Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In World War II the Germans lost 782 submarines, the Japanese lost 130, Great Britan and Commonwealth countries lost 88 subs, Russia lost 110 submarines and the United States lost only 52 submarines. Twenty-three of the Japanese subs lost were victims of the American Submarine Service.
Sub Base New London News
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Thomas Courtien
Posted 2008-09-07 5:34 AM (#19374)
Master and Commander

Subject: Sub Base New London News

Here is a link to an article about NL. Nice photo of base with article.

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=20d9819c-5f80-46d7-adee-fa3415a55d0a

Bear
Posted 2008-09-09 12:33 PM (#19469 - in reply to #19374)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Sub Base New London News

but they are still not addressing from what I understood was the major issue the bridge the could be blocked/jammed or  damaged and trap the boats at the pier (as except for the channel it is not deep enough for them to go under the RR bridge like the Hood Canal Bridge)   

Lee Davenport
Posted 2008-09-13 11:29 AM (#19600 - in reply to #19374)
Crew

A recent issue of Trains magazine had a short article and photo of the Railroad replacing the draw bridge with a more modern style one. But, if it were dropped into the river, it would still block the channel. Also, something else I never understood. The boats in Kings Bay have to navigate a long narrowl channel almost down to Jacksonville, Fl in order to get out into the Atlantic. This one would also be easy to block. Just sink a large boat in the channel...
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-09-13 6:47 PM (#19606 - in reply to #19374)
COMSUBBBS

Chhheezz you guys! Just when-just when have you ever known the Navy to use common sense? St. Mary, GA was near the end of the world a few years ago. There was near nothing there except for a paper mill. Almost 40 miles from anything and that led the Navy in their infinite wisdom to think what a nice place to base nuclear submarines. Far, far away from civilization. Of course any idiot with half a brain would know that the Navy would bring civilization, or something fairly close to it, with them.
Block the channel? Oh hell, we'll just blast our way out if need be. Oh yeah, much thought went into Kings Bay.
crystal
Posted 2008-09-14 6:47 AM (#19617 - in reply to #19374)

Master and Commander

Hey Jan, I've always wanted to find out - before I moved up here to the great NW of the NW, the Hood Canal Bridge collapsed in a storm and was closed for over a year.  What happened to the subs then, did they clear a channel right away? What?
Bear
Posted 2008-09-14 10:39 AM (#19624 - in reply to #19374)

Great Sage of the Sea

John

We did just like they do today Because it was high wind from a storm that sunk it they had they bridge already fully open additionally water so deep it actually made a wider opening as the western span sunk . The more serious problems were what to do if it ever stuck shut or partially open, (I always was told we would just dive and go under it)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software