Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Without courage, you might as well not be in it. You’ve got to have courage--moral courage, physical courage--and honor. Honor means telling the truth even when it might not be to your advantage" Retired Capt. Charles W. Rush Jr. (85), Navy Cross recipient, when asked to give advice to Chiefs and Junior Officers in today's submarine service.
Humorous Posts
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-08-26 3:41 PM (#19049)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Humorous Posts

I see where another post I took a long time to compose got trashed, so I have found another venue to post my silly nonsense on and have had a crackerjack time this afternoon writing about Southern Waffle Houses. The participants are all Southerners, with their sense of humor running along the same lines as mine. In an effort not to trigger nastiness, I will confine my nonsensical diatribes and barking at the moon to that venue and try to conform to whatever the intended norm is here so as to not light fuses of canisters of divisive rhetoric. How's that? But I have to find enjoyment in the absurd, rediculous and cow pie tossing....May sound stupid, but I find joy in it and when things become un-fun, it's time to find another fire to toast your marshmellows over. It is embarassing to have posts you really enjoyed putting together ruined by nasty comment and pulled by the Webmaster. I plan to see that that doesn't happen again. I will do my best to simply agree with everyone and if not, post somewhere else. Hopefully we can make this a kind and gentle venue, free from comment that may rub someone's fur the wrong way. We live in a word where it has become socially proper and the accepted norm, to pull ones punches and "go along to get along". Somebody needs to put together an all smokeboat sailor board, for us rotten apples. DEX
Stoops
Posted 2008-08-26 4:10 PM (#19052 - in reply to #19049)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Humorous Posts

I happen to like Waffle Houses....I got started with them in South Carolina....Startex area....good food, good prices, and open when you were hungry. Good folks behind the counter....never have had anyone less than cheerful or humorous.

When Big John Fredricks and I were doing a long term steam trap survey in Port Arthur, TX, we used to stop at IHOP for breakfast until we found a shortcut that put us at a Waffle House not far from the Huntsman plant. The waffles were much better than the pancakes that were the standard side at IHOP. I'm not badmouthing IHOP, but I liked Waffle House waffles much better.

You can get a great breakfast anytime and if you are in a hurry, there's nobody faster.....It is also obvious no matter where you go, there are always the regulars who are greeted by their first name as soon as they walk in the door and those folks know half of the rest of the customers in the joint.

Not sure what their business model is or even if they are a public company, but they are doing something right.....might we worth looking at adding them to an investment portfolio.....

Thanks for your stories about the folk that frequent the WH that you visit

Edited by Stoops 2008-08-26 4:12 PM
John Bay
Posted 2008-08-26 4:13 PM (#19053 - in reply to #19049)
Old Salt

dex armstrong - 2008-08-26 6:41 PM

We live in a word where it has become socially proper and the accepted norm, to pull ones punches and "go along to get along". Somebody needs to put together an all smokeboat sailor board, for us rotten apples. DEX

Ray Stone had one but it went down the tubes because of too many rotten apples.
rjs2005
Posted 2008-08-26 4:26 PM (#19054 - in reply to #19049)

Old Salt

Dex,

As you stated in the PM you sent me, I know that I definitely took your diatribe in a manner not intended. I tend to be a little thickheaded (must be the radiation). I would never want to be the reason you don't feel free to share your wit and wisdom with this group. For the record, I got a HUGE kick out of the whole DVD wrapper story. For all: Dex and I have buried the hatchet (not in my head, either!!). I'm humbled to be allowed to converse with you, and take your jabs as much as you'd like. I'll endeavor to take them in the humour they are intended,

Yours in thickheadedness,
Chuck

BTW, Waffle Houses are few and far between here in South Florida, I truly miss em. How many eating establishments have a large selection of music on a jukebox devoted to themselves?

Edited by rjs2005 2008-08-26 4:28 PM
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-08-26 4:47 PM (#19055 - in reply to #19049)

Admin

It's extremely rare that I dump a thread.... I when I do, I do it quietly w/o fingerpointing (which is the reason I generally pull in the first place).  It's been a LONG time since I pulled one so I'm not sure where the phrase "another post" comes from but there was nothing wrong with your initial post Dex.  (you've been posting a bunch of funny stuff and I hope that doesn't stop)

I pulled the one in question because most of them "heal themselves" in a few days but this one seemed to linger (I think I have a pretty good "feel" for when they are going quickly into #2 san...)

My other rule of thumb is that when any two people dominate a thread and it basically turns into a pissing match between them, then it's of no interest to the board at large and should have gone to email long before. (for the record, I think one of the respondents was out of line but it doesn't matter who's "fault" it is, the end result is the same)

The other thing is that I often get PMs and email about threads that have turned sour, asking me to delete them for the good of the board - but again, I rarely do.  But note that just as many of those requests come from smokeboat sailors as nukes. 

Ah well.... it's hard to keep everybody happy these days...

Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-26 4:54 PM (#19057 - in reply to #19049)
COMSUBBBS

Don, you do a great job and we all know it gets mighty difficult at times.
Thanks for your efforts.
SOB490
Posted 2008-08-26 7:27 PM (#19067 - in reply to #19054)

Old Salt

>>>How many eating establishments have a large selection of music on a jukebox devoted to themselves?

