Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: There are more airplanes at the bottom of the ocean than there are submarines in the sky; therefore I chose submarines over aviation.
Laurel & Hardy
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2008-08-23 1:32 PM (#18910)
Master and Commander

Subject: Laurel & Hardy

Turner Classic Movies is showing Laurel & Hardy flicks all day long. Two of my favorite silver screen comics.
Stoops
Posted 2008-08-23 2:49 PM (#18911 - in reply to #18910)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Laurel & Hardy

One of my favorite ones is where playing the trombone sets off the big one! Doc says for them to take a cruise, so they get a boat, not really intending to sail it anywhere. During the night, an armed convict sneaks aboard and a goat eats the painter letting the boat drift off to sea.....
Gil
Posted 2008-08-23 3:20 PM (#18915 - in reply to #18910)
Master and Commander

Dave, Rck

My favorite comedians and my favorite serial or movie - Saps at Sea --  I believe.  Also loved it when Stanley makes spaghetti using a mop and meatballs with a sponges an is forced to eat it.

Edited by Gil 2008-08-23 6:15 PM
whalen
Posted 2008-08-23 5:06 PM (#18916 - in reply to #18910)

Great Sage of the Sea

Sorry, can't read anymore of the BBS right now -- they're moving the piano up the stairs!!!
RCK
Posted 2008-08-23 5:42 PM (#18920 - in reply to #18916)
Master and Commander

whalen - 2008-08-23 5:06 PM

Sorry, can't read anymore of the BBS right now -- they're moving the piano up the stairs!!!

They won an Academey Award for that one!
Stoops
Posted 2008-08-23 6:00 PM (#18921 - in reply to #18915)
Master and Commander

Gil - 2008-08-23 3:20 PM

Dave, Rck

My favorite comedienes and my favorite serial or movie - Saps at Sea -- I believe. Also loved it when Stanley makes spaghetti with the mop and bacon I believe with ribbon and is forced to eat it.

That was it, Gil....the criminal, Big Nick, also has his gun, Little Nick and he tells L&H to fix him breakfast, so they plot the menu, but Big Nick sees what they are doing and makes Stan eat it.......Big Nick gets beat up when Stan starts playing the trombone.....and all is ok until they get into court and part of the proceedings involves stan playing the trombone whereupon he attacks the judge and they end up in jail, with, "Another fine fix you've gotten us into....."
Gil
Posted 2008-08-23 6:09 PM (#18922 - in reply to #18910)
Master and Commander

A few weeks ago at the local watering hole the subject came up of who'd you like growing up.  We finally got everyone bought into not talking politics or religion.

It appears among us we could like more than one but for the first three selections below we had one one clear definite choice. 

1.  Laurel and Hardy, the Three Stooges, or Abbot and Costello.  Easy for me as as I hardly ever wanted to watch the Three Stooges or Abbot and Costello.

2.  The Munsters or the Addams Family.  Despite the great cars of the Munsters I loved the Addams Family hands down.  I loved the way Gomez was crazy mad in love with Mortiicia.  Others in our group only liked the Munsters.

3. Gunsmoke or Bonanza -  I've eventually seen all the episodes of Bonanza, but Gunsmoke was my number one and is still hands down my favorite.

Western TV cowboys were more wide open to our waterhole group.  The ones some of us talked about were Lone Ranger, Rifleman, Wanted Dead or Alive, Hopalong Cassidy,  Have Gun - Will Travel, The Cisco Kid, and Annie Oakley.  I grew up liking them all,  along with others I can't remember here.  Recently I've seen episodes of the Lone Ranger and they don't hold up well.  Also I've seen Have Gun - Will Travel episodes and they still hold up well and they have the great IMO theme song.  Most of our group never saw these shows except as reruns, but their choices varied.

One other show nobody seemed to be mesmerized by but me was My Living Doll.  Bob Cummings starred and Julie Newmar played a robot who I could not get enough of.  Ms. Newmar took me from puberty to adolescence and made me aware that women had other things besides pretty faces-- she had some really incredible legs.

Anybody have any other favorites or can relate?

JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-08-23 6:44 PM (#18924 - in reply to #18922)

Master and Commander

For me at the time, ...
Laurel was a bully and Hardy was the only one who was actually trying to do "it" right.
Abbot was also a bully and an instigator, and Costello would have been better off without him.
The Stooges were obvious in the slapstick, and were acceptable in their nuttiness.

I agree Addams Family was much better than the Munster's, who were an imitation.

I occassionally watch a rerun of Gunsmoke and Bonanza. Thought they were great at the time, but with a few years of maturation under my belt (and hanging OVER my belt) I realize that Little Joe was pretty much a juvenile delinquent, Hoss was the buffoon who tried to do good, Adam was a womanizer, and "PA" Cartwright was anxious to throw his "Big rancher" weight around.

Gunsmoke was a bit more cerebral, but once Dennis Weaver left, the show was never the same.

If you remember the three Warner Bros. detective shows - 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye and Surfside 6, were all the same but in different cities. Same detectives, same foil, same tavern. It was a cheap way to use 1 script 3 times, fill 3 weekly time slots, put one over on the audience, and save money in the process. Peter Gunn rode in on their coattails.

Warner Bros. also brought out 3 cowboy shows at the same time - Cheyenne, Sugarfoot and ?________? (CRS) Same scripts, different cowboys.
MAD DOG
Posted 2008-08-23 9:24 PM (#18928 - in reply to #18924)

Master and Commander

Gunsmoke was a bit more cerebral, but once Dennis Weaver left, the show was never the same.

You got that right Jon.I often wonder why all of the currently playing Gunsmoke
reruns are post weaver(Chester) shows.(copyright feuds.perhaps?)

Edited by MAD DOG 2008-08-23 9:26 PM
Gil
Posted 2008-08-23 9:57 PM (#18930 - in reply to #18928)
Master and Commander

Dave,

Sorry for the very late notice, but Saps at Seas airs at 12

:30 am left coast time Sunday.

Gil
Posted 2008-08-23 10:04 PM (#18931 - in reply to #18928)
Master and Commander

I liked Dennis Weaer at the time and thought he was irreplaceable, but IMO he wasn't.  I liked the show better with Doc, Festus, Kitty and Sam.  Even liked Burt Reynolds when he played the half breed blacksmith and all the characters they ran through - Newly and Chad.

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-08-24 3:54 AM (#18933 - in reply to #18910)

COMSUBBBS

All of you, each and every post in this chain was a dose of catnip for the soul.....As Bob Hope used to say,"Thanks for the memories"....On REQUIN we had an old beat up black and white TV....it finally went TU and went out the GDU in numerous small pieces. In port after the Below Decks Watch passed "Secure from Turn To", there they were the sailors of Americas first line of defense, the men on the cutting edge of the Cold War...sitting in the messdeck watching Rocky and Bullwinkle..Boris and Natasha...Professor Peabody and Sherman...Dudley Do-Right, Inspector Fenwick and Nell....strictly for the intellectual content. Any of you old Norfolk subsailors remember J.P. Sidewinder? My all time favorite was LEAVE IT TO BEAVER....Man this thread is a booster shot of sunshine. DEX
docbeeghly
Posted 2008-08-24 5:11 AM (#18936 - in reply to #18910)
Senior Crew

Remember when you had seen the same movie over and over that you could sit in the after battery and turn down the sound and recite every scene word for word.
since retiring rite after the war in Nam, I got hook on "MASH" (wonder why that is) I think I taped every episode, now for over a year or two four days a week four episodes a day are aired on one of our tv channels and I think I can recite each one word for word. still get a charge out of each one.
The beagle doc
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software