Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "There is a touch of the pirate about every man who wears the dolphins badge" - Commander Jeff Tall, RN
My eldest had a very good day!!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Gary Webb
Posted 2008-08-26 10:56 PM (#19075)

Old Salt

Subject: My eldest had a very good day!!

Last week my older daughter (39 years old) took oldest grandson to sign up for socker. The womens socker coach came up to my daughter and ask her where her mother was as a parent needed to be there to sign up. After a bit of wait daughter explained that she was the parent. It made her day!!
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-08-27 3:16 AM (#19080 - in reply to #19075)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: My eldest had a very good day!!

she must have the same good youthful looks that I have, I am always being mistaken for Daniel's older brother....he says with a straight face.

Blue *_*
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-27 5:12 PM (#19116 - in reply to #19075)
COMSUBBBS

Only in your dreams, Mate. You forget that too many here have seen you two together.
iPOD
Posted 2008-08-27 11:39 PM (#19125 - in reply to #19075)

Master and Commander

Hey Gaz,

When you play "socker" do you or your opponent have to stand still and are they allowed to "sock" you back or do you have to take it in turns?

Is this another one of those sports like baseball where youse guys in the US are the "World Champins" or as the name suggests is this one of these "Southern" type sports where y'all gits to sock Marybelle without "er" hittin ya back or gittin trouble with Ma or Pa??

We here in Oz are curious about these quaint little localized sports.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2008-08-28 2:01 AM (#19126 - in reply to #19075)
Master and Commander

Resembling the latter portion of your question, I have to comment. Now it isn't Ma & Pa you have to worry about. It is being charged with assault, and your parents being sued in Civil Court for causing a stressful enviornment. Yes, it is even happening here in elementry school. Funny, it seems to only happen to children of wealthy parents. Those on the public dole, or just getting by, seem to be able to avoid this. Could it be there would be no profit in the latter cases?

On a second note. So many package stores, and grocery stores have been fined for selling alochol to minors, that the stores now require their clerks to card everyone. Makes a lot of old folks feel good that they are asked to prove they are over 21.

Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-08-28 5:38 AM (#19130 - in reply to #19126)

Master and Commander

Sewer Pipe Snipe - 2008-08-28 4:01 PM

So many package stores, and grocery stores have been fined for selling alochol to minors, that the stores now require their clerks to card everyone. Makes a lot of old folks feel good that they are asked to prove they are over 21.

yeah yeah.....I was asked for my ID in Georgia and that was because I was so youthful looking, not because of some stupid policy. Nice try there Walt! lol

Blue *_*
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-28 5:49 AM (#19133 - in reply to #19075)
COMSUBBBS

If we would believe that Blue, then it would be true that cows do jump over the moon.
While on the subject of Blue jumping over the moon bareback on a cow--My Grandson, Shane, 4 yrs old, asked me "Why did the dish run away with the spoon?" I told him that I don't rightly know, BUT, I would ask some of the really self-proclaimed wizards I know for the answer. Now I have to cover my arse and find a self-proclaimed wizard. I'm sure to find one out there among all these old worn out chiefs.

Edited by Ralph Luther 2008-08-28 5:50 AM
whalen
Posted 2008-08-28 6:25 AM (#19137 - in reply to #19075)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: diddling around was: My eldest had a very good day!!

There are many theories about the meaning of the rhyme Hey Diddle, Diddle. One of the most popular explanations for the cat and the fiddle pertains to Queen Elizabeth I.

Hey Diddle, Diddle was originally published in 1765, as High Diddle, Diddle and reflects the popular use of nonsense phrases in songs and rhymes. Shakespeare himself used the word diddle in his writing. And the phrase hey diddle, diddle is considered similar to a colloquialism found in many traditional English folk ballads: ‘hey nonny no.'

“The cat and the fiddle”
The cat is believed to represent Queen Elizabeth I who was nicknamed ‘The Cat’ because of the way she played or fiddled with her cabinet members, much like a cat will play with mice.

“The cow jumped over the moon”
It is suggested that the cow and the moon are also nicknames for members of Elizabethan court intrigue. Court intrigue was a huge part of life in the Elizabethan era much as political intrigue is part of our world today. There was very strict protocol regarding the behavior of members of court towards each other and towards the Queen and it is not surprising that nicknames would have been given to the various players.

The little dog laughed to see such fun”
The little dog was reportedly Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester. Some believe Elizabeth loved Robert others feel that they were simply very close friends. It is said that Elizabeth once referred to him as her ‘lap dog.’

“And the dish ran away with the spoon”
It is said that Elizabeth’s serving lady is represented by the dish and the spoon was the designation of the royal taster. These two servants fell in love and secretly eloped.

Source: http://childrens-verse.suite101.com/article.cfm/hey_diddle_diddle
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-28 6:32 AM (#19138 - in reply to #19075)
COMSUBBBS

Thanks, Whalen, for bailing me out on this. I'll be sure and pass all of this on to Shane. As Blue can agree, Shane will be sure to have further indepth questions to ask.
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-08-28 7:13 AM (#19139 - in reply to #19137)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: diddling around was: My eldest had a very good day!!

That was all very interesting mate, but......the real reason the dish ran away with the spoon is because...........................................

.........It could!

( true story mate )

Blue *_*
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-28 8:45 AM (#19144 - in reply to #19075)
COMSUBBBS

I can't describe the thrill of having a deep sincere discussion with a 4 year old grandchild. Man, it is a trip like no other. It doesn't matter whether it's about "Hi, diddle diddle", how do the clouds hold all that rain or about Jesus. If it doesn't excite you to your inards you had best look for a building to leap from because, friends, it don't get any better than that.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-28 8:49 AM (#19146 - in reply to #19075)
COMSUBBBS

POD, to answer all of those questions and to witness the action, gather up Alison and come see us. We've got room, Mate, and the doors are always open. Now the ball is in your court. Same goes for Spence and Lee.
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-08-28 2:48 PM (#19152 - in reply to #19146)

Master and Commander

Subject: as Mr T would say....

...'FOOL'

Haven't you learned from having me around? and to be honest I am the sensible and quiet one compared to POD.

he he he...

Blue *_*
Flapper
Posted 2008-08-28 5:04 PM (#19156 - in reply to #19152)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: as Mr T would say....

Blue from West Oz - 2008-08-28 3:48 PM...'FOOL'Haven't you learned from having me around? and to be honest I am the sensible and quiet one compared to POD.he he he...Blue *_*

So let me get this straight ... you're the Stan Laurel, to POD's Oliver Hardy?

He did it! Honest!
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-28 5:35 PM (#19159 - in reply to #19075)
COMSUBBBS

You nailed it, Bob!

FOOL????? What chew mean by fool? It's the only way I can get to see Alison and Lee again without drawing suspition. You've got some learnin to do, Mate.

Edited by Ralph Luther 2008-08-28 5:38 PM
Flapper
Posted 2008-08-28 5:39 PM (#19160 - in reply to #19159)

Master and Commander

Subject: Of course I did, Ralph!

Ralph Luther - 2008-08-28 6:35 PMYou nailed it, Bob!

That's why they call me 'The Carpenter', heh heh.

Edited by Flapper 2008-08-28 10:48 PM
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-08-29 5:29 PM (#19209 - in reply to #19156)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: as Mr T would say....

...well the size differences are similar!

Blue *_*
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software