Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS SKATE (SSN 578) was the first vessel ever to surface at the North Pole, when on March 17, 1959 she surfaced there to conduct memorial services for the renowned Arctic explorer Sir Hubert Wilkins.
WWII grave markers...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-09-03 12:17 PM (#19272)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: WWII grave markers...

Hey all,

I know this question has been asked before, but can't remember where or who they can be obtained from. One of our Bergall crew is the Storekeeper for Hoosier Base and was making inquiries of some of our WWII guys...so I told him I would put up a query to here...hoping for a reply. I will be back in a little while to see if anyone has
an answer to my query.

Thank you.
snakeyez
Posted 2008-09-03 12:28 PM (#19273 - in reply to #19272)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: WWII grave markers...

I sure do! The USSVI Groton Base took over the sale of these markers sometime in 2005 from the USSVWWII Thames River Chapter. Ed Childs, USSVI Groton Base Memorial Committee chairman, is the man you need to seek out to get one of these markers. There may not be any left. His email address is memorial@subvetsgroton.org I think. If not, you should be able to find something on their website - http://www.subvetsgroton.com.

edit:
If you want the pole, you must specify that you want the pole in addition to the marker.

Here's the one I purchased for my grandfather's grave:

Edited by snakeyez 2008-09-03 12:42 PM
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-09-03 1:39 PM (#19274 - in reply to #19273)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: WWII grave markers...Thank you...

Lance...I appreciate you taking the time to post back with the info. Our crewmember, Sam Abernathy, is very appreciative, as well.

snakeyez
Posted 2008-09-03 6:02 PM (#19278 - in reply to #19272)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: WWII grave markers...

No problem Patti. I just hope there are some left. The way I understood it, there were only x number of the USSVWWII markers left.
Corabelle
Posted 2008-09-03 6:36 PM (#19282 - in reply to #19278)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: How much are these, Lance?

I bought a similar style marker and pole for our father's Spanish-American War grave stone. I didn't want the pole and caught the young men that were getting ready to plant it into the freshly poured concrete base when I had the stone reset.

All anyone would have to do to steal the marker would be to unscrew it from the base, so I had the marker embedded into the stone.

This old military stone is not in a National Cemetery; it's in our local cemetery. Would a National Cemetery allow this marker to be embedded into a stone that's in their cemetery? They're such sticklers about all the stones looking identical.

Cora
snakeyez
Posted 2008-09-04 5:11 AM (#19284 - in reply to #19282)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: How much are these, Lance?

Yeah, if possible I think it'd be better to get this 6" diameter disc put into a headstone instead of stealable on the rod. I didn't have a choice as my grandfather had been gone for 10 years.

At the time I ordered, the marker and rod together were $30 and shipping was $10 (large, HEAVY, and cumbersome). Shipping has probably gone up by now.
Corabelle
Posted 2008-09-04 9:38 AM (#19289 - in reply to #19284)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: How much are these, Lance?

You didn't have a choice because your grandfather had been gone for ten years? My father died in 1945 and I had the marker embedded in his stone just a couple (maybe three, because Elmer saw it before he died) years ago.

I'll e-mail you a picture of how it looks.

Cora
Corabelle
Posted 2008-09-04 10:27 AM (#19293 - in reply to #19284)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Hey, Lance!

I found the old pictures of my father's gravestone; scanned them to the hard drive (with much difficulty - I'm not good at this); then tried to send them to the cyber address you have listed in your profile. This "address" seems to be a web site, and my computer would not send them to this site.

How can I send pictures to you? I have them hanging in cyber space until I hear from you. I would send you my e-mail address, but I have no place to send it, and I don't want it published on the BBS.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-09-04 10:28 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software