Dixie Pig used to be my favorite while I was travelling in VA and GA on business - are they still around?
MAD DOG
Posted 2008-08-26 8:45 PM (#19068 - in reply to #19049)

Master and Commander

dex armstrong - 2008-08-26 6:41 PM

We live in a word where it has become socially proper and the accepted norm, to pull ones punches and "go along to get along". Somebody needs to put together an all smokeboat sailor board, for us rotten apples. DEX

Having been a smoke boat trained Boomer sailor ,aka retread,I have taken my share of flak from both sides of the fence.I think I can give it as well as I can
take it.
Most of the "pinging contests"we participate in are meant to be good natured and in the interest of good fun and brotherhood.
I've demonstrated in this forum and others that I consider political correctness
and social acceptability as the bane of a productive society and a detrement to
any meaningful discourse among intelligent individuals.(perhaps that's why they never pinned anchors on me LOL).If that attitude qualifys
me as a "rotten apple",I proudly stand guilty as charged.
I'm glad to hear that Dex and Chuck have come to terms.I only wish that some
of our "thin skinned"bretheren would refrain from reading between the lines and
acting as self appointed hall monitors.If we get out of line from time to time,
(and,no doubt we will),Don is perfectly capable of taking appropriate action.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Edited by MAD DOG 2008-08-27 5:02 AM
GaryKC
Posted 2008-08-26 10:03 PM (#19072 - in reply to #19049)

COMSUBBBS

Dex, please don't get all syrupy or appleistic. I tune in to channel Gentry often to watch your show. I get a big bowl of buttered popcorn, snicker and laugh out loud at your comic antics. Come on, last year you and Cora did verbal battle here and now seem to be very close. Next year, you and Chuck will be sharing coconut bra recipes. GAR
rjs2005
Posted 2008-08-27 4:03 AM (#19081 - in reply to #19049)

Old Salt

Coconut Bra Recipes? I know I'm a youngun, but I can't even BEGIN to wrap my neutron scarred brain around that one!

Chuck
subvetss
Posted 2008-08-27 5:55 AM (#19082 - in reply to #19049)
Senior Crew

Since this forum is for 'Submarine Discussion' perhaps a new forum should be created for posting of non-sub related items! There seems to be a multitude of them here.
Joe'the'Most
docbeeghly
Posted 2008-08-27 6:16 AM (#19083 - in reply to #19049)
Senior Crew

ris5000: I was going to whet your curiosity as to the coconut query with a pix of the Bash Girls, but I couoldnt find the pix in my vast assortment of nudes,(guess there wasnt enough nudity) maybe someone else will be so kind as to supply you with the Pix and a broad explanation of the coconut bra referral.
the beagle doc
Launcher Lary
Posted 2008-08-27 8:00 AM (#19086 - in reply to #19049)

Senior Crew

Don I don't think that ..."another post"... meant anything about this BBS, but in his history of posting between all the BBS's he's had his share of posts pulled, some rightfully so, because he laced some with too much bs which attracted the wrong responses, but that's only what I think...

...and hey DEX, how's about that email, only include the link to this mystical place that you..."had a crackerjack time this afternoon writing about Southern Waffle House"...so's that I can invade and pull yer pants down in front of the crowd.

Billy Bob
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-08-27 8:03 AM (#19087 - in reply to #19049)

COMSUBBBS

Hey, I agree. I have solved the problem to everyone's satisfaction. I promise you will see a totally different and toned down me. I have found a place for like minded rapscallions that provides a me a (Brer Rabbit term) "laughin' place". As one fellow said..."The only way you could offend us, would be to work one of us over with a cast iron skillet", so now everyone should be happy. I plan to agree with everyone and only post submarine related stuff and not attempt anything resembling humor....That's going to be tough because seeing life through a nonsesical prism, is my life's blood. I'm sort of a grown old class clown...a senior citizen bra strap snapper. This morning me and my fellow cyber miscreants got off on Krystal hamburger joints, known only to Southerners and folks visiting below the Mason-Dixon line. A fraternity brother who knows me (ATO), created the board and is about as free and easy as they come. I needed a fun place to drop anchor after all of the unexpected crap here. Chief Chuck, "took it outside" in a manner that proved him to be the exact opposite of the way I visualized him to be. We exchanged apologies in the way men who wear fish should do. It won't be necessary to do that again....I plan to park my individual opinions and the garbage that goes with making me, me..at the garden gate. I am damn sick of being tagged with lables I no longer deserve and being the guy painted as a perpetual goddam rogue elephant. I needed a free spirit romping ground where men engage in first ammendment guarenteed free speech without having words expunged because they don't meet the installed barbwire enclosure standard. This nation no longer produces leadership approaching Eisenhower, MacArthur, Bull Halsey, "Howlin Mad" Smith, Vinegar Joe Stillwell, Bradley, Chesty Puller, Doolittle, Gavin, Mark Clark...or God help him, George S. Patton...because those men said what was in their hearts and couldn't reduce themselves to conformance with majority opinion simply for the sake of "let's all get along"...I've got to restrict myself to coloring within the lines and keeping my place in the sheep dip line. DEX
docbeeghly
Posted 2008-08-27 9:01 AM (#19092 - in reply to #19049)
Senior Crew

