Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: When the nuclear powered submarine USS SEADRAGON surfaced at the North Pole while charting the Northwest passage in August 1960, the crew organized a baseball game. Because of Polar time differences, when a batter clouted a home run it would land in either the next day or in 'yesterday'.
Were Battle Flags two-sided?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2008-09-03 6:20 PM (#19279)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Were Battle Flags two-sided?

I'm still scanning old WWII pictures, and have several of the Battle Flag of the Sterlet. On most of them, the "fish" (the Sterlet) is swimming left. On two of them, the fish is swimming right. In addition, the small Japanese "kill" emblems are also reversed. Whichever way the fish is swimming, it is swimming towards four little emblems. In other words when the fish is swimming left, theses four emblems are on the left side of the flag; when the fish is swimming right, the emblems are on the right.

I thought maybe the two "different" pictures had just been printed on the wrong side of the negative. I know that Elmer often reversed pictures when he was developing them, (but he didn't take these pictures, so wouldn't have had the negatives) but that's not right either, because the same buildings in both the right and left swimming fish are on the left side of the picture. Throoughly confused? Me, too.

Anyway back to my original question: were Battle Flags printed on both sides? Even so, I don't know why things were reversed on the flags. I would think that they would have them identical on each side, not mirror-images.

I may ask someone to post these pictures on the board...it might make my question clearer.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-09-03 6:22 PM
Ric
Posted 2008-09-03 6:35 PM (#19280 - in reply to #19279)

Plankowner

Subject: Elmers photos

Cora, here are the two pictures you sent me to post for you

In the first photo Elmer is wearing what is known as "undress blues", No piping on collar or cuffs. The "undress blues" can be worn with or without neckerchief. He is also wearing under the jumper his long sleeved blue sweater.

The next picture, I have done a bit of research and have no real firm idea but San Diego or San Francisco are good possibilities after the war was over.

Ric
Posted 2008-09-03 6:36 PM (#19281 - in reply to #19279)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Were Battle Flags two-sided?

Some were, some weren't depended on the boat. I would think that most were.
Corabelle
Posted 2008-09-03 6:43 PM (#19283 - in reply to #19280)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Guess I''ll guess San Diego, then.

When the war was over, the Sterlet returned to Midway, waiting further orders; then made landfall in the U.S. of A. in San Diego.

These young guys (Elmer is sitting down in the middle) look happy, so we'll say they're really glad to be home again.

Dang you, Elmer - you could have answered that question!

Cora

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software