Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "It's hard sometimes, but as long as we remember them around the campfire, they will live forever." -- Walt Specht
A Sense of Longing for a Ship
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Thomas Courtien
Posted 2008-08-29 5:15 PM (#19208)
Master and Commander

Subject: A Sense of Longing for a Ship

Last night, I was watching a You Tube video about some Sub Vets who served on the USS Francis Scott Key SSBN657. They were down at Fort Mc Henry and speaking to a Park Ranger and a tour guide dressed up as Francis Scott Key.

In the conversation, the Ranger asked “Where is the Key now?” The response was “razor blades”. While it is true that my qual boat has been totally scrapped, it is sad to think of it in such a disrespectful way. I do not wish I had made the Navy a career but I have always longed for my boats.

My dad was a merchant sailor in WWII. When I left the US Navy after 6 years he told me that every now and then I would get a deep sense of longing for my ship for the rest of my life. He was right; every so often, I think about my qual boat, the one I served on the longest, and feel an emptiness that she is no longer with us. It is almost like thinking about a long lost relative or friend.

That is why reunions are so great; it brings back the feelings and the memories. It does not replace the boat but it is as good as it is going to get. While in Groton this past reunion, it was great to visit an SSN; not my boat, but it was a submarine and it felt good to see, touch, hear, and smell one again.
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-08-29 5:55 PM (#19210 - in reply to #19208)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: A Sense of Longing for a Ship

Our Corpsman, Daring Doc Dalzell, has a 2 inch cube from the hull of the Gurnard after she was cut up. I would give up one of my children for a similar memento. (Actually, lately I'd give up either of the kids for a good bottle of Islay malt.)

BB
Gil
Posted 2008-08-29 9:01 PM (#19212 - in reply to #19208)
Master and Commander

Can't agree with you guys more.  I never thought I'd feel that way about the Pickerel or any boat, but I sure do now.  The Pickerel was sold to the Italians in the 70's and who knows what they did with it.

I remember leaving Pearl in January of '68 on the way to Yokosuka and hitting terrible storms (to me) for most of those days.  At first it was no big deal, but after a few days of watching the waves breaking off our clam shells and then watching the waves pummeling exposed piping I began to worry about  how much more the boat could take,  I gained new found respect for my boat and the power of the sea.  I remember being handed a life line one afternoon as I went topside for lookout and being amused at what a joke I thought that was.  It wasn't half an hour later the bridge went through green water and we came out pie eyed  and spitting up and choking on sea water like drowned rats. With our high lookout stations I never could not get over looking up at waves and then being under them for short seconds.

I remember when we arrived in Yokosuka in January and the Pickerel was too banged up to join the fleet.  Everybody else was sent out but us because of the Pueblo and it took the yard birds maybe three weeks to get us right.  For at least one week I believe we were the only Navy ship in Yokosuka.

I was only at sea  for a year and a half in my Reserve career, so I can imagine how you guys with more experience must feel about your "rides."  My only other experience at sea was riding boats on my weekend Reserve meetings.  Once or twice a year a diesel boat from San Diego would come up to Terminal Island, tie up next to the Roncador, and take us out to motor around Santa Catalina Island while we were fed breakfast and lunch.

On active Reserve I remember so many nights staggering back to the boat in Sasebo, Yokosuka, Kobe, Hong Kong, and Okinawa being so glad to see that big sail waiting to take me back.  Coming back from Westpac I remember thinking of the many times SS 524 brought us all back from what I felt was harm's way. I can still remember more than a few nights where we lost the bubble while snorkeling and large portions of the stern and/or bridge were exposed for more than a few moments in areas where we were not welcome.  While on the helm I could look over at the scope and see that ECM had picked up our position.

Wish my boat was a museum boat so I could at least have the opportunity to pay homage to it.

Edited by Gil 2008-08-29 10:06 PM
Roy Ator
Posted 2008-08-29 9:08 PM (#19213 - in reply to #19212)

Great Sage of the Sea

There are many quality museum boats available. I'm planning another visit to the ex-USS COD SS 224 next month with a group of disadvantaged kids (and I'm driving from Texas!). Use what is available. I've visited many of our memorial boats. Each and every trip has been very rewarding!
Land Lubber
Posted 2008-08-30 2:23 PM (#19225 - in reply to #19212)
Old Salt

Can't agree with you guys more. I never thought I'd feel that way about the Pickerel or any boat, but I sure do now. The Pickerel was sold to the Italians in the 70's and who knows what they did with it.

I fond this about the USS Pickerel. Hope it helps, Steve
http://www.economicexpert.com/a/USS:Pickerel:SS:524.html
Gil
Posted 2008-08-30 4:35 PM (#19227 - in reply to #19208)
Master and Commander

Thanks, but I've seen that info.  I was really wondering if the Pickerel winded up as a razor blade or in a sportscar or motorcycle.
RCK
Posted 2008-08-30 6:14 PM (#19228 - in reply to #19227)
Master and Commander

It really isn't the boat that I miss. It was the men who I identified with that made the boat memorable to me. When I visit a boat I remember the crews I served with during my youth and any memorabilia brought me back to those days of yore. I served on the Gudgeon and she is now a memorial boat that can be toured in Turkey renamed the "Hiza Reis". I was also sent to the Pickeral from the Gudgeon to fill in an empty slot for a "Northern Run" while the Gudgeon went to a "Westpac Trip". I returned to the Gudgeion when it was finished. No, it was never the boat, but it is a means for me to recall the crew and the good times we shared.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-08-31 9:13 AM (#19237 - in reply to #19208)
COMSUBBBS

Robert, that is why I enjoy Boat Reunions so much. I coordinate the reunions for the Sennet SS-408 and it is really a "trip" for me to see the guys get together and BS while the wives look at us and shake their heads. Remember old friendships and make some new ones, That's what it is all about.
fritz
Posted 2008-09-01 6:04 PM (#19244 - in reply to #19213)

Crew

Roy Ator - 2008-08-29 10:08 PM

There are many quality museum boats available. I'm planning another visit to the ex-USS COD SS 224 next month with a group of disadvantaged kids (and I'm driving from Texas!). Use what is available. I've visited many of our memorial boats. Each and every trip has been very rewarding!

Roy, I wouild love to get together with you and the kids that you are bringing up to the USS Cod in Cleveland. I am about 30 minutes away from her. Do you have any idea about when you might be here? I will let "The Powers that be" know when it is so we can have the red carpet ready for you.
You can email me at fritzh613"at"ameritech.net. The "at" = @ in the address, and we'll figure out what is happening from there.

fritz sends >>>>
Roy Ator
Posted 2008-09-02 5:29 AM (#19251 - in reply to #19244)

Great Sage of the Sea

Fritz,
Did my Email response get through your spam filters? [sent last evening].
BTW, I'm not bringing the kids but meeting them there. They are coming from Eaton Rapids.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software