Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Again I ask, who really are our Hero’s? They are the men who have, since the first day of our great country, left their families and friends and gone to war asking for nothing and giving all." -- Gary Walker
When did this happen
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2008-08-22 7:25 AM (#18853)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: When did this happen

The other night a guy I grew up with in NYC & lived in the same building as me, called to wish me a happy birthday. He reached the same age 20 days prior. Among the things we discussed, was this phenomena called aging.

Do you remember when you were 12 or 14 or 17 years old when time seemed to creep when you wanted it to go fast so you can say you were.......(enter your own boyhood wish here). When summer vacations were so long that you kinda wished the school year would start so you can see all the other kids you knew from the neighborhood that you didn't see all summer.

When you finished high school and most kids back then pushed up their draft or joined a branch of the service, mainly to get away from where ever it was that you sick of. Nothing to do, boring, same old people, with the same old dramas.

It was at that point I think, that something changed. All of a sudden you didn't have something like being able to drink, legally because you are 21 and legal. Your time in the service is almost up. You get married. You start having kids. The lucky ones went to college before they started down the
family road.

The next thing you know is you turn forty! What the hell happened to thirty?

Before you know it you have 25 years with the same company. Your getting 4 weeks vacation and don't have enough money to get away those 4 weeks. Because of college tuition's.

Your daughter announces she is getting engaged to that surly SOB down the block that your certain is a drug pushing long haired freak. Now he's gonna be your son-in-law. Gohdamn!

Your sons get jobs, move out on their own and before you know it, you and your wife are empty nesters, which feels pretty good. At first. Then you begin to get lonely for the kids company. But they're busy building their own lives of friends and family's. You turn 50.

Grandkids come along. And to your amazement they are a great joy to be around. You dote on them and spoil the hell out of them.

Next thing you know is your ready to retire. You sell the house you've been living in for 34 years and move to another state. Close enough to the grandkids so you can visit whenever you want.

Then you old buddy calls you up and wishes you a happy 67th birthday. Calls you an old phart and you both wonder, where did that time go.
Scrivener
Posted 2008-08-22 7:45 AM (#18855 - in reply to #18853)
Senior Crew

Subject: RE: When did this happen

Excellent essay.
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-08-22 8:10 AM (#18857 - in reply to #18853)

COMSUBBBS

WHAT HE SAID, JOE...ya sure know how to bring a tear to an old girl's eye...HEY WAIT A MINUTE...I ain't an old girl...YET...but I do know how you feel...now if I could just get my son's other foot out the door...I, personally,
relish what time we have left here in NY. Garry and I do plan on making a move...to where, we are not sure of...
but with all of the kids in the same general vicinity and our grandson growing up so fast (it seems like just yesterday that he was laying helpless in that incubator) and with our "new grandkids", we have tried to squeeze in as much time as possible with all of them.

Ya know, I look back, and don't ever remember my parents saying what they were feeling when I left for the first time, but then again, that was a different generation...they were the stoic, strong and closed mouth generation...
and it's only because of the miracle of technology that "we", who congregate here, have such freedom to talk amongst ourselves about our daily lives and seek out those of our generation to compare notes. There are days when I want to throw this thing out the window, but then I think, the advantages to having it outweigh all the negativity that can be spewed from it's wires.

OK, I shall now return to my cave...have a good day, Folks!!!

JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-08-22 10:41 AM (#18869 - in reply to #18853)

Master and Commander

I AM AMAZED! Nobody took the hint.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOE!
Tom McNulty
Posted 2008-08-22 10:55 AM (#18870 - in reply to #18853)

Master and Commander

Happy birthday Joe. Gee, and I thought I was the only one with those ideas. Time fleets by now and the Summer I barley got used to is about to be gone. It's the cruelest irony of life. Joe, if you're a VFW member the annual oyster roast in Ocean View is Oct. 18th. It's a good one. Trying to decide whether to go to it or celebrate my Grandaughter's birthday in Dagsboro. Yeah, like I had a choice.
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-08-22 11:38 AM (#18871 - in reply to #18853)

COMSUBBBS

OH, BROTHER WAS THAT AN "OOOPS"...I think I will have to revise my previous statement...about getting old...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOE!
Flapper
Posted 2008-08-22 11:47 AM (#18873 - in reply to #18870)

Master and Commander

Subject: You ALWAYS have a choice, tom!

Tom McNulty - 2008-08-22 11:55 AMHappy birthday Joe. Gee, and I thought I was the only one with those ideas. Time fleets by now and the Summer I barley got used to is about to be gone. It's the cruelest irony of life. Joe, if you're a VFW member the annual oyster roast in Ocean View is Oct. 18th. It's a good one. Trying to decide whether to go to it or celebrate my Grandaughter's birthday in Dagsboro. Yeah, like I had a choice.

Of course, we leave it to you to make the wise decision.

'And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.'

['Ripple', Robert Hunter / Jerry Garcia]

Edited by Flapper 2008-08-22 11:49 AM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-22 11:49 AM (#18874 - in reply to #18853)
COMSUBBBS

Congrats, Joe and have a great day everyday, Birthdays???? At our ages who really counts them anymore?
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-08-23 7:37 PM (#18925 - in reply to #18874)

COMSUBBBS

I DO...I like knowing I am still alive and still kicking...and can look to the future, I hope, of peaceful retirement.
...and I have no problem "telling" how old I am...if you look at my avatar, that should give everyone a REALLY
BIG HINT!!!
fritz
Posted 2008-08-27 8:48 AM (#19089 - in reply to #18853)

Crew

Last Tuesday morning, while having my orange juice for breakfast, my lovely wife comes over to me, plants a kiss on me, then says, "Honey, you don't look a day over 69. Happy Birthday!" Jeeesh!!
Land Lubber
Posted 2008-08-27 2:10 PM (#19103 - in reply to #18853)
Old Salt

I remember the fist thougt that I was getting old. I and some younger friends went to a bar one night. Upon our arrival the guy outside stated that everyone had to show ID to enter. My friends grumbled but I whipped out my wallet to obtain my ID. As I did this the man looked at me and said "It's ok SIR, you can go in".... Must have been my silver hair glowing in the rays of the streetlight. Oh well.....Steve
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-27 2:18 PM (#19104 - in reply to #18853)
COMSUBBBS

Geeezzz Fritz, 69 huh? Look out! I think she may want to "borrow" your credit card. Happy Birthday, Old Timer!!!!!!!!!! Don't look over your shoulder too closely. There are a bunch of us right behind ya.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software