and faith IS just that...powerful...and most of the time it is "blind faith", but faith none the less...as is the "friendship" born from strangers...and this community is not lacking in neither. We don't ask anything in return, except that God looks over her and the person that is conveying her message back to all of us. As stated in answer to another post, the miracle of this contraption, outweighs any negativity that is born of it. We are able to learn...both good and bad...about so many things...and take what we have learned and put it to good use...hopefully.

The prayers will keep coming...and the cards, too.

Ya done good, shipmate!

Edited by miss lumpy bumps 2008-08-22 8:24 AM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-22 8:45 AM (#18863 - in reply to #18852)
COMSUBBBS

Good on ya Dex with helping Doris thru some rough stuff. Prayers continue for her and also for you, Shipmate, to weather thru these storms you have encountered and some rough seas ahead. I've seen and heard many times that prayer works, so, hang in there both of yas.
Roy Ator
Posted 2008-08-22 8:44 PM (#18896 - in reply to #18852)

Great Sage of the Sea

Hey DEX, just keep on keeping on. Your concern and care for Doris is commendable to say the least. A couple of days ago (Wednesday) I took my lovely bride of 52 years to an 'urgent care' facility in Orlando for an unrelated problem. It was her eightieth birthday. She has been a cancer patient for more than twenty three years. I fully understand what it is all about. She has been on a formula through a G-tube for more than a decade due to squamos cell carcinoma (oral). I had the pleasure of replacing it last week. It's just a bit more complicated than changing a diaper. We are pleased to be back home!
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-08-23 6:27 AM (#18898 - in reply to #18852)

COMSUBBBS

Roy, Thanks...GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU...There's no one I respect more than you and Robin....I too have been dogged by cancer my entire life...Mother death due to breast cancer 1950, Father to "general cancer" 1967....bride cervical and ovarian cancer 2005....Sister is a three year cancer survivor,....and now a 42year family friend 74 year old Miss Doris Faber is fighting the damn stuff. I too, know this nasty rascal very well...not that I have had any choice. This is the second oppoprtunity I have had to draw on the support from the wonderful men and lovely women of the submarine community. When my dear blue eyed Norwegian was in her desperate battle (that she ultimately lost) the submariners walked me through it...and many SubVets showed up at her memorial service at Arlington National Cemetery.....I will go from here until I get issued my pine peacoat very grateful to my wonderful shipomates who walked me through it with a guiding hand on my shoulder and especially Wynn, Raynor, Roche, Stone, Warshot, Martini, Householder, Krup, and especially Bruce "The Underwater Fan Mechanic" Miller. After she died, John Wynn got me up and moving in his typical subtle and diplomatic way...he took a large piece of lumber and beat hell outta me to get me back to pulling my plow. Please relay my sincere best wishes to your dear bride and tell her I will keep her in both my heart and prayers. (At this point in my life, my list of folks to pray for is a lot like the length of a tolling of the boats.) Thanks to all of you out there who have sent cards and have included dear Doris in your prayers and rememberences. Tell Robin seeing her in that orange two-piece would be a real morale boost...DEX
docbeeghly
Posted 2008-08-23 8:00 AM (#18901 - in reply to #18852)
Senior Crew

Dex, Ask and you shall receive: The Brat is special to a lot of us here.
The Beagle doc

(Robin.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Robin.jpg (35KB - 676 downloads)
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-08-24 3:59 AM (#18934 - in reply to #18852)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Doc,,,SEND JUMPER CABLES...QUICK

Doc, Your post stopped my pacemaker...send jumper cables. I'm an old coot...the old ticker can't take that level of shock. I had to stick my finger in a light socket to get the contraption kickstrarted again. W-O-W....Now that's a well wrapped package. DEX
docbeeghly
Posted 2008-08-24 4:54 AM (#18935 - in reply to #18852)
Senior Crew

Well Dex, that would probably be a better pix if it was me she had that right arm wrapped around, but I couldnt make that Bash.
The beagle doc
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software