Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "The Turkish skipper of ex-USS Tang, when asked about the difference between the German designed and built replacement boats for their retiring ex-US boats, is reported to have said, "American submarines are built for war, German submarines are built for export."
Something for the DBF Boys
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

BrunoAlaska
Posted 2008-08-26 11:28 AM (#19024)
Mess cooking

Subject: Something for the DBF Boys

This probably won't be exciting for a lot of you old salts, but to those of us that never had the pleasure of serving on board one of these beautiful beasts, it was a thrill.

I attended the 2008 U.S.S. Cobia (SS 245) reunion so I could give my thanks to the few remaining vets that could make the trip. I also wanted to see them start up the engines and take another tour through the old girl because they smell so darn good inside!! As I was on the tour, I saw a couple of fellas working on one of the engines and asked if they were going to be the ones to start them up. They were indeed, so I professed my green eyed jealousy of them and in the great spirt of sharing, they asked if I would like to be onboard while they did. Would I? WOULD I? YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

So I was able to be onboard and got to feel the wind tunnel that started when one of these babies is running. I can only imagine the thrill of "Full on Four" as Sir Dex says.

I made a short (~4 minute) video of the engines running and submit it for your viewing. Thank you! Thank You! to all the Submarine Vets that kept this wonderful country free and for saving me from having to speak Japanese or Russian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWCsP8CmKP8&fmt=18

Bruno Alaska

Runner485
Posted 2008-08-26 11:40 AM (#19025 - in reply to #19024)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Something for the DBF Boys

WOW! Thanks for that video clip Bruno. That was a Beethoven symphony to this old DBFer....
C Stafford
Posted 2008-08-26 11:46 AM (#19026 - in reply to #19024)
Senior Crew

Thanks for the posting. Sure brings back memories. It is nice to see a city museum that is not afraid of the little diesel smoke.
steamboat
Posted 2008-08-26 1:02 PM (#19034 - in reply to #19024)
Master and Commander

Oh Lordy! What SWEET music! Oh to be there one more time and cast off all lines!
Thank you Bruno.
Steamboat sends
jerrydf
Posted 2008-08-26 1:13 PM (#19036 - in reply to #19024)

Crew

Music to my ear, I am deaf in the right ear due to the DB Noise,

CA-124, SS-377, SS-480, SS-337, SSN-596, SSBN-644, SS-347, SSBN-657, SSN-653

It is better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid, Rather than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Palm Bay Ken
Posted 2008-08-26 1:35 PM (#19039 - in reply to #19036)

Great Sage of the Sea

Very impressive, but where was the cooling water mixed with the exhaust? I seem to remember that it was a lookouts responsibility to inform the OOD if cooling water wasn't seen.
Of course, the memory turned 71 today....................
bergall320
Posted 2008-08-26 1:44 PM (#19041 - in reply to #19024)
Holland Club

Thank you so much Bruno, that was music to these old ears ( well, what's left of them).
GGambel
RCK
Posted 2008-08-26 1:45 PM (#19042 - in reply to #19024)
Master and Commander

If I recall coreectly, and I wasn't an engineman, but black smoke after initial start up meant the mixture was too rich and white smoke was too lean a mixture. Maybe some engineering type can set the record straight.
Pete
Posted 2008-08-26 3:48 PM (#19050 - in reply to #19039)

Senior Crew

Happy Birthday
jerrydf
Posted 2008-08-26 4:00 PM (#19051 - in reply to #19024)

Crew

Prepare to surface four engines!!
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-26 5:22 PM (#19060 - in reply to #19024)
COMSUBBBS

Happy Birthday, Ken!!! Hope you have many more.

You'd get heavy black smoke on start up because of the extra fuel in the cylinders and a cold iron engine. Once the initial start-up the smoke turned to the color you see until a load was put on the generators. That's with a Fairbanks-Morse. Gm's smoked all the time that they could run.
Corabelle
Posted 2008-08-26 7:19 PM (#19065 - in reply to #19024)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: I knew I was a sailor in a former life!

I remember that sound! I remember that smell!

My brother had pretty much put his submariner days behind him, when on Thanksgiving, 1999, he was at my house for dinner, and I located a man who had served on the Sargo, the sub that sank the Sterlet. We took off from there, and I got him all fired up again after 60 years, to the point that one day he told me he woke up from a dream, hearing Ooogah, ooogah, dive, dive! And, he was back on the boat again.

Soon after, I started encouraging (he called it, nagging) him to record his memories of WWII and his days on the Sterlet. The rest, as they say, is history.

I still miss him. Well, I miss him after I get done being angry at him for dying. He had no right! He didn't ask permission or say goodbye.

Cora

BrunoAlaska
Posted 2008-08-26 8:57 PM (#19069 - in reply to #19039)
Mess cooking

Palm Bay Ken - 2008-08-26 3:35 PM

Very impressive, but where was the cooling water mixed with the exhaust? I seem to remember that it was a lookouts responsibility to inform the OOD if cooling water wasn't seen.
Of course, the memory turned 71 today....................

My understanding (woefully inadequate) They weren't allowed to use the river water for cooling. They have to use what is in the cooling lines due to environmental concerns. For this reason, (not to mention $5 a gallon for fuel, and I'm sure it's not MPG but GPM with these babys) they can only run them for 5-10 minutes. This run was about 6.5 minutes. I could be way off base, though.
PatH
Posted 2008-08-26 10:03 PM (#19073 - in reply to #19024)

Great Sage of the Sea

Aaahhhhhh!  I can almost smell that acrid smoke.....  Lovely!
GaryKC
Posted 2008-08-26 10:25 PM (#19074 - in reply to #19024)

COMSUBBBS

Fantastic, thanks for sharing. Exciting it is, again.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software