Dex, send me an email of that special place so I dont have to watch what I say or the pix of nekid ladies I might be inclined to post ( just achein to post that one Billi Bob got pulled from Rays After Battery) even got some from mrs bumpy that might bring a chuckle, so far I aint into argueing politics, even if that explenitive deleted NUKE Stoops may be on opposite sides of the political fence and live so close to each other, ( I just drop in on him occasionally and steal some of his beer, and I may have to use him as a crash pad in case I get wiped out by a hurricane.)
the beagle doc
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-08-27 10:23 AM (#19093 - in reply to #19087)

Admin

Chief Chuck, "took it outside" in a manner that proved him to be the exact opposite of the way I visualized him to be. We exchanged apologies in the way men who wear fish should do.

Outstanding!

miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-08-27 12:00 PM (#19095 - in reply to #19083)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Humorous Posts...Yo, Doc...

is this the "incriminating photo" you are talking about??? I had to just pop back in on this one...

(guyanddolls.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments guyanddolls.jpg (75KB - 597 downloads)
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-08-27 12:10 PM (#19096 - in reply to #19095)

Admin

Yes'm.... them's the two UGLY ones!   A coupla' "last call mama's" to be sure!
Stoops
Posted 2008-08-27 12:36 PM (#19097 - in reply to #19096)
Master and Commander

Don Gentry - 2008-08-27 12:10 PM

Yes'm.... them's the two UGLY ones!   A coupla' "last call mama's" to be sure!

Patti is just being merciful to the board by not posting the one of three Bash B****es where ugly is defined by the one with the long black hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlackBeard
Posted 2008-08-27 12:36 PM (#19098 - in reply to #19049)

Great Sage of the Sea

From what I recall they were ALL ugly! Maybe I hadn't drank enough yet...

BB
Tom McNulty
Posted 2008-08-27 1:37 PM (#19102 - in reply to #19086)

Master and Commander

You'd know about pulled posts. Spiked heels and all. Let the new guys try and figure that one out unless you want to post an edited version. BTW, how's your daughter doing? I'd ask about you but your ruint beyond all help.
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-08-27 3:24 PM (#19106 - in reply to #19097)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Humorous Posts...Yo, Doc...Uh, Dave...

is this the one...hehehehe...sorry, Don...I couldn't resist this one either...and WHO IS THAT BIG BOY next to Gary...AND NOT RIC...

Edited by miss lumpy bumps 2008-08-27 3:27 PM

(The Bash Beauties.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments The Bash Beauties.jpg (66KB - 611 downloads)
Darrin
Posted 2008-08-27 3:49 PM (#19107 - in reply to #19049)

Great Sage of the Sea

To this day I am still pissed because my ex-wife and I couldn't agree on the finances required to make it to the Bash at the Ranch and now it is too late for those, she always gave me permission and then when it came time she spent all of the damned money.... But that has been a couple of years and I only missed out on one of the best parties in submarine history that and meeting a LOT of people from this and Ron's bbs and Olgoat's bbs which sadly has gone under along with Don Merrigan's bbs which to me started them all off on the path that we are on today. To this day I miss Cowboy and his ability to make light of everything that was going on around him and I wish that he was still with us to have one more bash at the ranch or 30 but I am not going to be greedy. Thanks Dex for all of your stories that take us back to our youth's when life was easier and more fun and when we thought that we had the world by the short hair's, I am sorry for all of the harpoons that I have sent your way over the years and life is way too short to stay mad at someone who wears dolphins or anyone else for that matter.

Darrin
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-08-27 9:34 PM (#19123 - in reply to #19049)

Great Sage of the Sea

I used to hit the Waffle House on the way home from the Flyin' Dutchman when I was on the 622 in Charleston. One of the things I really miss from back there.

Please, Uncle Dex, can we please, please, please, please, please hear the story about the Waffle House?

I need a good laugh. I had to send out 4 condolence cards today for FRA 261 Shipmates & Ladies.
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-08-27 10:15 PM (#19124 - in reply to #19049)

Great Sage of the Sea

I for one have always appreciated Dex's posts. His posts are well written, witty, and normally display a lot of thought. I don't like everything he says particularly when he insinuates that my time served on a nuke boat doesn't count for beans, but I am a big boy and served on submarines, I can handle it. The good things about his posts far outweigh any hackles he may raise. It would be a big loss to mental stimulation if nothing else, if he decides to temper his posts to the mundane and non-controversial pulp that some seem to find palatable.
Guys, sack up and remember what it was like on the boat when you got hard-assed in some strange form of camaraderie. if you can't do that then choose to ignore his posts. I don't watch shows I don't like, what compels us to read posts if we don't like what the person has to say?
I'd rather go hungry, than eat a bland meal.

BB

Edited by BlackBeard 2008-08-27 10:22 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software