Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Submariners are a special brotherhood, either all come to the surface or no one does. On a submarine, the phrase all for one and one for all is not just a slogan, but reality.” -- VADM Rudolf Golosov of the Russian Navy
Sub Chasers in the Pacific; Boat Identified.
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-09-03 5:33 AM (#19262)

Master and Commander

Subject: Sub Chasers in the Pacific; Boat Identified.

I got this photo today from the son of one of the women my wife works with. He's flying the chopper that is chasing one of our boats while on exercises in the Pacific recently. He didn't say where or which boat.
I wonder if he dropped any PDC's on them?

I'll have to add the photo when I get home tonight; it's too large for here and I don't have a way to shrink it while I'm at work.
Guess I'm wrong again; I did have some editing capabilities here.
XIN LOI; GI

Edited by Doc Gardner 2008-09-10 12:07 PM

(Me and Another Helo Tracking a Sub1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Me and Another Helo Tracking a Sub1.jpg (76KB - 736 downloads)
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-09-03 5:54 AM (#19263 - in reply to #19262)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Sub Chasers in the Pacific

Looks like a classic broach.
Gil
Posted 2008-09-03 9:02 AM (#19268 - in reply to #19262)
Master and Commander

I know you guys are good at answering all questions on subs and identifying boats.  I'll really be awe struck if somebody could identify our boat from that!!!!!!
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-09-03 9:35 AM (#19270 - in reply to #19262)
COMSUBBBS

I would imagine there are sound signatures available to whiz kids that run these ASW programs. Numbers on the superstructures now are just for those of us not able to access the data.
Darrin
Posted 2008-09-03 2:08 PM (#19275 - in reply to #19262)

Great Sage of the Sea

It appears to be a first or early second flight 688 due to the fairwater planes are still on it and where the cavitation is coming from at the screw, no clue as to the actual hull# because all of the first flight 688's looked the same on the outside and the second flight the only noticable differnce on the pressure hull was the VLS and that started with the 719. And IF I remember correctly the USS Newport News a 750's hull# still had fairwater planes on her also and with the 688I (or what it is called now because 719 and above were the 688I's when I got out in '94) have no fairwater planes because the Navy changed them over to bow planes.. FYI the USS Honolulu SSN 718 was the only 688 to have split stern planes, which in theory gave us a deeper and faster operating envelope then any other 688 in the fleet.

Darrin
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-09-10 12:07 PM (#19504 - in reply to #19268)

Master and Commander

Gil - 2008-09-03 10:02 AM

I know you guys are good at answering all questions on subs and identifying boats.  I'll really be awe struck if somebody could identify our boat from that!!!!!!

I don't know if this qualifies for being awe struck but the pilot of the chopper has revealed that the boat is USS Los Angeles.
His aunt works with my wife and that's how we got the photo. My wife and I send packages to deployed troops and the chopper pilot was deployed to Iraq at the time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software